Ladies! Looking for your experience with Yaz.

Hey Girls,

Just looking for thoughts from anyone taking Yaz as BC primarily for PMDD. I'm on week one and feel SO sick, no moody, just physically ill. Wondering if anyone else had a tough first couple of weeks? Did you get used to it? How about problems with weight maintenance?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    BC affects so many people differently, when I took BC certain pills made me so moody and emotional. You may want to talk to your doctor and see if they can put you on another pill or they may want you to stick it out a couple months and see if things improve.

I honestly feel so much better now that I do not take hormonal BC, after 10 years of taking it I got my tubes tied and realized later how much better I felt without it.
  • DancingDaffydils
    DancingDaffydils Posts: 13 Member
    I had to stop taking it. It caused my blood pressure to go through the roof. I also felt like I was short of breath all the time. I was scared I had a blood clot or something. I wasn't on it long enough to see any changes in weight.
  • Samanthor
    Samanthor Posts: 85 Member
    I've been on Yaz before but don't particularly remember the side effects. I'm on Ortho-cyclin now (no real reason for the switch, just a different Rx from a different gyno), though, and my first period on it was BRUTAL. Worst cramps I've ever had, sobbing on my couch moody, and a worrying amount of blood, and I decided I'd make an appointment with my doctor if the next one was like it...but it was totally normal, and has been ever since. If you're concerned, I'd say talk to your doctor! But if it doesn't seem too extreme, then give your body a little more time to get used to the new hormone balance
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited September 2016
    My gyno had me on it years ago to treat my PCOS and I hated it. I would have sharp shooting pain down my legs. As soon as I stopped taking it, the pain stopped.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited September 2016
    Screwed up my blood pressure as well. Also had 3 periods in 6 wks, and some blinding headaches.

Edited to add: the periods were extremely heavy lasting 6 or 7 days each time and then spotting for 3 or so days in between.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    i had a period for a month on it and had to change. nothing is worth having a period all month! i changed brands a few times before finding one that worked. for some people like me it is trial and error for finding the right one. ask the dr. for a new brand and try that one.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    I was never able to tolerate oral contraceptives, but of the many I tried, YAZ was by far the worst. It was like perpetual morning sickness. All day every day until I stopped taking it. Bleh.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    edited September 2016
    I tried Yaz and Yazmin, they were supposed to be the best for PCOS and was meant to moderate my PMS. Turned me in to a crazy woman. Anxious, teary and highly emotional and depressed. As I tend to eat when feeling this way, that in turn led to weight gain but my most serious concern was my mental state. Stopped taking them and returned to normal.
  • PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    I took Yaz for about 3 or 4 months. I hated it. It made my pmdd worse and did nothing to help my heavy periods and cramping (I also have pcos). My nausea and vomiting were worse and my mood swings were off the charts all month long. I was a basket case and eventually ended up in the ER because I was seriously losing my *kitten*. The minute the doc found out I was on it they took me off. Within a week I started to feel "normal" again. Hormonal bc has been a complete bust for me :/
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Been on Yasmin for 5 years. No side effects.. Except for the initial weight loss - which I certainly didn't mind :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    There was a huge class action lawsuit in Canada against Yaz because of people being harmed by it. That doesn't mean everyone will be. Just providing the info to be aware of.