What do you eat to stay full?

Options
vick9180
vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
I'm first gonna start off by saying that I have an extreme background in health and fitness. I'm a certified trainer, was a competitive runner for 8 years, and have a BA in exercise science. The thing about that is, I am professionally able to give guidelines about how to eat, but sometimes I struggle myself -- just being honest. I'm not a nutritionist, by any means, but I can give general information about what to change in someone's diet, but I don't give specifics, because it's not in my realm of professionalism.

I never really had to worry about what I ate until pretty recently. When I hit the big 3-0, my metabolism decided to slow down. Weird right? Haha...anyway, so I'm tracking everything I eat, and eating pretty darn healthy. I feel full initially, but within 20 minutes, I'm hungry again and drinking water to fill that hunger isn't working. So my question is this: What do you eat that you have found really sticks with you until you're supposed to eat again?

P.S. I'm not looking to have my whole diet fixed...just looking for more filling foods that are also healthy...it's more of a survey of what you've found helpful than what your suggestions are for me. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber and water!!!!!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Keep busy. Make sure it's not boredom eating. This is just my first thought because it's only 20 minutes.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I found this blog, and I really like her idea of making sure her snacks have all 3 macronutrients:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/snack-time.html

I find any of her snacks very filling.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    High fiber foods work well......of your choice.
  • eouimet
    eouimet Posts: 29
    Options
    chocolate milk really helps! if you use coconut milk and chocolate milk powder like neslte its only 130 calories! seriously helps me so much. I am full, and dont have cravings because it satisfies my sweet tooth. seriously consider it
  • wanderingwest
    Options
    A handful of almonds does the trick for me. Also if I have the time I will make herbal tea (or black tea). It is flavourful and it takes awhile to drink it so even though it is just liquid I feel I have treated myself!
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat low carb and I find that omeletes keep me filled up. Probably the protein in it. After an omelette i can go 6 hours without thinking of food.
  • vick9180
    Options

Can you be more specific? I'm looking to get specific foods to try and see if I can get something to hold me over for a couple of hours. Thanks! :)
  • ciege77
    ciege77 Posts: 60
    Options

+10! Shakes tend to feel me up pretty fast. Not sure what kind of cal. intake you're looking for in a snack, but I basically snack on stuff all day long between meals. I like Tyson frozen chicken filets by themselves or in sandwiches as a small snack, but depending on how healthy you eat, maybe processed foods are out of the question.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of beans and lentils. They're full of protein, fiber and iron, and you can have a pretty big amount for a pretty small amount of calories. I like cooking them with some Indian style sauces and pouring that over brown rice and serving with a side of some kind of veggies.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    A protein - fat combo works for me, although not sure if you're trying to avoid . A Cobb salad with no croutons and an oilive oil & vinegar dressing pretty much covers the bases. No croutons because I don't eat grains. YMMV

If looking for a shake type thing, I make a smoothies with 1/2 avocado, 3-4 kale leaves, 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 cup frozen berries and a cup of water. Filling (because of the fat & fiber in the fruit and veg) and healthy.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Brown rice
    Real oatmeal
    Hummus
  • vick9180
    Options
    I, personally, don't believe in avoiding anything...I'm an "everything in moderation" kinda gal. Although, I do try to avoid as much processed stuff as possible....

You guys are super helpful! Keep 'em coming!
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    this is what I have to have if I want to keep the hunger away:
    wholegrain bread
    vegetables
    tuna or chicken breasts
    no salty stuff

this is totally the basic of my food these days!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I eat a carb and a protein at every meal and have been trying to eat a vegetable at lunch and dinner. Today, I had a fried egg on bread with greek yogurt. For lunch, I had multigrain pasta with spaghetti sauce & 90/10 ground beef. For dinner, I will have baked chicken breast, chickpeas, and broccoli. You can check out my diary. I'm still getting back into the hang of staying under my calories but you can get an idea of what I eat.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Depends.

Preventative:low calorie, high fiber carbs (Oatmeal with raisins )

If I feel like I'm hungry and I'm fighting off a binge: Protein + fat (protein shake, nonfat milk + peanut butter, cheese stick + almonds)
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I still think the good old apple gives the most bang for buck. Or a pear. Or cheese and crackers maybe.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Eggs. Eggs are awesomely filling.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    For me, it's not what so much, as when. I eat often.

B - 7:00 AM
    S - 10:00 AM
    L - 12:15 PM
    S - 3:00 PM
    D - 6:00 PM
    S - 8:30 PM
    S - 9:30 PM

I rarely, if ever feel hungry on net 1400-1800 calories, even if my last 'meal' was 100 calories. I'm hoping to lose on average 4 or 5 pounds a month. So far, right on target.
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    any kind of beans, lentils, etc. freshly cooked, not canned.