Problems with sweets... :(

Options
I have always had random cravings for sweets/chocolate and Ive always had trouble to control it.. thats also the only reason i gain weight, i dont eat any other unhealthy food only sweets... for about a month i was able to control it and not eat at all for days but lately I am so stressed.. Im thinking about my exams in uni, if i'll be able to graduate on time etc... and chocolate relaxes me.
Does anyone has any tips on how to stop/ control these random cravings? Or any advice in general? Id really appreciate it!
Thank you!

Replies

• PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem all my life with sweets. My only way to control the cravings is not to eat sweets at all, only a little fruit. Other people say to eat them in moderation as a regular part of your life, but I have never been able to do that.

If I fill up on other food, protein and vegetables, the cravings go away.

I am also drinking water and chewing sugarless gum to deal with stress (I am an older person but went back to college, so I understand your stress about your classes).

I am not diabetic, but my doctor told me recently my blood sugar is too high, another reason not to eat sweets.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    They are not random. They are related to stress and other triggers. Understand the triggers and you can develop strategies for self care that don't involve sweets.

I recommend Habit by Duhigg.
  • hopejaye75
    hopejaye75 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I save my calories for something sweet or salty depending on the day,but chocolate graham crackers or vanilla cupcake goldfish and animal crackers is my go to..also halo top has a great ice cream that's only 240 cal for the whole thing it's really good..I can't handle the sweetener in it which I'm still bummed about but if you can it's a great option ..
  • sharts11
    sharts11 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sweets have always been my problem area as wel. I also managed to stay away from sweets for a month, but then a couple of days ago I gave in and had ice cream. I love all chocolate of any kind. I discovered protein shakes in multiple flavors, but chocolate is my favorite by far. I drink one called Premier Protein. It has 160 calories, but 30 grams of protein!! The flavor is similar to Yoo-hoo chocolate drink. There are many other protein shakes on the market such as Muscle Milk or Lean Body. I found that my cravings and desire for sweets are taken care of after drinking a chocolate shake.
  • thinkpink73089
    thinkpink73089 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes I have the same problem with sweets, I will eat healthy through the whole day and then at night I just find myself wanting to binge on sweets. It's disgusting when I look at myself after I do that and I am racked with guilt and my stomach hurts. I saw a cool thing I've been trying out and it's worked for 5 days now. After dinner, I will chew on some sugarless gum, drink unsweetened tea, brush my teeth when I'm done cleaning up after dinner. If I start to think about sweets later in the night I will chug water and use mouthwash.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    86% cacao dark chocolate. One square every night after dinner. What a decadent life saver and ok nly 60 cals!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    kally_wph wrote: »
    I have always had random cravings for sweets/chocolate and Ive always had trouble to control it.. thats also the only reason i gain weight, i dont eat any other unhealthy food only sweets... for about a month i was able to control it and not eat at all for days but lately I am so stressed.. Im thinking about my exams in uni, if i'll be able to graduate on time etc... and chocolate relaxes me.
    Does anyone has any tips on how to stop/ control these random cravings? Or any advice in general? Id really appreciate it!
    Thank you!

The reason you gain weight is too many calories. Those calories can come from sweets like chocolate, but also from so called "healthy" foods like chicken and broccoli.

Many people find working small amounts of the foods they love in on a daily basis a good way to minimize the tendency to overdo it because they have restricted too heavily. I eat chocolate pretty much every day, and was able to lose weight and am now currently maintaining.

Work the chocolate into your daily calories and good luck on your studies!
  • kally_wph
    kally_wph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the awesome advice! you've all been really helpful!
    I will definitely try eating dark chocolate after my dinner, since I too have most cravings during the night!
    And also Im gonna give it a go in these protein shakes, I will only have to figure out where exaclty I can buy them, I think in my country they dont sell these in supermarkets.
    Also @jgnatca what exactly is habbit that you recommended me?
    Thank you again everyone!!
    (And sorry for any mistakes)
    :)
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to fit things you like into your diet. I do find that apples help control my sweet tooth, though.