What's a good time to workout in the am

Options
Is it best to workout before or after breakfast

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's better to workout before you eat. The theory is that you would be burning fat as fuel rather than stored glycogen. Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference when you workout. You can read this and get your own take on the issue:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-myth-of-cardio-before-breakfast-debunked.html
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning and at noon before eating around 1pm. Whatever is best is whatever works for you.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Any time! :smile: I prefer to workout after a cup of coffee though lol
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    When's the best time? Whenever you have the time. :)
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Everyone's best time is different. I have to eat a small breakfast before I work out or I get acid reflux and/or very cranky.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Whatever time is best for you and the activity you're doing. Your glycogen stores only hold around 90 minutes of energy. If your workout is short or not very intense you don't need to eat before. If it's going to be very intense and longer than an hour or so you should eat something before. How your stomach handles food in those situations will determine what and how much you eat before your workout. I personally have found I can't run well on a full stomach after a meal.

In the Summer, because it's hot here and dawn is the coolest time of day I prefer to get up and run right after rolling out of bed in the morning. I'm only running for about 45 minutes or so these days. I then shower and eat.

On the weekends in the winter when I'll be running as much as 13 miles, I make sure to eat something small and easily digestible about 30 minutes before I run and then I take something sugary with me to eat during the run, as well. That way I don't run out of energy in the middle of my run.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Personal choice.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    What ever makes you feel like you won't faint/yawn yourself to death or throw up. For me just an apple and a 15 minute wait will do before exercise. But I can't do it right when I get up or I yawn every second breath and can't actually breath.
  • Littlemissyfit
    Littlemissyfit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anytime of the day is ok. I do fasted cardio, so I do it early. But from my understanding, you should try to workout at the same time every day :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it's better to workout before you eat. The theory is that you would be burning fat as fuel rather than stored glycogen. Honestly, I don't think it makes any difference when you workout. You can read this and get your own take on the issue:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-myth-of-cardio-before-breakfast-debunked.html
    You ALWAYS burn glycogen first before fat regardless if you're fasted or not.

Work out to your preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Whenever you'll consistently do it. Optimal timing is far less important than consistency.
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You should do what works for you. I like to do 30 minutes of cardio before breakfast when glycogen stores are low, but I always eat before I do any strength training.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Best time is when it works for you and you will stick to it.

I walk early morning before breakfast (most times I don't eat breakfast) but not before a cup of coffee:).
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to work out, then eat. I like very vigorous activity, and eating first makes me feel sick. But, you do you.