Saving calories from daily allowance

Options
Hi. I'm new to fitness pal and was wondering if you can save a few cals each day to use for a special occasion?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Officially, no. But what many do is follow their weekly allowance through the app, eat a little less leading up to the event, then they can see the additional calories they have available.
  • runefinder
    runefinder Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank-you. I've eaten below my calorie quota every day leaving 694 left over before the start of a new week. So thinking red wine
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I read a thread on here a few weeks go someone saying that they divide their weekly cals by 8 and eat 6 days at that level, then leave the remainder for the 7 cheat day. ie 1,500 per day = 10500 per week. /8 = 1312 @ 6 days and 2625 @ 1 day given you a total of 10500. I haven't tried it myself but this poster had said it really helped them.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    No reason why not but expect a little gain after the blow out due to extra water and food in your system
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    A bottle of red is 700 calories, so leave one sip in the last glass and you're golden. Cheers!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    louise5779 wrote: »
    I read a thread on here a few weeks go someone saying that they divide their weekly cals by 8 and eat 6 days at that level, then leave the remainder for the 7 cheat day. ie 1,500 per day = 10500 per week. /8 = 1312 @ 6 days and 2625 @ 1 day given you a total of 10500. I haven't tried it myself but this poster had said it really helped them.

Mathematically correct, but I don't think the body likes that large portion of food from binge eating. A lot depends on overall condition too. Diabetics for example cannot put excessive amounts of sugar or carbohydrates into their body at one time, because their system can't process it. So they have smaller meals more often each day. One massive meal on what people on here call a "cheat day" would really cause trouble for them.
  • louise5779
    louise5779 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

Mathematically correct, but I don't think the body likes that large portion of food from binge eating. A lot depends on overall condition too. Diabetics for example cannot put excessive amounts of sugar or carbohydrates into their body at one time, because their system can't process it. So they have smaller meals more often each day. One massive meal on what people on here call a "cheat day" would really cause trouble for them.

Like I said. I have never tried it myself I was just mentioning something that I read in another post on here. Also they didn't say they were going to blow in all in one meal.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I will do that if there is a special occasion, such as our family dinners or gatherings. On those days I know all the food will be higher in calories and I will want a little dessert, so for the week before I will consume a little less calories so I will have extra for the occasion. It's not something I would want to do on regular basis, but I can manage it occasionally. On the special occasions, I try not to let the calories go any higher than maintenance.
  • runefinder
    Options
    Thank you all for your input and advice. I've taken it all on board. I've been a weight watchers advocate for years! So I'm used to saving then spending calories. This is my first full week comparing the two regimes side by side. I'm allowed more calories on ww. But I like the fitness pal for the nutritional information. Weigh in tomorrow. Keep.you posted. Xxxx
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

If OP isn't diabetic, it isn't a problem. Your body generally goes by weekly calories. Meal timings don't matter. As long as the numbers are under at the end of the week, you're golden. That's why the 5:2 diet works for a lot of people.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You should eat the recommended calories in real food. If you want extra calories in the form of alcohol, which has absolutely no nutrition, that is your choice. At 700 calories per week, it will cut into weight loss .5 to 1 pound per month, so that's not a huge deal. Nutrition first!
  • runefinder
    Options
    I didn't use the whole of the calories left over in the end. And 500 of it was in yesterday's allowance any hoo.So had about 250 of my left over cals. So I've lost 4 pounds in my first week. Pleased with that. X
  • mummytobeslim
    mummytobeslim Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this too as I'd like to have a few drinks at the weekend I guess as long as it all adds up it will even out eventually .
  • runefinder
    Options
    Hi mummytobeslim, I think it's OK. Every other diet allows you to carry cals over. As long as we don't binge or cheat it should be fine. I'm not a health guru just a woman trying to lose weight. A few treats here and there make life bearable. Friend me if you like. We can check each others progress and share tips
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I go by weekly average. I'm aiming for 1500 net, and I eat 1200 net most days and then go over two or three days every week so it averages out to 1500. It works for me, better than trying to stick to the same goal every day. Lots of others on here do something similar, there have been other conversations about it.
  • runefinder
    Options
    Yes. This seems far more achievable. I've dieted most of my life. But this really puts you in control. Xxxx