Fairly low resting heart rate

Options
I got a bit concerned my resting heart rate bpm is in between 46-53 bpm. Is this normal?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For most adults it'll be between 60-100 bpm. Fitter people may have lower resting heart rates than that, and of course some people just naturally have slightly lower/higher rates.

If you are worried see a doctor, but your heart might just be in good shape!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    yep mines in the 40s
  • jaybird1705
    jaybird1705 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate is pretty consistently 50 bpm. I row 8,100 meters per day, five days per week on a WaterRower to stay in shape.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mine is anywhere from low 50s to the upper 60s. when I was heavier it was 70-90. but I agree if concerned see a dr .some meds can cause a lower heart rate too. if that doesnt apply to you and this is something new then have a talk with your dr and they can monitor it if they think its an issue
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    How is your blood pressure? Mine only goes that low when I am sleeping or when the blood pressure spikes up.

In any case, a question for a doctor, not the internet.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Mine has been as low as 45 but the norm is around 55, according to my garmin.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's ok.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If you do a lot of running, it is not unusual for your resting heart rate to be in the 40s. Mine is consistently in the low 40s.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I float between 58-62 while I'm awake and down in the low 50s when I'm sleeping.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been low, usually in the 60s, even when I was heavier and out of shape. Now that I'm in shape, it's even lower. I was at my doc just last month and it was 52... He was even stunned it was so low but it always been.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    When I was in the hospital, the ECG they hooked me up to kept sounding an alarm every time my heart slowed below 60 (?) bpm. Which was pretty often because I was laying down. I told the nurse I was a cyclist and they disabled the alarm.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I've had mine as low as 30s when I was running a lot. Right now it's in the mid 40s generally.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm on Beta Blockers for high Blood Pressure and now my resting heart rate is anywhere from 50 and upwards.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    At the start of my diet (6 months ago) my resting heart rate was 50, weirdly it has now gone up to about 57 - no idea why!
  • blopmiyers
    blopmiyers Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies I'm reassured its a fairly common thing. It seems like its common for athletic people. I was just judging by bpm based on this heart rate monitor which says average resting bpm should be at lowest 61. But yeah thanks again!
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    blopmiyers wrote: »
    Thank you for all the replies I'm reassured its a fairly common thing. It seems like its common for athletic people. I was just judging by bpm based on this heart rate monitor which says average resting bpm should be at lowest 61. But yeah thanks again!

Yeah typically 60-100 is considered "normal", but like others have said it really depends on "what's your normal" too. Level of fitness usually correlates to lower RHR.

From a provider's standpoint, it really depends on whether you're symptomatic or asymptomatic. Having a heart rate of 55 and feeling fine is much different than 55 and light headed (I'd treat one, but not the other).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    When I was in the hospital, the ECG they hooked me up to kept sounding an alarm every time my heart slowed below 60 (?) bpm. Which was pretty often because I was laying down. I told the nurse I was a cyclist and they disabled the alarm.

I was seeing my pumonlogist, finding out a probably have exercise asthma, and found out that the finger tip optical HR have an alarm that goes off below 45 bpm :smiley: . Her nurse was doing by blood pressure (which was low too [normal for me]) and had to check the results by hand. My doctor just waived him off.

When I had my appendix removed 4 years ago, I was constantly monitored and set off all kinds of alarms when I was coming out of anesthesia. HR was about 30. BP was about 40/60. Kept the nurses on edge for about 12 hours, but once I fully woke up the next morning (surgery at 10pm, finally woke up in a room at 9 or 10 the next morning), everything was fine.

OP: What's your concern? If you wern't measuring it, would you know?
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been about 50, whether I've been doing cardio several times a week, or doing nothing for months. There seems to be no benefit in having a naturally low hr though.

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had surgery a while back - after the surgery they hooked me up to a machine that monitored my heart rate - the machine kept going off with warning alarms because my natural heart rate is just very low. I'm not even in shape - I suppose when I get more fit I'll be practically dead. But the nurses weren't concerned so I'm not either. And I don't bother with heart rate monitors because what's the point? They're barely accurate on a normal person I don't feel they are at all for me.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Mine is around 50-60 BPM :smile: