Peanut Butter Cookies

Options
Everyday I am allowing myself a little treat of some kind. Today I'm enjoying a peanut butter cookie. Until I saw the calorie content on the package. 400 calories! Holy smokes! I broke it in half and will finish enjoying the rest tomorrow. Dang!

Replies

• Kaos2016
    Kaos2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yep. At work today they had a BBQ, then passed around a box of Dairy Queen Buster Bars. I swear most people were ready to throw them up when I pointed out they have 440 calories, and pulled out a banana instead lol.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had purchased a big canister of oatmeal to do some experimenting. I intend to use the ninja to convert the oatmeal into powder, then use the oatmeal powder to substitute for wheat flour in a recipe. Thank you! My experiment will be peanut butter cookies!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a low-ish calorie peanut butter and oatmeal cookie recipe
    http://theskinnyfork.com/blog/2013/3/18/healthy-peanut-butter-oatmeal-cookies
    Ingredients:
    2 Ripe Bananas, Mashed
    1/3 C. Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
    2/3 C. Unsweetened Applesauce
    1 Tsp. Vanilla
    1/2 Tsp. Salt
    1/2 Tsp. Cinnamon
    Dash of Ground Cloves
    Dash of Ground Nutmeg
    1 1/2 C. Quick or Old Fashioned Oats
    1/4 C. Nuts (I used dry unsalted peanuts.)
    1/4 C. Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
    1/4 C. Reduced Fat Unsweetened Shredded Coconut (Optional)

• LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter cookies!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yum!!! Not on my "approved" list of food right now but I'm going to bookmark the recipe. :)
  • mssmssy
    mssmssy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had purchased a big canister of oatmeal to do some experimenting. I intend to use the ninja to convert the oatmeal into powder, then use the oatmeal powder to substitute for wheat flour in a recipe. Thank you! My experiment will be peanut butter cookies!

I've used oatmeal powder in place of half of flour with pretty good results. Baked goods are a little more dense, but that's how I like them.
    Never tried it for cookies.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    OMG, I love peanut butter cookies so, so much. And the big problem, for me, is that if the office has those Alonti 440 calorie peanut butter cookies, I might think I can just eat half of one, and before I know it, I've eaten 3 of them. It's bad. They're my crack.

http://eathealthyeathappy.com/pb2-cookies/

And of course, now this thread makes me want peanut butter cookies, so I searched pintrest, and I think I'm going to try making these this weekend.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    OMG, I love peanut butter cookies so, so much. And the big problem, for me, is that if the office has those Alonti 440 calorie peanut butter cookies, I might think I can just eat half of one, and before I know it, I've eaten 3 of them. It's bad. They're my crack.

http://eathealthyeathappy.com/pb2-cookies/

And of course, now this thread makes me want peanut butter cookies, so I searched pintrest, and I think I'm going to try making these this weekend.

@JeepHair77 have you worked out the calories for these?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe for peanut butter cookies that includes calories and macros:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/peanut-butter-breakfast-cookies/
    2 large (140 grams each), ripe bananas
    2 large (50 grams each) eggs
    2 1/2 cups (200 grams) rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
    1 cup (260 grams) peanut butter
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    Pinch of salt

Nutrition Information

Serves: 8 | Serving Size: 3 cookies

Per serving: Calories: 299; Total Fat: 15g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 53mg; Sodium: 131mg; Carbohydrate: 34g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugar: 13g; Protein: 11g

Potassium: 271mg; Iron: 13%; Vitamin A: 2%; Vitamin C: 4%; Calcium: 3%

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks @RodaRose I'd sub the peanut butter for pb2, so we can eat more :naughty:
  • AlishaBaxmann
    AlishaBaxmann Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Something I like to do when looking for new recipes is to search for vegan versions of things that I love. So if you really like peanut butter cookies, try searching "vegan peanut butter cookies" and it cuts out things like butter that are high calorie.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Something I like to do when looking for new recipes is to search for vegan versions of things that I love. So if you really like peanut butter cookies, try searching "vegan peanut butter cookies" and it cuts out things like butter that are high calorie.

and replaces them with oil - which is equally high calorie
  • AlishaBaxmann
    AlishaBaxmann Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Huh, I've seen tons of vegan baking recipes on Pinterest that don't use oil. I'll watch for that though when I'm searching for new recipes.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    High calorie treats like that, I make sure I have a kid nearby that I can share 2/3rds of the cookie with.

Not hard at my house, my ten year old twin boys have built in sugar radar.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Huh, I've seen tons of vegan baking recipes on Pinterest that don't use oil. I'll watch for that though when I'm searching for new recipes.

If you make quick breads a lot of recipes replace oil with applesauce.