Any have problems with insomnia and dieting?

I started my diet again this week and at the same time I have had insomnia. Last night for example, went to bed at 10pm fell asleep straight away but woke up at 10.30 pm and wasn't able to fall over until midnight, I then woke this morning at 4am and have been awake since.

This has happened all week, I'm not sure why as I generally don't do caffeine. Any others have this issue?

Replies

• BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    I'm going into my third week of my diet. I found it really hard to sleep for the first week as well. I was feeling hungry going to bed and couldn't sleep because of it- and yeah, I'd wake up hungry in the middle of the night too.

I found that changing around my plans to let me have a nice proteiny snack about an hour before I go to bed helped an awful lot. I found a small handful of nuts and seeds, or else carrots dunked in almond butter, helped me to feel more full going to bed. Also, I think that just adjusting to the new normal helped a lot? I found that for week 1 I was grumpy, irritable, not sleeping- the lot. It all calmed down a bit in week 2.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Are you doing low carbs? That can cause insomnia
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It's on and off for me. I don't think it's due to my diet though.. just my brain won't shut off.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Adding in exercise has helped for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    1. What's your daily calorie defict?
    2. What time do you eat last?

I have a bedtime snack because if I don't, I wake hungry. I also don't have an aggressive calorie deficit.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    1. What's your daily calorie defict?
    2. What time do you eat last?

I have a bedtime snack because if I don't, I wake hungry. I also don't have an aggressive calorie deficit.

I am quite aggressive during the week, could be lower than 1500 but with weekends it all averages out to about 1700-1800.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I started my diet again this week and at the same time I have had insomnia. Last night for example, went to bed at 10pm fell asleep straight away but woke up at 10.30 pm and wasn't able to fall over until midnight, I then woke this morning at 4am and have been awake since.

This has happened all week, I'm not sure why as I generally don't do caffeine. Any others have this issue?

Yes it happens to me if I eat under 1400 calories.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Yep, if my last meal/snack of the day is too early.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Per my doctor, losing weight does affect your body chemistry, metabolism, hormones, etc, all of which can affect sleep. Sad but true.
  • marmaladepixie
    marmaladepixie Posts: 83 Member
    What has worked for me is to save up enough calories to have a really substantial dinner...otherwise it's up at 2 am and staying awake the rest of the night
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    I've found myself staying up later since starting to track my calories - but I think it has more to do with other things going on in my life right now. Regular exercise helps with sleep a lot for me. I've noticed on days were I get at least 30 minutes cardio in I sleep much better than the days I don't.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member
    What's the issue, exactly?

I've had big trouble with sleep interruption insomnia since chemotherapy (sixteen looooong years ago).

If you're falling asleep, then waking, but then unable to fall asleep again due to racing brain, that can be manageable.

Commit half an hour. Do a meditation technique like relaxation response. relaxationresponse.org/steps/ Be patient with yourself!

If you're still wide awake after that, get up an do something calming (not computer or phone or TV time), preferably in dim light, like some stretching, yoga, hot bath, reading (not in bed) then try again.

If that doesn't work, try hot milk (if you do dairy) and/or melatonin. Relax again . . . .

Wishing you rest!