Strength training at home?

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
I am trying to figure out if strength training can be done at home.

Theoretically I can do many exercises with no equipment at home, but I am not sure if that will be enough to prevent muscle loss.

If you believe it is possible, please advise what exercises I should do.

Currently I do push-ups and leg squats only, plus running around a block every morning.

Replies

• FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    Check youtube. I know that it sounds crazy, but there are many different exercises that you can do with just body weight. You can set up a playlist to create a routine.
  • satch45
    satch45 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Check out the Sparticus Workout on Youtube. You can do it at home and all you need is a set of dumbbells or kettle weights.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    I bought free weights, resistance bands and a balance ball. Everything I used to do at the gym, can be done with those. I also got an aerobic step with extra risers, and use that as a bench as well as the step.

My scale measures body fat, muscle, and water % (who knows how accurate? that's another convo), and my muscle % has gone from 25.3% to 29% since April when I started lifting at home and doing the weight loss thing.
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    a lot of the jullian michaels and biggest loser dvd's are a mixture of cardio and strength training there are tons of squats and lunges in all of them, I have been doing them at home 5 days a week and notice a big difference in my muscles
    good luck
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bodybuilding.com? I started using it this week. They have some great workout plans and it's free. You can do a lot of stuff with hand weights. I would get several different weights. You can do body dips if you have a sturdy bench or chair. I use my coffee table. lol
  • GeminiMel02
    GeminiMel02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Push ups (with modified hand positioning - diamond, wide stance, closer in, at an incline (feet on a stair, etc)), pull ups/chin ups, sit ups, tricep/chair dips, squat thrusters, jumping squats, clapping push ups, *burpees* - there are tons of things you can do to strength train without equipment. Many people also believe that body weight is the best equipment.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Get a TRX, battling ropes, a sandbag, or some Kettlebells. Builds a ton of core strength as well.
  • coachligia
    coachligia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi :wink:

I was always against strength training, until I met THE MOTHER OF ALL WORKOUTS!!! At first I was hesitant but this is no joke, and it helped me understand and learn so much about my body!

It is a killer and not everyone can commit to it, but if you CAN then there is NO better out there!

P90X!!! I can send you a link with more information if you would be interested. I cannot do it here, it won't allow me to do it here!

I would be glad to help you!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm a Bodylastics junkie. Not just any resistance band. Bodylastics. I do not benefit in any way, blah blah
  • mariumosman
    Options
    Bump :)