Want to start running

Options
Does anyone have any key pointers for me?? I want to start running. I have never ever been a running but for some reason I really want to give it a whirl. Some friends did the Couch Potato to 5K but I didn't fair very well. Can anyone offer some good advise for me?? As I live in Missouri (Misery) the humidity is VERY high so I can expect I will be sweating ALOT!

Replies

• ironband
    ironband Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of C25K programs out there - pick the one that works best for you! If these are beyond you at the moment, that's ok! You can start by walking 20 minutes 3-4 times a week, and gradually increase the pace and time. After a few weeks of that, you can try C25K again and will probably do much better!

Can't help you with the humidity, though, unless you have access to a treadmill indoors!

Andre
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    I started running a couple months ago and use the "get running" to help me get started. I looked up articles on active.com and other running websites to learn the proper form and other running info...good luck, you can do it!!! I am here for ya if you need support and motivation! ~Corina
  • mrsclc
    mrsclc Posts: 73
    Options
    There is a lot of humidity in my area too ... ugh! But I've started up running again and I just make sure I have lots of water :drinker:

When I first started back up I just walked, now I'm doing intervals where I'll walk then jog then run, repeat. Eventually I'll get back to being able to run longer distances. :happy:
  • sophi_star
    Options
    Hi, I have started training for my first ever 5K! I have also given up smoking to help me make this goal! I have a personal trainer who I see once a week and he is helping me train so I can run the whole 5k in September! We started off by doing the following -

Fast paced walk = 5 mins
    Gentle Jog = 1 min

Repeat the above for around 30 mins, then the next day / time you exercise do the following -

Fast paced walk = 35/40 mins

I followed this and also did weights after, and some times a bit more cardio at the gym!

I am now doing the following -

Fast paced walk = 4 min 30 sec
    Run = 1min 30 sec

I do this for 30 mins and then the next day / time I exercise I walk for 40 minutes at a fast pace, then on the 3rd time I do a 45 minute circuit of various cardio (bike/crosstrainer/wave) each of these followed by weights.

We could become friends and help each other through it???

xxxx
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    First of all, make sure you are wearing GOOD shoes!! They don't have to be expensive or fancy since you'll be just giving it a try, but it's still not worth getting injured.
    If you have access to a gym, try alternating between the road and a treadmill while your muscles get strong because running is HARD on your legs, particularly your joints.
    Lastly, if you stick to it, make sure you're not increasing your weekly mileage by more than 10%. Again, better to take it slow than risk getting injured and off the road.

Hope this helps!!
    Best of luck to you!
  • nesman89
    nesman89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk. When I started running I walked 5-6 times per week for 60 min for 2 months. I then started to replace a walk with a run once or twice per week (while still walking the other days). Walking strengthens joints, ligaments, tendons and will reduce injuries. Prior to this I tried running several times and had injuries and thought I could never be a runner. I have been running for two years and haven't had any major injuries.

Hope this helps
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What was it about the C25K that didnt' fair well with you?

I used it. I ran for the first time in my life at the age of 42 using the program in August of last year.

What are you struggling with? That way we can help you better in getting started....
  • Rizyx
    Rizyx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    listen to your body, your body will know when enough is enough and when that happens turn back round and walk the rest of the way, keep a log of how far you got upto and then next time try and get a little further, any progress is good progress imo!
  • rea1980
    rea1980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Proper form and good shoes will make a huge difference in how your legs and joints will feel. I would suggest going to an actual running store for the shoes, that way they will check your pronation and fit you. Makes a huge difference. When I first tried running I just went and bought a randon pair of running shoes at a department store, good brand, but my legs killed me, lots of shin splints. Then I went to a running store and got fitted, makes a huge difference. My legs feel so much better after I run now.