Home fitness room

Options
jo6fskhptb9j.jpeg
Just cleaned out this large area of my basement. Going to make a home gym here and looking for some ideas of equipment I can build from scratch for free weight and calisthenics using mostly lumber. Ideas???

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You can make something like this: http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html

If you want something relatively inexpensive to use as safety bars, I recommend sawhorses. I have a pair of these that I use at home: https://www.amazon.com/Target-Precision-RB-H1034-Sawhorse-Complete/dp/B00005A1KE. My husband and I built a simple platform out of 2x6 boards and 3/4" plywood because my squat stands are slightly too tall if I stand on the floor. I put my bench up on the platform and the stands on the lowest setting in order to bench press and use the sawhorses as my safety bars for that too.

Also, I have not, but you could attach galvanized pipe to the boards on the sawhorses in order to create a pair of parallel bars for dips.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What's the ceiling height? Racks are 7' high and you need at least 8' for overhead work.

As for wood construction, it can be done but, given the cost of lumber, why bother?

Wood racks also take up more room, lack versatility and are clunky. You can probably buy everything you need for cheap on Craigslist but, if you insist on building something, there are lots of examples on the Net.

Good luck!

• mrbullfrog
    mrbullfrog Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ceiling height is 93" to the bottom of the floor joist so ample vertical space.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    TRX straps!
  • mrbullfrog
    mrbullfrog Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    TRX straps!

I built a pull up bar already using black pipe but awesome idea to tie into it. The balancing using straps will require less utilized muscles to come into play.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    What's the ceiling height? Racks are 7' high and you need at least 8' for overhead work.

As for wood construction, it can be done but, given the cost of lumber, why bother?

Wood racks also take up more room, lack versatility and are clunky. You can probably buy everything you need for cheap on Craigslist but, if you insist on building something, there are lots of examples on the Net.

Good luck!

I second the craigslist idea. You can find some really amazing deals on there from people moving or whatever, with the added bonus of not having to actually build it yourself from scratch. YMMV on CL though depending on your area, it's at least something to keep an eye on though.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Although you can make a wood rack work, it's still not ideal. You have a great space there, you should outfit it properly. The Titan T3 rack (you can google) can be had for under $400 shipped and they also offer discounted prices on the additional spotter arms and dip handles. Find a 300# Olympic set on CL and pick up a reasonably priced flat bench. (Check out rep fitness on amazon) That would be a great start for around $450 (rack) + $150 CL weights + $200 bench = $800 home gym that will keep you happy for a long time. Here's a pic of my gym with the T3 rack.

image_zpszt3wmxrd.jpeg
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a nice article by Dean Somerset a well respected trainer on how he equipped his home fitness room. Gives his reasoning on types of equipment.

http://deansomerset.com/building-the-basement-of-champions-how-to-build-a-legendary-home-gym/

Sounds like he bought new stuff but you could look at making or buying used.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You can make your own suspension system with a ratchet strap. I made this one with a strap, caribiners and handles I had lying around.
    f52ncjy4tyy7.jpeg
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Play It Again Sports or other sports consignment store nearby -- you can pick up equipment super cheap. It's a great space! Bench, bar, plates, plate rack and squat rack would be a good start. Maybe a few kettle bells too!
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    did you opt to build any of this? I bought a rack but built a bench for it as a bench that I could afford was generally considered wobbly and junk by anyone who actually used it for more than sitting on.