Weight lifters: Any tips on how to build delts without building up the traps?

Options
Are there specific moves that predominantly work the delts or any tips to adjust my technique?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    why?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Focus on front and lateral delts and isolate rear i guess but yeah.... why?
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Because I am a woman and I'm not a fan of this look on females, but there's nothing wrong with it if that's your preference. I feel like my traps are getting a little too developed in relation to the rest of my body for my taste, which was not what I was going for. I want to focus on my delts.
  • abadvat
    Options
    Can't really give sound advice as I have freaky traps that pop by just looking at them.... however, do not focus only on delts but beware of how you train back.... you tend to engage traps (full length not only high portion) much more when hitting back than shoulders.
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    Do rows while leaning on a bench build traps?
  • abadvat
    Options
    depends on your technique / position of elbows and on the squeeze but generally it does hit mid and lower traps mostly
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would think it would help to just try and choose movements that keep the scapula isolated.
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    Thanks for your help!
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would think it would help to just try and choose movements that keep the scapula isolated.

So you mean focus on keeping shoulders down right? I've recently tried that, but my traps always seem to engage somewhat with certain moves.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    No, I mean focus on not actively moving the scapula since the trapezius muscle is responsible for that task.
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    Gotcha. I am fairly new to lifting heavier so I'm still learning. Thanks for the input.
  • MsSquatAlot
    MsSquatAlot Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Isolation movements I would assume but please don't think that by your traps getting attention they're going to suddenly get big and freaky. You have to earn traps, lol. But seriously, don't worry about it. Again you are a woman and you will not get big bulky traps - naturally.
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    Isolation movements I would assume but please don't think that by your traps getting attention they're going to suddenly get big and freaky. You have to earn traps, lol. But seriously, don't worry about it. Again you are a woman and you will not get big bulky traps - naturally.

I know, I have to get over the fear of bulking up. I didn't lift for so long because I was afraid of this. If I did lift, it was like 3 lbs, lol. Now I know I won't and I like the way my body is looking and the extra muscles allow me to eat more, which is a HUGE plus! The only thing that has been bugging me is my traps, but I'm going to try not to let it bug me. Thanks!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try NOT to train them - they will look natural on you. Yours eyes probably go straight to them because you're worried about it. I doubt anyone looks at you and says, "MAN, those traps are huge!"

I've never had them until now and I'm pretty stoked. :)
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I wouldn't try NOT to train them - they will look natural on you. Yours eyes probably go straight to them because you're worried about it. I doubt anyone looks at you and says, "MAN, those traps are huge!"

I've never had them until now and I'm pretty stoked. :)

Well just the other day someone said I am starting to resemble a ninja turtle...haha jk

I love it when women support each other :smiley: Thanks!
  • fleur23xx
    Options
    efde884wpk9l.png

If my traps start looking like this guy's, then I will start to worry! : o
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    fleur23xx wrote: »
    efde884wpk9l.png

If my traps start looking like this guy's, then I will start to worry! : o

Unless you're contemplating synthol injections I don't think you have anything to worry about.