Panic attacks

Options
Anyone ever had panic attacks that developed after starting high intensity workouts and losing weight? Is that a thing or am i just crazy?

Replies

• CallaBooty
    CallaBooty Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is a thing. My panic attacks stem from a sexual assault, but translates to working out. And anxiety/panic can be triggered by anything. It is all very personally rooted, and few have exactly the same triggers.
    So far, all I have learned 100 percent is that avoiding the thing that you fear FEEDS your fear.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    JoeFedak wrote: »
    Anyone ever had panic attacks that developed after starting high intensity workouts and losing weight? Is that a thing or am i just crazy?

I've been suffering from GAD and agoraphobia for years. Unfortunately, the only way to deal with it is face it. But there are some techniques to help you cope. Also, try to keep caffeine intake to a minimum and make sure you do the proper breathing techniques when during your workout. One piece of advice I definitely can give you: do NOT avoid what you fear! This is how I got agoraphobia and I'm still trying to get over it after nine years...
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yeah my anxiety creeps up whenever my heart rate is really high, (usually during HIIT), it's because when I used to get panic attacks a racing heart was the first symptom, so now when my heart rate goes up my brain gets fearful that a panic attack is coming. I ignore it and push through - but it's hard.
    Also I get nauseous during a hard work out and that makes me anxious too.

I find workouts are as much a battle against fear as a physical workout but I have come such a long way I'm not stopping now.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced anxiety and panic attacks (and other anxiety issues). When I first started working out after developing this it would kick in literally within seconds. So I would stop and walk it off as best i could and get going again. It took determination and hard work but for the most part, in my workouts at home I have no issues with the attacks any more but if I'm more anxious than my usual base level it will creep up again. It is much much more manageable now though, the exercise helped control it a lot but it took some time to get here.

I do run outside sometimes and I still have the panic then to some level or another. It's frustrating but I just keep trying!
  • clyn90
    clyn90 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah my anxiety creeps up whenever my heart rate is really high, (usually during HIIT), it's because when I used to get panic attacks a racing heart was the first symptom, so now when my heart rate goes up my brain gets fearful that a panic attack is coming. I ignore it and push through - but it's hard.
    Also I get nauseous during a hard work out and that makes me anxious too.

I find workouts are as much a battle against fear as a physical workout but I have come such a long way I'm not stopping now.

Definitely this!!! Some times my heart rate gets too high (medical thing) and I start to worry I may pass out and I have asthma so when my breathing gets a little too labored I feel panicked as well. And definitely nausea will give me a panic attack for sure but I hate hate hate throwing up!!!!!!