Does eating less get easier?

Replies

• jimb0200
    jimb0200 Posts: 11 Member
    Why are you eating less? You should be eating better. When I was at it hard core I was eating 6-7 times a day.

6am Cheerios/milk 165
    8-9 whole cucumber Italian dressing 60
    11am turkey sandwich/salad 210
    2-3bag if baby carrots 50
    6 pm 2-turkey dogs (with buns!) salad 425
    8pm Broccoli and Romano 100

6 meals for the day, all which I like, no crazy rice cakes for a grand total of 1000 cals.

At one point I was having a hard time eating more then 1200 calories.

It took me a while to figure out how to eat the foods I like and still keep it low. The sides are the key to it along with a good low fat/cal salad dressing.
  • PrettyBrownEyes85
    PrettyBrownEyes85 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Thanks everyone for the replies! Good to know things will get better. All of your posts provided me with new tools from planning meals to using egg whites as filler! I feel better emotionally after reading your responses!!!!! <3
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    It does get easier. I eat higher fiber and lower carbs. It helps curb the hunger and you get used to smaller portions. I also fill up on salad and other veggies.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    jimb0200 wrote: »
    Why are you eating less? You should be eating better. When I was at it hard core I was eating 6-7 times a day.

6am Cheerios/milk 165

6 meals for the day, all which I like, no crazy rice cakes for a grand total of 1000 cals.

It took me a while to figure out how to eat the foods I like and still keep it low. The sides are the key to it along with a good low fat/cal salad dressing.

To lose weight, one has to eat less. But to be able to eat less long enough to lose any discernible amount of weight, one has to eat better. Number of meals does not influence how much you (can) eat. 1000 calories is too little unless you are under 5 foot tall. Low fat doesn't work for everybody.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    It gets SO much easier. Over time you will find what foods make you feel full, and keep you feeling that way, and which ones are pretty much just going to leave you hungry in 20 minutes. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water because sometimes "hunger" is actually thirst. Find things to do, hobbies or something, when you are bored, stressed, whatever. They will tell you that exercise is great for this, which it is, but even sitting in front of your computer watching cute cat videos on YouTube is better than eating your emotions. You don't have to start all in either. If a 2 pound a week deficit is too much for you right now, start with 1 pound (that will give you an extra 500 calories a day) until you get used to it and work your way back up (or down, depending how you look at it lol). Better progress that is a little slower than doing something that is going to make you too frustrated and quit.
  • Thank you!
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    jimb0200 wrote: »

6am Cheerios/milk 165

You must have a caloric deficit to lose weight. What you eat is important but you could still lose on 1000 calories of cake a day. The foods listed total 1010 calories, way too low for a man.
  • sfcrocker
    sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
    Yes, especially if you take time to really savor what you are eating vs. just sitting in front of the TV shoveling it in. Before I grab a snack now, I stop and say "do I really need or want to eat this?" Sometimes the answer is yes, other times no. Previously I would just eat mindlessly for no real reason. It does get easier!
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    It does get easier. However, it sounds like you have some emotional issues tied up with food. If you continue having problems with binging, you may want to talk to a therapist. You could also try some cognitive behavioral techniques to change how you interact with food - maybe the Beck Diet Solution.
  • jimb0200
    keharty wrote: »

You must have a caloric deficit to lose weight. What you eat is important but you could still lose on 1000 calories of cake a day. The foods listed total 1010 calories, way too low for a man.

Thank you for the input. I know 1000 cals a day is low and while I had days like that most were 1200-1300. I wasn't starving and was having no other issues I was biking 20 mph for and hour and doing 1hr of weight circuit with it. No fatigue or problems other then going from 240-170.. Clothes shopping got expensive.
  • jimb0200
    My point to the long winded post was once you figure out what food combinations are low cal you can have a fulfilling day of food and not go over cals.

Today's food..
    Oatmeal
    Green beans
    TB fresco chic burrito
    TB fresco chic taco
    1 cucumber
    3 pretzel rods
    2 chili dogs (all white meat turkey)
    Mac and cheese.
    1535 cals. (Not deducting for the 50 minutes of cardio)
  • fuzzydogpa
    fuzzydogpa Posts: 21 Member
    Find another emotionally coping strategy. For me I get into obsessive cleaning and organizing when I am stressed and that burns calories. You could get out of the house and go for a walk or take up a hobby and immerse yourself in that when you are stressed. Also try adding clear fiber to your drinking water. That will help give you a feeling of fullness and make you regular :smile: Also it might help to fill the 1700 calories with more fiber rich foods and with protein and healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil and cut back on sugary and starchy carbs that spike insulin and trigger hunger. A little healthy fat, protein and fiber will give you a better feeling of fullness and you want protein to preserve your muscle mass while losing weight so make sure to calculate the macros that you need for that.
  • KJWanzek
    KJWanzek Posts: 13 Member
    Yes it does, I also have health issues that make it very hard to workout. ( what am I saying I could hardly walk for months at a time) Wanting to speak to you from the heart. Loosing weight is science is what my doctor has told me point blank. (then he also told my husband about me) ** YOU must take in less calories than you burn in order to loose.** I am on no whites sugar, flour, potatoes. 800 calories a day MAX. sounds crazy doesn't it? :neutral:
    It's my 3 week and it is getting better!! But honestly still hard. I eat lots of egg whites and salsa. Please don't give up! You can do this one day at a time one pound at a time.

• almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    One more thing: if you can, get to a psychologist. What you described tells me that something's hurting you, though I don't know what; once you find out how to master your feelings, healthier eating should follow naturally. If your insurance doesn't cover one-on-one therapy, try to find a group of people who are dealing with the same thing. Psychology Today's website has a list of therapists you can sort through, by zip code, issues, and what insurance they accept if applicable. Frankly, it doesn't matter if you're 240 lbs or 120 lbs if you're not happy.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    If you look at my diary I eat a lot of JUNK. But I eat at regular meal times and on schedule so am able to eat less. And that regularity has helped a lot.

So it does get easier. You just have to condition your body for it.

Clara, You are supposed to be flying about in a diner, not the TARDIS! =)
  • smm4906
    smm4906 Posts: 24 Member
    Yes, it does get easier, but you'll have "speed bump" days, too. You've had a lot of great advice; I'll share what helps me.

1) Don't skip breakfast & lunch; be sure to include protein - when I miss this, I find I'm more likely to start snacking in the evening and lose control.

2) Plan all meals, not just dinner - I hate doing this! But it works!

3) Plan treats. If I let myself feel too deprived, I'll eventually "cheat" - then think "what the heck" and overdo. For treats, I like Luigi's Italian Ices, Wholly Guacamole mini's, the mini bag of cookies or SunChips (not too often - trying to avoid that kind of stuff!).

4) Make sure the food you eat tastes good! Salsa, spices, balsamic vinegar & sesame seeds on veggies, whatever. If it tastes bland, you'll feel deprived - etc, etc, etc.

Don't push yourself too hard at first - set achievable goals, then once those behaviors become routine you can start looking for things you can tweak to reduce calories.

Good luck! You can do this!

• Thanks everyone!
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Yes it gets easier. I also find that avoiding certain trigger foods (for me that's treats with sugar in it) helps a LOT.
  • Yes it gets easier. I also find that avoiding certain trigger foods (for me that's treats with sugar in it) helps a LOT.

Do you feel deprived?
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    I remember reading somewhere that after about two years of maintaining at your target weight you've at that point got your brain reset. The first couple years, though, they may be a rough ride. :neutral: