Some advice, please? (eating exercise calories)

Options
Hi there,
I don't have much weight to lose (about 12 lbs), but I'm at a stand-still and am wondering if I should be eating my excercise calories, or if I should just eat what I'm allowed before II workout? I'm only on 1200 calories per day, and this seems pretty low to me.

I appreciate any assistance anyone can give!

Replies

• erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to keep your net calories at 1200, which does mean eating back your exercise calories. If you are worried that MFP is overestimating calorie burn, you should think about purchasing a heart rate monitor which is still an estimate of calories burned but I think it's more accurate than MFP.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Eat the exercise Calories. It is the healthy thing to do.
  • bunt
    bunt Posts: 1
    Options
    I think 1200 - 1500 is fine and I do not eat back my exercise cal. I am 5'4" and am at 150, started at about 185. I would also like to lose 10-15 more and burn about 450/day with exercise. It works for me and then it stops working but I keep trying to plow through the plateaus. I am also 53, so I have a slower metabolism. I think you need to consider your age when you decide what to do. It is also important to know what kind of foods are making up your 1200 cal. My best advice - change up your exercise and see what happens.
  • sidewinds
    sidewinds Posts: 14
    Options
    Agree. Eat the calories back. It will keep you on pace to make your goal for the week. It's ok to be under somedays and over others just try to get close to your goal everyday.
  • Maddog9933
    Options
    I was stuck too. The number of calories seems low. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you not eating after 8:00 PM? It amazed me that my breakthrough was my sleeping habits. I was getting about 3 -4 hours sleep a night. Then I disciplined myself to getting 6 hours. Also, I stopped eating after 8:00PM. That was my breakthrough moment. I lost 10 lbs within two 2 weeks.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    you may find this thread helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=work+out+like+crazy

If you have been at a plateau and are no longer losing, then it's probably time for a change. When you get close to goal (and you are SO close), and you exercise, you actually risk GAINING weight if you don't eat enough.

blessings.
  • mbb0301
    mbb0301 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was going to ask why eat your exercise calories, but this topic kinda cleared it up :)
  • LovesMyBananas
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

That was very helpful :)