Wifi required for walking apps?

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
I have an Android smartphone and am looking into getting a walking app. I can get wifi for free at home, but have it disabled for outside home. Are there any walking apps that don't require constant wifi connection to work? Yes, I'm stupid about these things and I haven't found concrete answers on the websites for the apps.

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I used pacer on my android (didn't have cell service or wifi at the time) for about a year. Worked great for me!
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I used Endomondo for my walks and runs in the past. It only needs wifi to update your calories burned with MFP after you've finished your walk/run. When you are out walking all you need is GPS.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    They don't need WiFi to operate, but it can improve the location sensing.

They should be able to upload over WiFi or the mobile network.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Thanks! This is stuff I don't know.
  • zyxst
    Options
    Another stupid question about MapMyWalk. How does it work for picking a route? It seems to me that I have to go walk a route with my phone, go home, upload the route info, and create the route. Is that right? Yes, I sort of thought MMW would have pre-planned routes to follow.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Sorry, can't help with that as I don't use MapMyFitness apps.
  • zyxst
    Options
    No problem. I'm unable to login to any of the MapMyFitness apps so I uninstalled them and will look for other options.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Personally I'd recommend Endonomdo, which does have the ability to find nearby routes that others have logged. Runkeeper is also a solid option.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd recommend Endonomdo, which does have the ability to find nearby routes that others have logged. Runkeeper is also a solid option.

As is Strava.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the only thing I found with endomondo is that is grossly exaggerates calorie burn. it would give me 1 calorie for every 5-6 seconds.I knew that was inaccurate.I no longer use a walking app I just use my fitbit and get my steps in that way,even if I walk to town and back.
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Another stupid question about MapMyWalk. How does it work for picking a route? It seems to me that I have to go walk a route with my phone, go home, upload the route info, and create the route. Is that right? Yes, I sort of thought MMW would have pre-planned routes to follow.

I dont know of MMW since I've never used it. Endomondo does find nearby routes so I totally recommend it!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I use MapMyWalk for my walks.

I just press Start Workout and walk wherever I want to go and it maps my walk.

No idea about routes, sorry.

As for wi-fi, you should be able to set your phone to turn "Ask to Join" wi-fi off, so you don't get messages about nearby wi-fi if they're not free.