I gained weight after I exercised!!!

Options
FatmaMalik
FatmaMalik Posts: 18 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
Before last week, I was losing about 1kg per week by only a calorie deficit and no exercise..
I decided to exercise to lose weight faster and shape my body
I exercised 5 days in the past week and I ate at the same amount of calories
When I hit the scale I found that I gained 2 kgs!!!!
My exercise was dancing ... it was some youtube dance videos for hips and thighs

A friend told me it's the muscle weight but I'm not sure
If so, will I ever lose back that weight? And how much would it take me to lose these 2 kgs back because I feel so down bc of that :'( ?
I expected losing more but now all my dreams are shattered

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise, your muscles hold on to extra water to repair themselves. It's water weight. Relax.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water retention probably
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It's water in your muscles, but not actually muscle weight. it will drop off within a few weeks.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    This is a normal fluctuation in your body weight. Weight loss is not linear. It's most likely water retention - it could be due to hormonal fluctuations, too much sodium, and/or water retention by your muscles to repair themselves. If you did not increase your calorie intake, you did not gain 4 pounds. Relax, keep doing what you're doing, and be patient.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    And just to clarify, if your friend was suggesting that you had gained muscle, it isn't that either.
  • FatmaMalik
    Options
    How much would it take to lose that water weight? :D
    And what should I do? :blush:
    Thank you so much :blush:
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Once your muscles have adapted to the exercise, the water retention happens less. :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. Once your muscles have adapted to the exercise, the water retention happens less. :)

This is true. Just keep up the exercise. And relax :smile:
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    FatmaMalik wrote: »

Water is a normal part of your weight. There is no need to "get rid" of it. Your body will take care of all that for you and this normal and healthy!

Just know that muscle repair, sodium intake, carb intake, hydration or lack there of, for females monthly hormones, getting enough rest, glycogen etc.. all are part of your weight and day to day fluctuations.. these can and will show on the scale at some time or another.

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You should be doing weights also, notjust cardio
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Its not muscle weight, but its not fat either...its just water to aid the repair of the muscle. Its typical to put on a few pounds of water weight if you start a new workout routinue or even change up and old one in a way that makes you sore.

I would seriously advise you to not care so much about your scale weight, especially on a day to day basis...you are just going to work yourself up over nothing. Just keep with your calorie restriction and exercise and give it time.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    As strange as it seems, drinking more water helps to control water retention by balancing out the sodium levels. Are you drinking water?
  • FatmaMalik
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    As strange as it seems, drinking more water helps to control water retention by balancing out the sodium levels. Are you drinking water?

Yes a lot
    And during exercise too
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps with water retention associated with sodium because you are helping to flush out the excess sodium. I'm not sure drinking more water helps with water retention associated with DOMS.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    FatmaMalik wrote: »

Don't do anything. Wait it out. Your muscles need this water for cushioning and repair. Only worry about actual fat gain.