Weight distracting me from my vacation

Options
I am currently on holiday at Universal Studios and Disney World. I REALLY want to enjoy it but can't stop thinking about my weight! Eating bad is not an issue... I make healthy choices (ie had a cob salad for dinner) and get a ton of walking. Yet this weight is always on my mind and distracting me from actually enjoying myself. I always get jealous of the thin girls who walk by me. Anyone else go through this? Advice?

Replies

• aneedforchange
    aneedforchange Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what to say. I would Hate to think like that all the time :(
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Balance. Realize that balance is what makes people happy. So thinking constantly about your weight and comparing yourself to other strangers while on a great vacation is not balanced. Balance would be enjoying your vacation environment, spending time with your family, having fun, taking time for yourself. Balance = happiness.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this, too. I think the only way out of this kind of thinking is to see yourself as more than your weight or physical appearance, and to find self worth and confidence.

How you feel about yourself can be a very complicated issue, and weight loss itself is not gonna fix everything.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I look at like this, what you go through during your journey can only make you stronger in every aspect. No you are not starting out as this "thin" person you see walking down the street, but one day you will be exactly where you want to be.

In the meantime, allow yourself a time of the day to "reflect" where you will be! A person can allow the "negatives" to keep them beat down so start reversing those negative thoughts into positive ones. In due time, that one time of day "of positive reflection" will be two, and three times a day, and before you know it, you will be right where you want to be!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance and figuring out your own body image. Losing weight won't make you stop comparing yourself to others. But that is something most people have to work through, there is no magical way to stop body-shaming yourself. Building confidence is a great way to start.

As far as the vacation - how long is it? Anything over 3 days I always try to watch what I eat. I'll pick 2-3 meals for a week vacation where I order what I want and enjoy it. If it is under 3 days and is a extravagant vacation (like I went to Mexico for 3-4 days)....then I may just let it all go and not care. The weight you put on can easily be dropped if you go right back to eating healthy again. I think in Mexico I gained 5 pounds but lost it within a week. Sure it delayed my overall progress - but I had a blast on vacation. You have to know how easy it is for you to get back on track though. I struggle with it a lot so I try not to go too crazy.
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a holiday park for a week (theme park onsite) and then sightseeing in a city that is famous for its chocolate and then Disneyland Paris. 11 days in total. I ate whateve I wanted for lunch and dinner and had a few unhealthy snacks a day. I came home 1lb lighter. Turns out all that walking really helped :) do you really want to look back on this vacation in years to come and just think of how miserable you were? Try to enjoy it and I'm not saying take a complete diet break but go easy on yourself while you're away and just deal with it when you get back if you have gained any weight. Chances are you wont have. If you mean looking at others and its making you feel bad about yourself, then there's not much I can say because we all do that, unfortunately. I guess the thing that gets me through is that it won't be long before I look like that too. You're doing it and should feel proud of yourself! X
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It's not like you eat like those days everyday, so think about the pictures you took during the vacation! The future you will care about / appreciate a smiley face more than the overflow of calories (whether it's really too much calories or not). :smile:
  • realcalm
    realcalm Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Every time you see a gorgeous thin woman whom you envy, remind yourself that she is probably in the movie business, so she doesn't count :-)
  • yogaski83
    yogaski83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. Whenever I go on vacation, or even a day trip, I can't help but to feel awful about my weight (and the weight of those around me), it's something that is always on my mind. I still cringe when I go on trips to the beach or lake with friends because I'm not as thin and carefree (and I never really was). For me, it's a constant struggle that is always there, but just becomes more manageable over time. I found that doing things that I thoroughly enjoy takes me away from some of those thoughts. It's hard though, I've struggled with my weight since I was 11, and this sounds cliche, but I've learn to like myself and what I've accomplished (even the little accomplishments) - and I do my best to stop comparing myself to other people. I've also found that as I get older, there are much worse things that could happen to me than being a bit overweight. Try to enjoy yourself.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at the other heavy women like me.

Most of them seem perfectly at ease and happy with themselves and to be having great fun. I wish that for myself almost as much as I wish to be slimmer. I also look at the way women my size dress and it's taught me a lesson. We look best in clothes that actually fit, not stuffed into the clothes we wish would fit. Duh! How did I not understand this? So I've used the people watching to my benefit.

Some of us can't help looking at and comparing ourselves to others. But we can choose to do it in a way that is uplifting to us and not in a way that makes us feel bad.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Maybe take some comfort in the fact that a) you're doing something about it b) there are plenty of women who would be happy to be in your position and c) by being at Disneyland and making Healy choices you're going to lose even more weight. Be happy that you're on your way and you won't feel this way next time :)