How do I get fit with no gym or equipment?

Options
I never was one to exercise. PE was my worst class. Exercise doesn't feel good to me, and I find it boring like running on a hamster wheel.

I'm starting to lose a substantial amount of weight. I started at 256 lb and I'm now 219 lb using MFP and counting calories. I'm 5'11" and I lost this weight since mid June.

I do walk one 18 minute mile a few times a week. According to MFP its worth about 120 calories. My heart rate doesn't really get elevated though...I just use it so that I can eat a little more.

Before I lose too much muscle, I want to try to create an exercise program that is fun. I don't have any equipment or gym membership. I want to have a fit, tone body and good cardiovascular endurance. I tried doing 5 sets of counter push ups 3 times a week because I can't even do 1 real push up. I tried a 3 minute ab work out 3 times a week too. I gave those up because I find them boring. I do enjoy my morning walk though...I just do 4 laps on a track with my wife and we talk about the day and make plans and goals and stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can bring more fitness into my life...how can a beginner who is not fit get fit? I don't want to have my skinny body but be all bone and flab. I want to have a healthier physical lifestyle.

Replies

• BiggeA
    BiggeA Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are probably your best bet. The counter push ups should build strength if effort is invovled, you can also do knee push ups. Squats with no weight. Negatives for pull-ups and dips. Ect,

You can build your own equipment for a few $. Such as Scoobys TRX strap for $5, A set of milk gallons filled with water / sand used like dumbbells can build muscle. There are lots of options really. Try googling "home made gym", see what you come up with.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    find any sport you enjoy and do that. maybe your town has a baseball league, or tennis, racketball, chop firewood, garden , do anything active on a regular basis. If you dont like gyms or traditional weightlifting type exercises, dont do them, thats only one way to be fit, there are a zillion other ways.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of sports ... pick one, pick several. Try out various things and see what you like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You might try getting a FitDeck or using the app. It's all body weight exercises.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    oh man, I've so been there. The thing I learned for myself, that might apply to you, too, is that there's no way to cheat your way to fitness. If I want to look and feel like a person who gets plenty of exercise, I'm gonna have to actually do the exercise. If I want to look and feel like a person who does yoga every day, guess what? it's yoga every day.

you're wondering how to transition from fat guy who's not into exercise to fit guy who cheerfully gets plenty? there have been some good suggestions already in this thread. Maybe try adding a tiny bit of jogging to your walks? kinda sneak up on that heart rate? Maybe get a trial gym membership to see if the challenge of lifting weight feels good to you?

I'm afraid pretty much anything's going to kind of suck at first, though. You might have to hang in there and work through that feeling of boredom and discomfort. Once you get the hang of it, you'll probably find it feels good to get your blood flowing, but that might not happen right away.

ETA: the thing I found to work out without a gym or (much) equipment hasn't been mentioned yet. I use fitnessblender.com workout videos. you, op, might find them boring and uncomfortable, but as an answer to the titular question, there are plenty of low impact and beginner level options that require no equipment.
  • aidy__b
    aidy__b Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've just started HIIT workouts at home. Hard, fun and you need no equipment. May be worth considering- there are loads on YouTube
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You Are Your Own Gym is a great bodyweight program with lots of progression. I did the program for 2 months and found it quite good.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Look up Convict Conditioning, and I think it is You are Your Own Gym. Also look at any military PT program.

• Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    You wrap your head around the idea that fitness / exercise is boring but necessary so you do it anyway. Even 1/2 hour. Watch TV or listen to music while you do it. Sneak in some movement too. Do squats when you load the dishwasher, the washing machine & the dryer. I do leg lifts while I brush my teeth (It helps to assure that I brush for 2 minutes, which is also an important health factor)

Help with the housework; it burns calories. Doing house work is even more of a chore / torture then exercise to me but it gets done because it has to.

Add some weight to your walk. Throw some canned goods into a back pack & walk wearing that.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Youtube. Lots of free, high quality content can be found there. Explore it! Find something you like and stick with it.
  • treebodelight
    treebodelight Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out Athlean-X on YouTube or a Google search. There are loads of free and tremendously helpful videos to follow as well as a program if you'd like. The free videos are well worth it. They help you understand how your body works and how to build muscle. Good luck.
  • stuhldreier
    stuhldreier Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking why don't you just do more of what you like? Don't just walk for one mile but do 5.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Get a physically active hobby. Like walking? Go hiking at local parks. Take a camera and get into nature photography.

Take up yoga, martial arts, dancing, swimming, kayaking, cycling, volunteer to walk dogs at the shelter.

I don't go to a gym or use exercise equipment. Having a physical job helps but also I workout at a martial arts dojo three times a week, ride horses and also trim their hooves. All of this provides a ton of exercise and none of it is boring.

• Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking why don't you just do more of what you like? Don't just walk for one mile but do 5.

Yes! Also, switching up the pace of your walk can give you a bit of variety.

Either go faster the entire time if you can, or build in short bursts where you walk as fast as you can then drop back to your current pace.

And congratulations on your progress so far. Keep it up!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Increase your walking as you are able--longer walks more often. 2 years ago I started with 1 mile a few times per week. Now I walk 4-5 miles every day, broken into a few separate walks. You can try videos such as leslie Sansone Walk at Home.
    You need strength training to help retain muscle & get the body you say you want. I worked with a personal trainer since day 1, but that's not for everyone. You could get a resistance band for less than $20 and go from there. Bodyweight exercises might be too hard & discouraging & /or boring for you at this point.
    Take a look in Success Stories for my "2 year transformation" story. It was on the first page this morning.
    Keep in mind that not everything you do in this process will feel like fun. We do what we have to do to get the results we want. It's no fun being severely overweight and out of shape. I know, been there, done that.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are there bleachers by that track you walk on? If so, do a lap. Time yourself. Next time do another lap or try to beat your time.

Keep the counter push-ups and try adding one or two bench-height push-ups.

Add a pulling exercise. TRX suspension system is great. I made my own with things lying around the house.
    27mm7gbvm5pi.jpeg

Ratchet strap, carabiners and handles. You can throw them over a beam or around a tree and train anywhere.
  • chrisg676
    chrisg676 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you tried HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)? I have a DVD box set of Tapout XT. There's also Insanity. Equipment is minimal with Tapout. Included in the box are resistance bands , a small towel, a recipe booklet, and an exrecipe programme. If you stick at for 90 days and follow the nutrition, you will have the body of a fighter. I'm not quite there yet for various reasons. I also do a lot of cycling. I have lost weight. People keep telling me I look thinner. I've saved myself a fortune without going to the gym.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has hit it pretty good. Body weight training, you don't need to necessarily walk further (yet) but throw in a few fast paces during your walk to turn up the intensity. I love my TRX straps you can really do a lot with them. HIIT is great, like I said, I think they have covered it all here!
  • tashiaberman
    tashiaberman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a good all-over body toning and aerobic exercise if you have a pool or a YMCA nearby. The water helps take some of the pressure off your joints while you exercise also. I personally find most types of aerobic and weight training exercises intensely boring also. My personal choice is high-intensity karate, kick-boxing or MMA, which might appeal to a guy too. If you like dancing, take some classes and learn some new moves to wow the ladies when you get all buff.