Juicing for a Beginner

I am a total crappy food lover. I have been able to kick a lot of my Coke habit, but still rely on one in the morning to wake up. I hate coffee and tea is just too hot for the summer. I would love to do some juicing since I don't/can't eat until around eleven. I get hungry and thirsty, but I am not capable of really eating anything in the morning without getting nauseated and I am hoping the juice would give me some energy and some healthy calories in the morning.

I know the big thing is a VitaMix and I would love to have one at some point. But I am not really in the position to drop a ton of money on one right now, and I would love to know that I could stick to juicing for a few months before I bought one.

Is there a decent juicer you can recommend that is under $100, preferably even around $50 that doesn't leave too much pulp in the juice (hate pulp, literally can't drink it without gagging)? I have already checked Craigslist and everything and there are no cheap Vitamixex, there are other juicers, but I have no idea of which ones are good. And do you have a few recipes that have some green or healthy ingredients masked by fruit? I can't really do the green juicing yet, but I know straight fruit juice isn't really that healthy, even if fresh. Thanks!

Replies

• vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    I don't have recommendations for a juicer - we got ours at bed bath and beyond. But for easy and tasty beginner juices, I recommend adding carrots. They are really sweet and tasty, mix it with apple or orange. You can add a little ginger too . . . some may argue that carrots have too much sugar but I think it is a good trade for all of the good vitamins.

Good luck and happy juicing!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    I'm with you on the pulp in juice - ICK. I don't have a juicer but back in my days of being really picky (which lasted for maybe a week when I was 6 or so...) I used to demand that my parents strain my OJ to get the pulp out. I know you can get hand strainers at any kitchen gadget store or even (probably) at Wal-Mart or Target.

I seem to remember drinking a lot of *apple* juice rather than strained orange juice as a kid...go figure. ;)
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    I got a Black & Decker JE2200B from amazon a couple months ago for $30. It's not super heavy duty but it gets the job done and it's relatively easy to clean. Apples, pineapple, and kiwi are all good to add to sweeten up your juice. Spinach is also a good way to get something green in and it's pretty mild tasting (but it takes a LOT of spinach to get just an ounce or two of juice). Celery and cucumber are more productive juice-wise, but they will have a stronger flavor.
  • BMW6Series
    BMW6Series Posts: 124
    Getting a Breville Juicer off of Amazon for 83.00 on Friday. Breville is the brand of juicer that the guy used in the Documentary on "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It comes very highly rated by owners.

I started a juice fast today using Odwalla and Naked Juice juices until my juicer arrives.

I already love carrot juice.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Getting a Breville Juicer off of Amazon for 83.00 on Friday. Breville is the brand of juicer that the guy used in the Documentary on "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It comes very highly rated by owners.

I started a juice fast today using Odwalla and Naked Juice juices until my juicer arrives.

I already love carrot juice.

I have one of these juicers but I have yet to use it, but it did come highly recommended. It was on the Best Buy website.
  • BMW6Series
    My second day of Juice fast. Waiting for my juicer. I think that will be way more fun that just drinking Odwalla or Naked juice. (even though, those are yummy)
  • BMW6Series
    My wife got me a Breville 850 watt juicer and 50 dollars of fresh produce this morning. So I started today. It was fun, and I think that I am already feeling a little better.

I can't say that I had a whole beet, a cup of spinach and half a cucumber for breakfast before (along with all sorts of other fruit and vegetables). Going to go make myself another nice juice and have ginger in it. Yum.

BMW6
  • pwrchrd
    pwrchrd Posts: 25 Member
    Just watched the fat, sick and nearly dead and am thinking about doing a juice fast as well. How goes yours?
  • BMW6Series
    lost like 6 pounds so far.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Not what I thought this thread was going to be about. :bigsmile:
  • MsNiss
    MsNiss Posts: 57
    I have a Breville juicer and it's really awesome. It takes all the pulp out, and even has a strainer in the catching cup to get any trailing pieces of pulp.

I juice carrots, celery, cucumber, tomatoes and cabbage, and then add an apple. Honestly, all you really can taste is the slight sweetness of the apple, and you don't even know that you are drinking all those veggies.

I love juicing, and if you have the patience to clean it after each use, I'm sure you will LOVE it too!

good luck :)
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    I would say that you should save your money for a VitaMix. I have one at home and I extremely pleased with it. Other than the fact that it is the loudest machine in all of creation, it's brilliant. It blends fruits and veggies perfectly. It can also be used for other tasks in your kitchen, including many of the things a food processor can do.

Don't get a juicer. All of that pulp that does not get into your juice contains valuable fiber and all sorts of nutritious goodness. It seems wasteful to me, unless you use the pulp in other recipes in your kitchen.
  • BMW6Series
    I had kale, one apple, one tangelo, one green pepper and one cucumber with the skin on for my juice this morning. It was really quite yummy.