Stand up paddling

Options
how would you determine calories for this?it was quite an upper body and core workout for 60 minutes...

Replies

• Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I got tired of trying to figure it out so I got a heart rate monitor! :)
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Excuse my ignorrance but what is "Stand Up Paddling" cause I haven't heard of this execise? As in paddling a boat? Paddling like in spanking? Educate me.......
  • BeCali
    BeCali Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun. Maybe similar to kayaking? Although you are probably using more leg muscles than with kayaking to maintain stability.
  • BeCali
    BeCali Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    PS: We have exactly the same starting weight and goal. Good luck.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is basically standing on a surf board and using a paddle to propel yourself. I have a body bugg, but was afraid I might fall in and ruin it....luckily I didn't fall.
  • Momma24
    Momma24 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Stand of paddling if I am not mistaken is where you stand on a larger surfboard and paddle. I was on the coast last week and I sat and watched a lady paddling away just as I described going across the bay.
  • Momma24
    Options
    I posted at the same time with the same answer:blushing:
  • Momma24
    Options
    I was in Santa Cruz a week ago Wed. watching a lady stand up paddle early in the morning while I was standing on the warf. Is is possible it was you? Because the lady looked very similar to your profile pic
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    No, it wasn't me, this was my first time.
  • DTRTinAZ
    DTRTinAZ Posts: 29
    Options
    Wow! That sounds like fun...trying to figure out where I can do that around my house? Maybe the pool for now. Anyway...thinking "rowing" might be similar enough.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Very cool! We have a couple of paddle boarders in our kayak group, and I so want to try that! You could either use kayaking or rowing - both are in the database. It's an estimate, at best. I mean, when I log kayaking, I just enter the time I paddle, but we both know that paddling on a lake is a whole different burn than paddling in swift current on a river. :smile: