Need to lose 100 pound / worried about looking old (YIKES!)

Let me just say that I am not a spring chicken. I will be turning 49 in september. I have been fortunate that most people think that I am younger than I am. That's cool, I like that especially since I am having issues getting closer to the big 50. I can accept that if I lose what I need to lose that I will have excess skin on my body. I won't like it but at least I can cover it up. What concerns me more is having my face droop. My older sister in law has lost about 70 pounds but she looks a little old and haggard in the face.

So to anyone else who isn't exactly a spring chicken and has lost a lot of weight, has your facial skin bounced back any? Will it? Do I need to prepare my self for the big face droop?

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    no worries! you will look and feel GREAT!!!
  • kellywaller1
    kellywaller1 Posts: 101
    I am not sure, but I have chosen my goal weight to be 130 for that reason anything under that and I will look saggy!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I'm a few years younger, 45 in October, and I've lost 40 pounds do far.
    I can definitely see more wrinkles around my eyes but the double chin has gone and I don't think there is excess saggy skin there. And I feel so much healthier and have more bounce, I think the overall package looks younger :smile:
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    They say that losing relatively slowly (allowing your skin to adjust), staying super hydrated, and keeping your skin moisturized will help minimize sagging.
  • Vcaser
    Vcaser Posts: 36
    I suspect the rate at which you lose might have something to do with it. Many gastric bypass patients I have seen who dropped loads of weight very fast always looked quite saggy and old. I'm talking loss of like 100 pounds in just a few months.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    if your worried; maybe you can take some preventative measures to try and help the situation; firming lotions; or even just regular lotions which will aid in skin elasticity; making sure u drink the correct amount of water for your body weight (minimum half ur body weight in ounces of water a day).. can also be sure to eat plenty of (or even take supplements) of skin elasticity boosting vitamins--vitamin k, e, c, a; etc.. some of those you can get lotions with the vitamins in it that help the skin from the outside, and taking the vitamin form or food form rich in those vitamins will fight it from the inside.

Im worried about excess skin so i drink all my water, and take a multi vitamin; and have been working on alot of ab, upper leg, and upper arm excercises.. i imagine i will have alot of excess skin since ive always been big, but whatever i can do to aid it im going to do so.. strength training helps with excess skin, ive been working everyday for the last week (and will continue to do so), with 3lb weights.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Yes the wrinkles have come out but I figure that my health is actually aging backwards as I lose weight and tone and am more active. My blood pressure and all of those numbers have improved to the point that they can't get much better. I suppose I can live with the wrinkles.
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    Worry about losing the weight first. First things first! Losing all that weight will be the very best thing in your life that you have ever accomplished. I'm in the same predicament. I'm going to go to a plastic surgeon for any unsightly skin areas, but that will be a long time from where I am currently. I only have 94 more pounds to go!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Your skin may not bounce back completely in other places, but I think usually the facial skin is ok. And honestly, most of the people that I know that have lost weight (some have lost a lot) look YOUNGER! Bonus!!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    I am 53 (older than all of you?) and I have been told that I look Younger since I lost weight. I lost the weight in 18 and 1/2 months, so not sure if that is considered "Slow" or not. I did drink loads of water, and I was doing Strength Training (Curves) from Day One. I do have wings (don't ALL women over 50 have them?!) but other than that the saggy/loose skin is really not that bad.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    I am only 34 years old and lost over 100 lbs and people say I look 10 years younger. I have lost weight real fast. I started on January 13th.
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Im 48 and I am planning on being my absolute sexiest, strongest and most incredible in my 50's !! This is the best time of my life right now and I am going to create my new kick *kitten* beautiful body too!! Get out of your own way and get to it..!!
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    I'm 42 and have lost 23 lbs. As acquaintances have begun noticing my weight loss I have also gotten alot of comments about looking younger also. I think that the extra weight actually makes people look older most of the time. As for sagging skin, I would say if you lose it at a reasonable rate and stay hydrated, your skin should adjust nicely to your new improved self.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    thank you for the words of wisdom! I agree health will be much better than saggy skin. Good luck to all of you on your journeys!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Worry about losing the weight first. First things first! Losing all that weight will be the very best thing in your life that you have ever accomplished. I'm in the same predicament. I'm going to go to a plastic surgeon for any unsightly skin areas, but that will be a long time from where I am currently. I only have 94 more pounds to go!

I have to disagree here...there are steps to make along the way that if u wait til your goal weight u can't change...plastic surgery should be a last resort after everything else has been tried...if I do all this water, vitamin, lotion and toning work and at the end I still have tons of skin, I will probably have the surgery too, but im going to do everything in my power to avoid ever needing it!
  • soundjunkie
    soundjunkie Posts: 41 Member
    I totally agree.....just wanted to offer alternatives to consider if all else fails.