How should I log a kickboxing workout?

Options
I just did my first CKO kickboxing workout. They last 60 minutes, but probably 10 of those minutes are warm-up/cool-down. Also, you do a variety of exercises such as planks, running, jumping jacks, etc. in addition to actual punching and kicking. If I want to log my calories burned, should I count it as 50 minutes kickboxing? Or some other cardiovascular exercise?

Help is appreciated! I'm not planning on eating those calories back or anything, but I'd like to make sure I'm at a sizeable deficit each week. Thanks!

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    calisthenics
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I use the "kickboxing (including turbo jam)" entry in the database. I would include the warm-up period, but I don't include the 5-minute cool-down, which is generally just stretching, in my class. I don't exclude or separate the time that the intermediate exercises like squats, running, push-ups, etc. - that sort of thing is generally part of any kickboxing class and I think, as far as calories burned, it probably fits into the calculations pretty squarely.

So if I were logging a 60-minute class, I'd go with 50 or 55 minutes, excluding only the cool-down period.

I'd also plan on eating back some of those calories. Kickboxing isn't just cardio - you're probably doing more resistance and strength training than you know, and your muscles need the fuel to get results.

Good luck! I love kickboxing. I'm completely addicted to it - it's my favorite thing.
  • OrangeKicker
    OrangeKicker Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do exactly what JeepHair77 does. And kickboxing classes definitely go way beyond just cardio - my core is in the best shape it's been without any additional core work.

It is also my favorite workout!
  • whatiseenow
    whatiseenow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thank you so much! I'll do the 50 minute kickboxing and eat back some of the calories.
  • pmastro724
    pmastro724 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Love kickboxing! I've been taking classes since April!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    When I was doing kickboxing I logged it as "kickboxing" but excluded the cooldown stretching part of the class. :smile: