Macro Quest

Options
Hi! I'm trying mfp again and am very confused on my setting up for my macros. I hav hypothyroidism/hashimotos. I'm finding losing weight is difficult. I do hav high cholesterol. I noticed u can change that macro too. Basically, I think I should concentrate on %carb %protein %fat. I kno I hav to make it too 100%. I assume low carb is good. Prob low fat too. I guessed on calorie intake a day could be 1300. Any suggestions would b great. I don't kno what my macros should say. Thank You! Missy

Replies

• cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It should already be set... I would leave it there and see how that works and then if/when you hit a plateau and you are more self educated you can change it....asking for advice here will just confuse you as many different things work for many different people. The most important thing is to measure and log all your food and make notes on how you felt each day (for instance I ate a whole bag of butterfinger bites, they were in my calorie budget, but the next day I felt like crap.)

I personally try to eat whole foods without additives, high protein, low carb, low fat, low sugar and lots of water with moderate and consistent exercise.

Good luck... keep it simple Calories in should be less than calories out (expended (CICO)
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you do low fat and low carb you are only eating chicken and white fish. May I recommend a moderated level of all three with low sugar and good fats? What are some of your favorite foods? Maybe we can suggest alternatives or a lifestyle that you can stick to. There are so many different ways of eating and how effective it is varies from person to person.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If you're going to go with 1300 calories there isn't a lot of wiggle room if you want to get optimal nutrition.

I would set the goals at the default. Concentrate on hitting your Protein and Fat goals first every day. That will naturally help you keep carbs on the low end. My calories are set at 1330 and that gives me 166g Carbs 44g Fat 67g Protein. I tend to go over on fats and under on carbs naturally, that's what keeps me satisfied personally. I strive to hit those protein and fat goals every day.

The default settings will work just fine. Keep it Simple.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    missy2492 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm trying mfp again and am very confused on my setting up for my macros. I hav hypothyroidism/hashimotos. I'm finding losing weight is difficult. I do hav high cholesterol. I noticed u can change that macro too. Basically, I think I should concentrate on %carb %protein %fat. I kno I hav to make it too 100%. I assume low carb is good. Prob low fat too. I guessed on calorie intake a day could be 1300. Any suggestions would b great. I don't kno what my macros should say. Thank You! Missy

Use mfp to give you a calorie goal based on your stats - don't guess.

Use mfp macros, treating fat and protein as minimums.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,731 Member
    Options
    missy2492 wrote: »

Use mfp to give you a calorie goal based on your stats - don't guess.

Use mfp macros, treating fat and protein as minimums.

^^^^ Good advice. I'm hypothyroid, and lost 63 pounds basically that way, in 10-11 months. The weight loss took my cholesterol/triglycerides from quite high to solidly normal.

Get enough protein, get enough fat, let carbs fall where they may while you meet your calorie goal. If that doesn't seem to be working for you - and I'll bet it will - only then do you need to think about adjusting in some way.