think ive lost my period...

Options
This is something im in no way going to ask anybody i know off of this website cause its completely embarrassing, but im not sure whats up and would rather get some in sights beforehand.

Ill start with no im not pregnant. Im a mom of four, i know what thats all about. But im going on almost two months now w/o a period. Any one ever go through this???? i know my "diet" could be to blame but as of how much?

Replies

• Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If your body fat is too low, you will stop having a period.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When I first started my lifestyle change, and started my exercise program - I went a little over two months w/o getting my TOM (I've been super-regular since having my daughter in 2003). When I did get it, it was normal - but then I got it again - full blown - two and a half weeks later. I'm waiting to see what happens this next month. I think when you change up your lifestyle drastically, your body reacts in different ways. If you haven't started in another month, though, you might ask your OB...

Good luck.

Edited to add I didn't see your CW - it may very well be your body fat level...I would ask a physician what their thoughts are.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Well, my first thought is that your body fat may be too low. See your doctor to get the truth.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me earlier this year. I was at around 111. Then after missing it for 3 months, I gained 3 or 4 pounds with no real explanation and all of a sudden the period was back. That was a month ago almost...not sure if it'll happen again!

Your body may be trying to figure out what it's own ideal weight is AND if you aren't eating enough it doesn't have the energy to get that lovely monthly process movin'. Listen to your body, your hunger signals, it's going to come eventually. I know our cycle reacts to changes in diet, exercise, stress levels, life changes, etc. It'll come eventually :)
  • quara
    quara Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A few years back when I lost a bunch of weight, my period stopped for 4 months and the doctor said my body just needed to catch up and readjust (and it did, without me putting on any more weight). Later I lost even more weight and lost my period again, and this time it didn't come back until I put on some more body fat. So... your body might catch up? or maybe it's a sign that you could put on a few pounds?
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    mine disappeared for 4 months when I started here. I am on the pill, and wasn't pregnant, and my body fat was definitely not too low. I think it was just the shock to my system from changing my eating and exercise habits. It did eventually come back- to be greeted with mixed emotions.
  • fullrunner
    fullrunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I lost mine when I was 39. Just disappeared. Not pre-menopause, just gone. It happened when I significantly changed my eating habits and lost a lot of weight at one time. I had moved overseas and perhaps the stress (although all positive/excitement stress) put a strain on my system. Imagine being in South America, not speaking the language, and thinking you are pregnant! (Especially since I have two adopted kids and have never been preggo before) - freaky!

Go to your doc. I'm sure everything is fine.

P.S. mine comes back from time to time, maybe once a year or so.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It is completely normal that when you lose a lot of weight, you also lose your period. It is most likely temporary. If it lasts more than 3 months, I would go see your doctor.

In the meantime make sure that you are getting plenty of iron, water and protein.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I didn't get mine one month, but I'm on birth control and my doc said that the pill I take, can cause you stop having a period.

I also know that if your weight is too low, then it can cause it too stop. If you're worried, go see your doc so that you can know for sure.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    she is only 5 feet tall and 120 pounds -- hardly underweight. She sounds healthy...

Are you under stress? Are you usually regular?

just a possibility, but could it be early menopause -- just a thought.
  • shelly650
    shelly650 Posts: 319
    Options
    I also missed mine in June! Im 17 and defo not pregnant!! I was ALWAYS very regular! I think im going to wait another month or so and see what happens......if no change i will go see my doctor! I have heard that it could be caused by low eostrogen levels, but im not sure! :)
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I was an anorexic teen, my periods stopped for over a year. Not saying (or even hinting) that you're anorexic (!), but if you're drastically restricting calories or have really increased physical activity or have lost a lot of weight in a fairly short time, it could cause your periods to stop or become strangely irregular. I would definitely go see your doc and make sure everything is as it should be.

Kris
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when I first started exercising and changing my diet. But it did come back. :ohwell:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    A few years back when I lost a bunch of weight, my period stopped for 4 months and the doctor said my body just needed to catch up and readjust (and it did, without me putting on any more weight). Later I lost even more weight and lost my period again, and this time it didn't come back until I put on some more body fat. So... your body might catch up? or maybe it's a sign that you could put on a few pounds?

weight change will effect your hormone levels. Are you on birth control hormones? Go to DR or GYM and discuss. It may be you need to change types or amount of hormone, now. Or, your body needs to catch up; or, your body fat is too low.
  • ShyBreasts
    ShyBreasts Posts: 91
    Options
    In short; if your body fat is too low it will stop your period, also if you are stressed that might be to blame :)
  • mazomama
    mazomama Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, no im not under weight. I have a bmi of 23.4, thats the higher end of normal.

I just wanted to know if the whole cycle thing has messed up before for any one and the situation.
    Thanks ladies
  • exercisarah
    Options
    i haven't gotten mine for about a year now.. i'm not pregnant/married/sexually active. I'm just extremely active in that I exercise a lot. It's happened to a lot of my friends who work out a lot too, I don't think it's too big of a deal, but I guess I could be wrong.. either way I don't mind not having it ;)
  • misroz31
    misroz31 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was working out a lot my TOM stopped temporarily. I was a little worried but it did come back. If you are working out a lot that will happen. Especially with weights
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I find this an interesting thread as I have the same problem. I started MFP and healthy eating/exercising in the beginning of march and since then I havn't had a period (so thats nearly 5 months). Im not pregnant/on the pill or anything like that. Ive lost about a stone since I started so I dont know if you could call that a 'lot of weight' in that it causes my period to stop?? Im in the 160'slbs at the minute so it cant be low body fat either. In the last month or so ive started to get a little worried and havn't gone to my doc yet. I just dont really understand why i could be missing them because i dont see my eating habits as a massive change, just healthier.
    Im not doing really intense exercise either at the minute, just walking wherever I can and the odd exercise dvd....Im confused!