How do I loose 30 pounds?

Options
i have been here before. Lost a whole bunch and gained it back. 30 pounds to be exact. A size 6 to a 12 and I'm miserable. I have tried everything and the more I try and try and go back to what I did before to loose weight I end up gaining more! It's so frustrating I don't even know where to start again because absolutely nothing is working!

Replies

• louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    OP you opened up a can of worms here. There is so many ways to lose weight that it is really hard to know what is right and wrong. The right one is the one you can do if you can eat that way the rest of your life. If you are doing something super restrictive like no carbs and your a carb lover it wont work and you will gain back when your done.

When I started I had so many people telling me what I was doing wrong I almost quit. Finally I put my diary to private and did what was best for me. I cut out all pop. That is the only thing I cut out of my diet and said never again. I got me some measuring cups and a food scale and I started weighing and measuring everything. I stuck to the serving size of what I ate unless veggies, like broccoli, I would eat two servings.

Over time as I learned my diet got better and I still get my treats most daily. When you figure out no food is good or bad you wont feel the need to cut a whole group out of your diet. Eating this way has helped me lose 91 pounds since January. Even with that much weight loss I have not found the key to weight loss just what works for me. I do know if you stick to what MFP gives you and you log everything you will lose. The rate depends on to many factors to tell how long it will take.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OP you opened up a can of worms here. There is so many ways to lose weight that it is really hard to know what is right and wrong. The right one is the one you can do if you can eat that way the rest of your life. If you are doing something super restrictive like no carbs and your a carb lover it wont work and you will gain back when your done.

When I started I had so many people telling me what I was doing wrong I almost quit. Finally I put my diary to private and did what was best for me. I cut out all pop. That is the only thing I cut out of my diet and said never again. I got me some measuring cups and a food scale and I started weighing and measuring everything. I stuck to the serving size of what I ate unless veggies, like broccoli, I would eat two servings.

Over time as I learned my diet got better and I still get my treats most daily. When you figure out no food is good or bad you wont feel the need to cut a whole group out of your diet. Eating this way has helped me lose 91 pounds since January. Even with that much weight loss I have not found the key to weight loss just what works for me. I do know if you stick to what MFP gives you and you log everything you will lose. The rate depends on to many factors to tell how long it will take.

Nope, there's only 1 way to lose weight... eat less than you burn.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nope, there's only 1 way to lose weight... eat less than you burn.

True CICO is the basic's but I was talking about diet styles, like atkins, paleo, vegetarian, HFLC, IIFYM, IF.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You did it before so you know what to do (eat less, move more, track calories with as close to 100% accuracy as possible). The trick is, when you reach your goal, to learn how to maintain that loss.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    i have been here before. Lost a whole bunch and gained it back. 30 pounds to be exact. A size 6 to a 12 and I'm miserable. I have tried everything and the more I try and try and go back to what I did before to loose weight I end up gaining more! It's so frustrating I don't even know where to start again because absolutely nothing is working!

It is working! You just said yourself that you lost the weight. The problem is that you stop doing it, not that it didn't work. You need to manage your calories forever. Overeating will always cause weight gain. Always. So, don't go back to overeating.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    "Need2Exerc1se;37560465"]

It is working! You just said yourself that you lost the weight. The problem is that you stop doing it, not that it didn't work. You need to manage your calories forever. Overeating will always cause weight gain. Always. So, don't go back to overeating.

This^

Find an estimate of your maintenance calories at your current weight. That's called total daily energy expenditure (TDEE).

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Then change 1 number. Plug in your goal weight.

The difference between those 2 numbers is (approximately) the permanent change you need to keep your size 6.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Diet and Exercise.
  • Krisjhn
    Krisjhn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last 10 lbs of my 30lb weight loss journey. Let's be friends. I'll share what I've learned along the way.