Plantar Fasciitis help?

Options
2»

Replies

• jtkatch
    jtkatch Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Okay...lots of advice going on. I just finished therapy for my first bout of PF! Was diagnosed by a doctor and went immediately to Physio for the past month. It is much better but not 100% it takes about 6-8 weeks to get better with proper excerxises.

1- stretch hamstring and calves
    2- internal and external rotation with toes up leading with the heel 10 each way
    3- stretching your toes backwards and holding for 30 sec (repeat 5x)
    4- roll with frozen ice bottle or tennis ball to relax the knots and fascia

5- a brace to be worn at night! Every night to keep the calf stretched which elevated the fascia at the bottom of the foot
    6- NEVER walk barefoot. Wear soft supporting slippers or shoes in the house!!
    7- no running or any impact exercises (for now)

These are the guidelines the Physio and Dr gave me and it takes time to heal but it will. Don't rush it or you won't heal.

Good luck and be patient
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @ccjlgrider I'd like to offer some optimism, and a book recommendation. Taking care of a chronic problem, nipping it in the bud, does a few things. It heightens your body awareness, "Know when to fold 'em and know when to run". It allows you to run another day. I promise you the Olympic stars this year are the ones who either avoided injury, or followed all the doctor's orders to get back in to peak condition. Take care of this now and you will get your bucket list checked off.

https://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Compression socks can help! I wore them for a while because I work 10 hour days as a server. A coworker suggested I try them...Not entirely sure how it works but combined with that, stretching, and avoiding the treadmill. My feet are feeling a LOT better. :)
  • buckeye213
    buckeye213 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Compression socks can help! I wore them for a while because I work 10 hour days as a server. A coworker suggested I try them...Not entirely sure how it works but combined with that, stretching, and avoiding the treadmill. My feet are feeling a LOT better. :)

6-8 weeks to recover ...ugh...it hurts like a mother first thing in the morning
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had this for years. It was actually caused by my inflammation due to being an undagnosed celiac. When I went gluten free the pain was gone within a few months.

My advice (from my expereience) would be to consider if there is any possible cause to it that you could correct. Is there anything causing inflammation in your life? Autoimmune issues? High blood glucose? Food sensitivities? Anything like that?
  • rodgiek79
    rodgiek79 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've had it for a year or so - I really do feel your pain. Stretching calves and massaging the plantar help enormously - painful but do it. But a roller ball massager from Amazon or a even buy a hockey ball to roll the foot on. It's painful but a must. Remember that inactivity makes it get tighter and more painful.
    I also found strapping my foot with kinesiology tape helpful - start the tape on the outer edge of the foot and pull it tight under the foot arch to the other side - helps support the arch. Foot insoles that support the arch help too. Good luck x
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hello me again on this.

I may be lucky but (so far) I have found that swimming is ALL I need - I am guessing it stretches my hamstrings? I do a fair bit of kicking only. When I stop swimming, it comes back....

The reason I mention this is:

I am really loath to go down the arch support route - having tried properly fitted arch supports many years ago. I never could wear them for long....it all just hurt too much...and they made shoe buying even more difficult (I have feet that are hard enough to find a fit for anyway...). Plus I cannot tolerate any shoe with a built in arch....

There is also a whole school of thought out there that arch supports is not the way to go. Instead foot excercises that strengthen your arch, and going bare foot as much as possible is the answer - eg look up Bare Foot Running.... Arch supports relieve the problem but do not solve it.

( Oh - I also found doing ham stretches in bed before getting up helped.)

Anyway I am so grateful I found swimming.....but if it is no longer enough I will try the arch strengthening not arch support approach with gusto!