SL5x5 - overhead press challenging...

Options
Hi folks.

I'm a few weeks into SL5x5, and enjoying it immensely (and also seeing the benefits already). My question is whether it is normal to struggle a bit with the overhead press - in my case, I've not yet broken 30Kg with it - whilst all the other exercises seem pretty easy so far (squat etc.). Does this just suggest I just need a bit more work on my shoulders, or perhaps everyone finds the OH press difficult at first?

thanks.

Replies

• seven3
    seven3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. In fact, Mehdi warns about that on his website, reasoning that because the muscles involved in the OHP are smaller, the 5 lb progression is more significant than it is for lifts like squat or deadlift. Most people will first stall on the OHP, and progress slower than on other lifts. I know that's been true for me.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Watch this for help

But yes - it uses the smallest muscles out of the bench, squat, and deadlift, so it will be your weakest (takes forever to get to 1 plate depending on your size).
  • jtcedinburgh
    jtcedinburgh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I felt like such a weedy man struggling my way through my last set of 5 (at 27.5Kg) - made it, but it was tough!
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you find your ohp stalling it could benefit ftom added workload to the muscle groups involved. If your press is stalling and it isnt due to technique error then it is due to slowed hypertrophy. When you stall on SL5x5 I believe they say to drop the weight back when you do I would honestly modify the program slightly.

When you drop the weight back I would pull it back to about 90%(if you're press 100 for 5x5 drop back to 90) when you do you have to have a way to make that weigt harder. Easiest way is to increase reps I would do this with a final amrap on the final set like this. Using our 90 for 5x5 example above
    Set 1 90x5
    Set 2 90x5
    Set 3 90x5
    Set 4 90x5
    Set 5 90x5+ here you rep out the weight guarenteeing you are getting sufficient workload done.

This will help to induce hypertrophy which is one of the main factors in upperbody pressing movements they are the most dependent on your muscle mass. Squats and deadlifts can usually get ground out by sheer force of will but with benching and pressing you will not be able to progress until you get bigger.

In addition to this make sure you are eating to fuel your gains.

Also yes it is difficult to increase the press 5 lbs each session 2.5lb plates are easy to come by.
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Also! Your press should roughly be around 60-66% of your barbell bench press. Often if you put 5-10 lbs on your press you likeky gained 10-20 on your bench.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Bad OHP is bad OHP form 99% of the time. Post form video.

common issues are incorrect grip width (thumbs at shoulders is right, or thereabouts)
    or barbell not in a vertical path (should have to move your head around it a bit, most people hold it forward)
    or elbows flaring.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    OHP is for sure the hardest compound lift to progress on in my experience. As others have said, make sure your form is spot on and you're recruiting the right muscle groups to help you. You might also consider investing in a set of fractional weight plates so you can make smaller progressions - slower progress that is continual is better than stalling. I purchased a set of fractionals that are 1.25 pounds each so I can go up 2.5 lbs each session, but I have seen even smaller options available. There are also lots of DIY resources for making your own fractional-type thing out of chains or metal washers.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I did SL5X5 a while back and I progressed great with all the lifts except OHP. I actually did not progress at all with it. I used an empty barbell the entire time. I've moved on from that program now though and don't even do OHP at all, lol.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I experienced the same. I actually got the deload message and worked on the empty bar for a bit longer than the program suggested while and then tried again. It is frustrating when the other numbers are going up, but I think being consistent will help a lot.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Assuming form is ok, 2 things you can do to continue progressing are: 1) go to 5x3 (or 3x5) sets x reps instead of 5x5 and/or 2) use fractional plates to reduce the weight increments (you can get them in a paired 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 & 1# set).

5# increments and 5x5 sets/reps is just too much for most people doing OHPs when they get up to their max weight.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling big time with OHP, the other 4 lifts I've upped the weights every week, but am still working with the 20kg bar for OHP, slowly building up reps and sets, starting at 3x3 and finally hitting 5x5 today. Next week I'll add 2.5kg to the bar and if necessary drop back down to 3x5 or even 3x3.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    1.25 lb plates help get me past sticking points. Also watching Mark Rippetoe's form video. Also, oddly, doing OHP with bands while on a long vacation. When I came back to SL after 3 weeks of using bands and improvised weights, all of my other lifts required a deload, but OHP was stronger - went from 75 to 85 after being stuck at 75 before vacation.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one who struggled with OHP.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Hi folks.

I'm a few weeks into SL5x5, and enjoying it immensely (and also seeing the benefits already). My question is whether it is normal to struggle a bit with the overhead press - in my case, I've not yet broken 30Kg with it - whilst all the other exercises seem pretty easy so far (squat etc.). Does this just suggest I just need a bit more work on my shoulders, or perhaps everyone finds the OH press difficult at first?

thanks.

Yes, it was one of the reasons I shelled out the money for fractional plates going from .25 to 1 pound allowing me to increase the weight on OHP at a far slower rate thus reducing the need to d-load as often with OHP.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @mreichard do you have a link that shows how to do ohp with bands? I have just started SL 5X5 & I do it at home & my bar is too heavy for me to ohp by myself. I have bands though & would love to know how to use them to improve.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This video show basically how to do it. The guy's elbows are really flared out though, which I recently learned is apparently both weaker and risks injury. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfe32u-EbyE

The thing that I think makes bands helpful is that the lift gets harder as you go up, so when you get back to a barbell, the top part of the lift feels easier.

Note that you can stand with both feet on more of the band if you need to make it harder.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    mreichard wrote: »
    This video show basically how to do it. The guy's elbows are really flared out though, which I recently learned is apparently both weaker and risks injury. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mfe32u-EbyE

The thing that I think makes bands helpful is that the lift gets harder as you go up, so when you get back to a barbell, the top part of the lift feels easier.

Note that you can stand with both feet on more of the band if you need to make it harder.

Thank you!