Vegetarian Lean Protein

Options
Hey there!
I seem to be low on good sources of lean protein!
I'm a vegetarian, hate nuts and nut butters so much I tell people I'm allergic to them, and cottage cheese grosses me out...
Yogurt and egg whites are great but there's only so much of them you can eat before you want to mix it up, you know?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love tofu, seitan and tempeh. Lots of great easy reciepes on youtube.
  • littlechiaseed
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I made a "Buddha bowl" today basically you have a base of a grain like quinoa, then veggies and a lean protein like tofu and sauce. Very filling and you can make a big batch of quinoa to last a few meals.
  • wreckchord
    wreckchord Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tofu and tempeh are my favorite things ever. However, they aren't considered a "lean protein" because a serving has more than 3g of fat and 55 calories per serving. I'm not having a problem with proteins, just specifically the leans ones.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Lentils. Red or green or brown or black. I love them! 1 cup is 230 calories, 18 gr protein and 16 gr of fiber. And only 1 gr of fat. Perfect food!
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas and black beans are awesome and very versatile.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second seitan. It's my favorite veg based protein.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    wreckchord wrote: »
    Tofu and tempeh are my favorite things ever. However, they aren't considered a "lean protein" because a serving has more than 3g of fat and 55 calories per serving. I'm not having a problem with proteins, just specifically the leans ones.

who says that's not considered lean? It certainly isn't fatty.

Anyway...lentils, quinoa, oats, bean varieties, potatoes, etc...
  • littlechiaseed
    Options

I'm not sure you can get much leaner with vegetarian protein sources unless do a lot of protein shakes.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Fats and oils are important. Eat some soy beans, flax, chia.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

who says that's not considered lean? It certainly isn't fatty.

Anyway...lentils, quinoa, oats, bean varieties, potatoes, etc...

This. I'm also puzzled by the "definition" of lean proteins and why it would matter if a particular protein source is lean if you are getting plenty of protein overall. Plenty of meat sources considered lean have as much fat as tofu. Other than nuts/seeds, peanuts, eggs and full-fat dairy, vegetarian sources seem on the lean side, to me.
  • Chefbfinley
    Chefbfinley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The best way to get the needed protein as a vegetarian or vegan is having 1) a protein meal supplement via shake 2) large qaunities of prepare vegan/vegetarian food items that have added vegetable protein lastly the best source would be beans and seeds of any kind