How do I deal with being hungrier the more I lose weight?

Options
Hi, in mid June I started My Fitness Pal and counting calories. I also started eating Vegetarian 6 days a week. My wife and I like to cook, so we always search for new recipes. Dinner is a real joy because there is always something exciting or new to eat. As we've acquired new recipes, our lunches are pretty interesting too. To keep calories down, we usually have 1 serving of quick oats for breakfast, and sometimes I'll eat a banana with breakfast. We also drink 2 cups of black coffee, and 1 cup of coffee with unsweetened coconut almond milk as a treat. We also eat snacks like yogurt, smoothies, and hummus.

The point--we have no trouble staying under our calorie goals even though we eat a lot of yummy and varied meals. However I've noticed the more weight I've lost (37 lbs in 2.5 months), the more I dream about food and feel hungry. I drink tons of water, so I don't think its because I'm thirsty. We noticed that as the weight has been dropping off, that edge of being hungry stands out more.

Do the food fantasies ever go away? I heard that when you lose weight, your metabolism drops. Am I doomed to a life of hunger even when I'm maintaining my weight? I'm male, 5' 11", 219 lbs going for 200 lbs then maybe 180 lbs.

Because we eat vegetarian, we eat a lot of fiber, veggies, legumes, complex carbs, etc...very little "added" sugar. Our meals aren't full of "junk food" or "sweets." We are satisfied at every meal for the most part, but between meals we feel hungry. A couple times this month we turned our weekly "cheat" meal into nearly a "cheat" week. What happened is that we had eaten all our meals and snacks for the day, and 6pm came and we were like...dude, wouldn't it be great to get a pizza? Then we got an extra large 5 topping pizza and ate the whole thing between the 2 of us. The next day we each ate 2 double cheese burgers and 10 chicken nuggets, and the next day we each had 8 pieces of KFC dark meat chicken.

These "binges" cost us 1/2 the month in our dieting efforts. Luckily we are focused and weren't too hard on ourselves. If I didn't get hungry and have food fantasies then I wouldn't binge. The 1 meal a week cheat would be enough to keep us focused, and like I said, we cook some really great meals.

Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tips on dealing with hunger the more I lose weight, and if anyone has experienced this.

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hunger is very individual, so the experience of others may not be predictive for you. For lots of people, though, high protein and high fat helps A LOT -- both can be more challenging for vegetarians. First step would be experimenting with your macros, adding high fat & protein foods like nuts & seeds, avocado, eggs, cheese, etc. Do a search, there are tons of threads about hunger and high fat/protein foods for vegetarians.

As you lose weight, your TDEE goes down of course (so you have to eat less to maintain) but also your deficit should decrease. In other words, as you get leaner, you have to slow down the weight loss to minimize muscle loss. Being hungry is a sign of a deficit that is too aggressive. Don't know your starting weight, but unless you started morbidly obese, your loss has been rather aggressive.

But aside from all that, it sounds like you guys have made huge changes. Generally speaking, small changes are easier to maintain over the long haul. Maybe if you found ways to work foods you love into your regular diet, the food fantasies would go away, as would the binges?
  • sbubenchik
    sbubenchik Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ok first off how many calories are you taking in? Also, the processed carbs like the oats you like are raising your sugar causing an insulin spike resulting in a crash and or hunger. Legumes also play a roll in stopping your cells from being able to fully absorb all the nutrients from the good foods. If you wanna add and or message me feel free. This is what I do. No silly diets, crazy workouts, or being hungry after you eat. AND get super fit. I'm here to help. Good luck
  • bvarbel
    bvarbel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you are right...We have been very aggressive with our deficit. I could probably eat another 500-700 calories a day and still lose weight--and that's like 2 more good meals a day. My Fitness Pal has been amazing though. it really keeps us focused 90% of the time. I have never been able to stick with something and see such great direct results before. I have eaten low carb and lost massive amounts of weight, but the second you have carbs, its hard to get focused again and the weight comes back. We've made a few mistakes in the last 2.5 months since we started, but, so far, we've been able to quickly get back on the wagon and see good results.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How many calories, and how much fat and protein do you get per day?
  • bvarbel
    Options
    I aim for 1400 a day plus whatever extra I "earn" walking which is only about another 120 calories... I eat about 50-70 units of protein a day, and between 30 and 50 fat units a day. I don't try to restrict fat or anything...it just seems about the average depending on what we eat. Again I am 39 years old, 219 lbs, 5'11"...I was 256 lbs 2.5 months ago...I'm losing an average of 3+ pounds a week...I only lose 1 or so pounds a week on the couple bad weeks where I binged.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1400 is very low. What do you mean by units? Grams?
  • bvarbel
    Options
    sorry...yes grams
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yep... you have to eat more.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,223 Member
    Options
    You are losing at pretty close to 4 pounds a week. That is far too aggressive. Two pounds a week is recommended for those who are obese, and the closer one gets to their goal, the smaller their deficit should be. 1400 calories would be below the level that is generally considered necessary for a man to get the minimum nutrition necessary. The hunger you are experiencing is because you are not eating enough and you are starting to experience what comes from that.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've intentionally tried to lose weight three times in my life, first time was a learning experience and the last two I had it on lock and it was (and currently is) pretty easy. Clearly since its been three times I need to work on the whole maintenance thing but that is a seperate issue.

With that backstory the only time I felt hungry or like I was food obsessed during weight loss was when I approached weightloss by having a large calorie deficit and then feeling good when I was actually under my goal (like under it, not at it) creating an even larger deficit. Overtime I started to feel weaker and developed gnawing hunger between meals which I didn't find all that satisfying since I was eating chicken breasts and vegetables for the most part.

The current way I lose weight is to increase my activity level significantly while counting calories but not being particularly restrictive. Right now I am losing slightly over a pound a week eating about 2400 calories a day (eating not netting) due to my activity level. Doing it that way I am not only not hungry but I'm also satisfied with what I'm eating because I can eat what I want basically and don't have to restrict to piles of vegetables and low fat items.

So when I hear someone is struggling with hunger, my first question is...how much are you eating in terms of calories. What is your estimated TDEE and how much of a deficit are you aiming for. Do you consider it "good" to be under your goal?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I 'm surprised MFP is popping up messages that your calories are too low ... unless, of course, you never 'complete' the diary for the day. MFP recommends no less than 1200 for female and 1500 for male. It also recomments 30% in fat and 20% in protein, with the rest coming from carbs, mostly complex carbs like you get from whole grains and a large variety of vegetables and fruits, with nuts several times a week.

Like everyone said, eat more. Also ... I have found from my own trials and tribulations in my weight loss journey is that if I give in to the kind of food you binged on ... KFC, Burgers, Pizza, I can gain over 10 pounds inside of a few days but it takes me about 1 month of being strict on my intake to lose that weight again. It happened to me in August. ... A binge started from eating too much fruit in one day that caused a craving for bread, which I bought, before I knew it I had chineses, KFC and a processed meat submarine sandwich to log into my food journal!. When i keep my carbs at about 150 a day I am satisfied on about 1300 calories a day.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    bvarbel wrote: »
    I aim for 1400 a day plus whatever extra I "earn" walking which is only about another 120 calories... I eat about 50-70 units of protein a day, and between 30 and 50 fat units a day. I don't try to restrict fat or anything...it just seems about the average depending on what we eat. Again I am 39 years old, 219 lbs, 5'11"...I was 256 lbs 2.5 months ago...I'm losing an average of 3+ pounds a week...I only lose 1 or so pounds a week on the couple bad weeks where I binged.

Sorry I hadn't seen this. So you are 219 pounds and eat 1520 calories a day on average. I am 175 pounds and I eat 2400 calories a day on average and am currently losing weight at about 1 pound per week. I think I know why you are hungry.

As a 219 pound man you really don't need to be calorie restricting that much to lose weight. Up your calories. Even eating 2000 a day you'd still be losing weight. If 2000 still isn't satisfying then try taking the time to increase your activity level which will let you eat even more while still losing at the same rate.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I haven't read anything but I'm going to go with the fact that your deficit is almost twice what it should be so this is an easy solution...eat more :) (i wish this was my solution ;)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Your deficit is too aggressive. You are having compliance issues because of it.

It is much more important for you to continue till you get to a healthy weight and then maintain than it is for you to get there fast in a body and mind that are fighting you tooth and nail.

A 500 Cal a day deficit would have you eating (probably substantially) more than 2000 Cal a day *and* losing a good 50lbs in a year.

There really is no prize to reaching the end fast because there exists no end where you can go back to how you used to operate without regaining the weight you're losing.

You will benefit greatly by exploring and enjoying your new reality in a more leisurely fashion.
  • bvarbel
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will increase my calories. In response to a previous poster, I do log my calories everyday, but as long as I input at least 1200, MFP doesn't give me an "error" message. I'm going to try for 1800 calories a day and see how I do for a couple weeks. I need to find something workable that I can do long term...and being hungry all the time isn't that workable except when I see the pounds falling off :smile:
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Invest in a free trending weight website or application to help you figure out which way your weight is really going when the scale doesn't move several lbs in a single day (in other words when you don't have excessive deficits)

Trendweight.com (works easiest with a free even without a band Fitbit.com account); Weightgrapher.com; Happy Scale for iphone; Libra Android. When setting up weightgrapher lie and tell it your goal is to maintain so that it doesn't give you useless suggestions.

Do try to remember that this is not for one day.
    There are no time limits.

Every additional day that you embed into your psyche a better relationship with food, movement, and exercise is a clear win.

Every month that your weight trend does not go up is a clear win.

Generally speaking a 20% deficit is as fast as most people should go. Most obese people can still pursue a 25% deficit without un-wanted consequences. However as you enter the upper band of overweight you may notice that your ratio of fat to lean mass lost become less favourable with a larger deficit.

Your weight loss of 37lbs over 2.5 months implies an average daily deficit of over 1700 calories.

Anecdotally, the amount of people who end up with gallbladder removal surgery after rapid weight loss is significant as can be attested by talking to people on MFP.

If on average you eat about 1500 Calories, this implies a TDEE of about 3200 calories, which sounds about right for your weight given a lightly active (about 75 minutes or 7500 steps worth of activity in a day) lifestyle

A person with a TDEE of 3200 calories should be eating about 2400 calories a day while obese and would be losing on average about 1.5lbs a week.

Over the course of a year this would result in a weight loss of over 75lbs while they remained obese.

My contention is that they would reduce that deficit further once they become overweight.

Yes, I saw your post about 1800. That is still an extreme deficit of about 1400 calories a day or 43.75% of your TDEE.

You know how you've been playing with new foods? This is an EXCELLENT idea.

You now need to extend that idea further and build a toolkit so that you are able to continue on this path once the shinny newness of rapidly losing weight is no longer there to motivate you daily.

Oh: and please consider raising your protein level if you don't have kidney issues. While 50-70g meets the RDA levels several studies show that 2X and even 3X RDA protects lean mass at a deficit and (absent kidney issues) has few side-effects. Most people aim for about 0.8 to 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. The recommendation for obese people often is to aim for 0.8 to 1g per lb of weight at BMI 25