Coffee

Options
Is black coffee counted in your water intake for the day?

Replies

• ReneeDawalga5100
    ReneeDawalga5100 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No, but if it was then couldn't I count the water in Soda? Water is water.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I count it as water, I go by pee color. When I eat massive amounts of watermelon, I pee all day.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't. But I only drink one cup in the morning so it's still pretty easy for me to drink 6-8 cups of water.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    138shades wrote: »
    No, but if it was then couldn't I count the water in Soda? Water is water.
    Any liquid counts.

I'm in agreement. If you were to drink a glass of water along side a piece of chocolate (which contains caffeine), wouldn't you count it still?

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It's your food diary you get to decide. I don't count coffee as part of my water intake but I do count tea.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you track water, you should count all beverages (just make sure to also log them as food if they have calories).
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, no. Coffee is not water. Coffee contains water, just like soda, beer, whiskey, moonshine all contain water....
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    In my humble opinion, no. Coffee is not water. Coffee contains water, just like soda, beer, whiskey, moonshine all contain water....

MMMmmmmm, 8 glasses of whiskey a day. Heck, it's mostly water, I think I'll try that. LOL
  • rnnursebarb
    rnnursebarb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Our dietitians at the cancer center I work at tell patients to count coffee and sodas as fluid intake but not to make that the primary source of fluids. They still encourage increased water intake.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Of course! Flavored water is still water.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    cile2016 wrote: »
    Is black coffee counted in your water intake for the day?

I don't. It's liquid but I only count water as water, not diet coke, iced tea, or coffee. If you are so low on water that you need to count the coffee, it's probably better to have another glass of water.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I don't track water intake, but I think that some people count half the amount of non-water beverages as water. For example, if you drink a 6 ounce cup of coffee, you'd count it as 3 ounces of water.
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i don't count it bc i log my water to keep an idea of how hydrated i am (i take B vitamins, they turn your pee bright yellow so it's not as easy as just looking at pee color for me), and coffee is a diuretic. I drink 2-3 cups a day and it makes me pee a LOT, actively dehydrating me sooo I don't count it as part of my hydration
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Nope..Coffee is Coffee and water is water

For me anyway
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I drink around 3L of tea and coffee with added milk everyday, I don't count it as water. I can tell a big difference between just drinking tea/coffee all day compared to when i also drink plenty of water along with it, eg scale moves slower/more water retention when i don't drink enough plain water. If tea and coffee counted as water i wouldn't see these problems.
    I always have my water bottle sitting right next to my coffee cup.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count water, to be honest I don't really see the point. If I'm dehydrated I will know about it from how my body feels.
    Your body gets hydrated from everything that you eat and drink, so separating out water with or without additives (coffee, juice, smoothies, soup, watermelon etc) just seems like busy work for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/821181/myths-and-facts-about-hydration-requirements

Coffee counts. So does soda, juice, milk, tea, etc. Whether one chooses to "count" it or not, the body does for hydration purposes.
  • poodlepam4
    poodlepam4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why is black coffee 160 calories and just coffee is 20 calories?? Aren't they the same?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    poodlepam4 wrote: »
    Why is black coffee 160 calories and just coffee is 20 calories?? Aren't they the same?

You can't just use random entries. Some are wrong, some people save their personal recipes to the system. Whoever added the black coffee entry must have added something else to the coffee and named it in a misleading way.

Black coffee has few calories, I don't log it. If you get it at Starbucks, they'll provide it (probably other chains too, I just noticed they had it posted at Starbucks), package information will have it, the USDA entry is: 2 calories for a cup (8 fl oz) for coffee, brewed, using tap water. That's just going to be an average, some will have a little more. (Starbucks says 4 calories for 12 oz brewed coffee.)
  • poodlepam4
    poodlepam4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! So the different entries are from users? I didn't know that. I just started. I guess I won't log my black coffee then.