Squats

Options
After the other day I don't know if I can ever do them again. I fought the squats and.... The squats won!

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    What type of squats were you doing? Some are much easier than others.
  • Justforme160yee
    Justforme160yee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I think he said up downs. 2 sets of 15 one time with 10lb weights and second time with 12.5... This was my first time ever doing anything like this
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    30 squats and I'm defeated lol I had no idea I was this out of shape!
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    You have a trainer? I'm surprised that he didn't have you perfect bodyweight squats before adding weight
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Learn how to do them perfectly with bodyweight only, then add weight after that. If you are just starting them, you shouldn't be adding additional weight
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    Yea, it's funny you guys are telling me this considering I'm paying a trainer.
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    Would this be the reason I can't hardly sit down or walk down stairs?
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    And I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm sorry if it came off like that.... I am totally clueless on what I'm doing.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Oh you mean DOMS? (Delayed onset muscle soreness) that's normal especially if it's a new exercise. It will go away in a few days. I find walking/light exercise helps with the muscle pain
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The DOMS are perfectly normal after an intense training session. That will go away after a few days, but I can't say I'm impressed with the trainer starting you on weighted squats if you haven't done them before.
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    Yes, it's just soreness. Thanks, I did a little treadmill. 18 minutes. Lol proud of my self. Honestly. It took a lot for me to actually get there. Because my legs hurt lol but! I'm on a mission!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it. I went from being sore doing body weight work to squatting 200+ pounds and almost never getting sore. Best not to let DOMs get you sedentary. It will feel better if you go for a walk or something.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Squats is gonna give you DOMS when you're new or switch them up

They engage so many muscles so effectively how could they not

Wait till you're slinging your bodyweight or more on your back and going A2G :bigsmile:
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Just about every new lift I have done has left me with DOMS, it just happens.
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    What's doms? And a2g? And I was thinking why he started me off with weights... And maybe he was trying to " kick star" if there is such a thing?

It's funny my problem is walking Down the stairs I look like a fool lol. And my neighbor walked by me and said.... Leg day? I get it lol
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    I have a long journey and 80lbs to loose. I'm guessing I will be hurting for a while lol till I reach my goal.
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    What's doms? And a2g? And I was thinking why he started me off with weights... And maybe he was trying to " kick start" if there is such a thing?

It's funny my problem is walking Down the stairs I look like a fool lol. And my neighbor walked by me and said.... Leg day? I get it lol

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I have a long journey and 80lbs to loose. I'm guessing I will be hurting for a while lol till I reach my goal.

it only hurts for a while, and then your body gets adjusted to it. relative to the time you'll spend on the journey, the first couple of weeks after starting is nothing at all.

and yeah, my first encounter with squats and lunges was body weight in a circuit session. recovery took me two weeks. maybe wouldn't have taken that long if i'd been willing to drink more water, but i so dreaded having to pee.