I'm probably a different kind of dieter...

Options
I have a horrible relationship with food. There. I said it. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, (although everyone has those last few pounds...). I'm just trying to eat normal, you know, three meals a day and maybe a snack. My problem is that I will either eat nothing all day then be starving at night, or snack all day and then be starving at night, or eat great all day and still eat all night. I'm a nighttime bored eater and because of that put weight on easily. When I do, I can take if off, but end up focusing on food so much to do it that it rules my life. I just want to have a normal relationship with food.

I am hoping that this website will show me just how and what I am eating so I don't have to worry about it all day. I hope it does not backfire on me and make me even more obsessed with it.

If anyone else has the same troubles, please reach out. I've never posted anything like this before and would like to know I'm not alone!

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I think you're in the right place!! Just start logging and take it from there. For me, one of the best things about MFP has been learning the "cost" of many of my habits. Knowing the cost has really helped motivate me to change them. Try logging some things ahead of time- like if you plan to have dessert at night or you plan to have munchies- then you will see how much you have to "save" during the day to get there and you can make tradeoffs.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    I used to have that and sometimes (most of the time) I still struggle. However, I have been trying my hardest to eat 6 small meals a day. It keeps me full. Here's what I do -

For breakfast I try to keep it light and eat around 190 - 200 calories
    Have two small snacks under 100 calories each 2 hours after breakfast and spread those 2 hours apart
    Eat a 500 calorie lunch and try to load up on veggies
    One evening snack under 100 calories and for this one I will eat some sliced up strawberry slices or other fruit that fills me up
    Then I finish up for dinner with around a 200 calorie meal.

I have found that this works for me. Before when I was eating around 3 meals a day I was gaining weight and didn't know why. My doctor told me it was because my metabolism was just sitting there. =/ It took me a while to get in the habit of eating breakfast even (I am not a morning person).

If you want to add me feel free! I know exactly what you mean though. With my current food intake I never feel like I'm "starving" and I never feel like I want to die because I ate such a big meal so it's just a suggestion - what works for me may not work for you.

Another thing that I recommend though is to try eating every 2 - 3 hours. A late night snack that is amazing is the Special K Chocolate Delight cereal! MM :bigsmile:
  • Mysticmarduk
    Options
    I'm the same way. Been that way for years. Makes following a healthy eating plan tremendously difficult.

One of the things that helped me the most was planning my whole weeks worth of meals out.
    It's not an easy road, but a road we must continue to walk nonetheless.
    Keep it up. :)