How do you eat your oatmeal?

Options

Replies

• pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you like for breakfast - soup, sandwich, leftovers, salad... there is no rule that you are only allowed to eat eggs or oatmeal for breakfast.

However, to answer your question - my breakfast this morning was veggie porridge: rolled oats, water/milk, grated carrot, grated zucchini, grated cheese, egg.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    If you don't like oatmeal, and you don't like eggs ... why not have a turkey sandwich for breakfast? Or maybe you might prefer another porridge ... like Cream of Wheat?

My brother-in-law eats his oatmeal with cinnamon and brown sugar over the top of his serving. I don't like very sweet food so for me strawberries or a banana or any fruit in it cooked into the oatmeal instead of served over the top is what I like.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I must have really plain tastes! I'm reading all these posts about adding butter and sugar and salt and spices and yoghurt and all I can think is that it sounds like far too much hard work!

I eat oats every morning, and all I do with them is stick 50g in a bowl with 150ml skim milk and a few blueberries, microwave them on medium for 5 minutes while I'm getting dressed, then shove in a spoon of peanut butter and a splash of cold milk!

it's first thing in the morning - I really don't have the mental fortitude to make it any more complicated!
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats cooked with milk, and I add fruit (strawberries, blueberries, pomegranate, etc), ghirardelli 70% dark baking chips, and sometimes nuts if it fits into my calories. What better way to start out the morning than fruit and dark chocolate? :)
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's perfect to me when juuuust the right amount of milk is added, and less than a teaspoon of brown sugar. Cinnamon if I'm feeling frosty.
  • tresnick
    tresnick Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    i put in ground flax seed, walnuts, dash of cinnamon, a tiny bit of vanilla extract and half banana. no sugar or fat added (except for the walnuts), and it tastes like banana bread. the liquid for cooking is unsweetened almond milk.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    This morning I had oatmeal with protein powder, PBfit, strawberries, black berries and a little salt. The key is to let it sit a little after cooking and before adding the other ingredients.
  • carabelle207
    carabelle207 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to mix steel cut oats and quinoa, it would have a slightly nuttier flavor and a bit more texture. I'd mix in a bit of protein powder and yogurt as well.

I switched things up a bit ago and started having muesli (which is oats mixed with nuts, seeds, raisins and dates) mixed with yogurt and protein powder, let it sit overnight.

Both are very tasty, but like someone else said, if you don't like oatmeal, there's no rule saying you can't do something else for breakfast :)

I've never liked the texture of cooked oatmeal. I've seen many recipes online for breakfast quinoa & was hoping to try that sometime soon.
  • pjason745
    pjason745 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon, cocoa powder, ground ginger, anise seeds, with vanilla almond mill, unsweetened
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Banana, almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, tablespoon of peanut butter.
  • savingfatsamira
    savingfatsamira Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I prefer overnight oats. I think it's more filling. You can try oats with water, yogurt, a little bit of honey, blueberries, strawberries, cinnamon, and chia seeds.
  • savingfatsamira
    savingfatsamira Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Another is with peanut butter and banana. Or sub out the PB with Nutella, and add strawberries.
  • Ashley083
    Ashley083 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This is how I like to make mine... I use traditional rolled oats and make it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, instead of water. (Tastes so much better!) I add mashed banana and cinnamon, and mix it all up.
    Sometimes I add a little bit of natural peanut butter, depending on how hungry I am.

Or, skip the banana, and just add some peanut butter and little organic honey, that's really good too. Otherwise, the mashed banana makes a great sweetener.
  • claer947
    claer947 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I throw it uncooked in a smoothie with a banana and almond milk. The oats make it taste like a sugar cookie.
  • mssmssy
    mssmssy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every single morning! Mostly I add a tablespoon of peanut butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and either a half cup of blueberries, a banana, or raisins. Occasionally I'll skip the peanut butter and do a banana or apple and walnuts.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I had some this morning with dried blueberries and cherries, chia seeds, artificial sweetener, and an egg white for heft and protein. YUM.
  • awasson7
    awasson7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    With chocolate chips and peanut butter or chocolate chips and coconut oil. If I eat the packaged kind, I mix one flavored and one plain otherwise it is too sweet - I like the apples and cinnamon. Baked oatmeal is a great option too - you get extra protein with eggs and milk.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I really should be trying plain oats. But I eat the maple and brown sugar quacker protein oatmeal. just add half cup water put it into the microwave for a minutes stir in some Chia seeds and sometimes top with some banana.
  • rheanan
    rheanan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oats are my second love (pizza is my first haha)! I usually do 1/2 cup of lowans wholegrain rolled quick oats, 1tsp chia seeds, 1tsp fibre, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 banana thinly sliced with water overnight. In the morning I pop 10 grams of choc or vanilla protein powder into it along with 35ml of queens maple flavoured syrup and microwave for 1 and a half minutes. It is ah-mazing :smile: yum yum yum
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've had old fashioned oats ungarnished, but it is pretty boring after awhile. I also used to add it dry to my yogurt (gives it an odd texture though, so many probably wouldn't like that). But, the way I usually make it is with a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and a stevia packet.