Bananas

Options
Are bananas a bad breakfast? I have about 2 bananas a day, and all I hear is they're high in carbs, and really not that good for you?

I've started dieting and eating it with a tablespoon of peanut butter every morning, and have had results.

Any feed back on a better breakfast food lower than 300 calories?

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Bananas are food, they aren't going to do you any harm.

As long as they fit within your calorie goal and you are eating a variety of foods to give you good nutrition, you are all good.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Bananas are no different than any other food. Weigh them, log them, eat them if they fit your goals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    They are fine. I'm assuming you eat more than just bananas all day long.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I have a banana every single day with my breakfast, and haven't seen any ill effects from it yet.
    Unless you have a medical condition, carbs aren't going to be the problem, it's the calories that you want to be concerned with. As long as you aren't going over your calorie goal, all is well. :)
    My breakfasts usually range in the 300-400 calorie category, though I suppose if you were looking for something lighter, cereal, or maybe an egg and toast. Oatmeal is fairly low, depending on what you put in it.
  • kristina_white2
    kristina_white2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Okay great. I love bananas just reading has the back of my mind working! Thanks for all the input!
  • pebble4321
    Options
    You can read good and bad things about almost every food out there. Don't get sucked in by sensational headlines - they generally exist to sell you something.
    Unless you have a medically diagnosed reason to avoid any kind of food, just get started by eating a wide variety of food within your calorie goal. it really is that simple for many people.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I mix banana with my protein. For both carbs and potassium.
  • kristina_white2
    kristina_white2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do bananas for breakfast and a shake after my dinner. So I just needed some advice to see how they help others ! :)
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Most mornings I have a banana, a triple zero yogurt, and oatmeal. Right at 400 calories.
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. I eat them almost every day. I know they're high in sugar compared to other fruit and sometimes they make me go over my sugar goals.... but Im ok with going over sugar goals a bit from a banana if it keeps me away from less healthy treats. I've never had bananas slow down my weightloss. Sooooo for me and my plan, no bananas aren't bad.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As some posters have said there are no bad foods. Personally I eat 2 Bananas a day. I also eat a lot of fruit sometimes two to three pieces a day and there are plenty of people out there and on this website will say that fruit is bad for you because it is sugar.

To put things in perspective since January 1st 2016 I've lost 80 pounds. I haven't given up any foods that I like. If I had to give up stuff I like I would have never been able to do it. I eat Wendy's hamburgers have beers on the beach and pizza.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana most days and have lost 111 pounds. I think they're fine.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Bananas are great, tasty and high in fiber.
  • pebble4321
    Options
    I do bananas for breakfast and a shake after my dinner. So I just needed some advice to see how they help others ! :)

Bananas are just a food. They don't "help" or "not help".
    They don't have special properties - positive or negative. They aren't magic. They aren't evil.
    They are one of many foods which humans can eat and enjoy - we are omnivores, so we can survive quite happily on a vast range of different foods. It really is that simple!
    PS. The same goes for every other food out there too.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good! I like to add them to protein drinks to give them more flavor+it's more filling!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I would get that flickering feeling in my eyelid a lot. My dad said it was because I wasnt getting enough potassium so I should eat a banana. i would eat a banana and it would go away. Now as an adult when my eyelid flickers i do the same thing. I have no idea how much truth there is in this but I will continue to eat bananas so I don't have that annoying eyelid flickering thing.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I feel like I've seen several "don't eat bananas for breakfast!" articles lately, and as someone who eats a banana for breakfast every day, I always get suckered in. The basic understanding I've gotten isn't that bananas are bad, just that they don't keep you fill or give you energy as long as other breakfast choices do. This isn't a huge concern for me because my breakfast and lunch aren't very far apart, but that's the general takeaway. My advice is that if you find yourself satisfied on bananas, then no reason not to keep doing it! But if you find yourself tired or at risk of bingeing in the morning, maybe consider adding some eggs or oats or peanut butter or something.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I would get that flickering feeling in my eyelid a lot. My dad said it was because I wasnt getting enough potassium so I should eat a banana. i would eat a banana and it would go away. Now as an adult when my eyelid flickers i do the same thing. I have no idea how much truth there is in this but I will continue to eat bananas so I don't have that annoying eyelid flickering thing.

I eat them because it seems to make my Restless Leg Syndrome better!!! I'm willing to admit it might be a placebo though, lol
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Samanthor wrote: »

I eat them because it seems to make my Restless Leg Syndrome better!!! I'm willing to admit it might be a placebo though, lol

I'm going to start calling my disorder "restless eyelid syndrome." thank you.
    I feel like it's a placebo for me as well. I'll continue to do it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

OMG i get the flickering eye thing sometimes too. I always thought it was a nerve twitch or something. I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one this happens too :lol:

Unfortunately magnesium is the only thing that keeps my restless leg syndrome under control.

OP i eat a banana nearly everyday, they were the food i missed most when i was doing low carb. I'll have them for dessert though, over ice cream or protein fluff.