Should you weigh yourself after eating?

Options
I was told, that if you weigh yourself after eating. You would get an inaccurate result is it true?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    True. Weigh first thing in the morning, wearing the same thing every time, and after using the restroom to get a comparable number each time. How much you eat (or drink) before weighing would affect your results, as would weighing after exercise (and sweating a lot).
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Yes, because there is now food in your stomach. I can gain two pounds after eating.

Your weight fluctuates throughout the day.

If you are going to weigh daily, weigh at the same time every day in the same conditions and track the trend.
  • jubyak
    jubyak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The key to understanding your actual weight loss progress is consistency. I always weigh myself first thing in the morning, while naked so that the weight of my clothes is never a factor. However, as long as you understand that your weight fluctuates by a couple pounds throughout the day and on various days (especially if you're a woman, your weight changes during your cycle) then you can weigh yourself whenever you like. You're not going to get any meaningful results though if you try to weigh yourself naked in the morning before breakfast and then dressed and after dinner to compare the two. Usually eating a modest-sized meal shouldn't make a big difference, but if you are finding that you're a few pounds heavier, I would take it with a grain of salt. Like I said, be consistent with when you weigh yourself and you will see the overall progress. Your weight is like the stock market, it ticks up and down, but the long-run trend is what matters, not the 1 to 3 pound fluctuations.
  • flimflam87
    flimflam87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Why would you weigh yourself after eating? Do you just want to know how much food you've consumed? Weigh yourself once a day max - I prefer first thing in the morning and naked (don't need to know how much my clothes weigh either).
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, weigh first thing in the morning, after you use the bathroom, before you eat or drink and be consistent with what you wear (or don't wear).
    I personally weigh once a week and naked, first thing in the morning. Once a week works better for me because I get annoyed when I see the fluctuations throughout the week lol

Just to give you an Idea, my husband gets on the scale at random times just for the heck of it and his weight from morning with an empty stomach to evening after eating all day has gone up over 6 lbs before lol.
    Now, granted..my husband is 6'6" and built like a football player so he's a big dude, but still...weigh in the morning for consistency.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Is there ever, at any point, a completely "accurate" reading?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If you were to weigh 4-5 times from morning till bed time, and graph it, it will look like an erratic heartbeat.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Same here. First thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, with as little clothing as possible! Out of curiosity, I weighed in the evening and found I was 5 lbs. heavier.