Blender question

Options
I find using mine frustrating. Whatever it is I'm trying to blend always seems to stick to the sides or find its way to the very bottom. It's like it KNOWS where the blades are and makes a deliberate attempt to avoid them. XD

Any tips or tricks?

Replies

• PinkSuede
    PinkSuede Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    What kind of blender are you using?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Hamilton Beach. Not sure about the model number. If I'm mixing liquids, there's no problem. I have difficulty when I use pieces of fruit, or nuts, or ice, or ... you know, anything that's in pieces.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Try a ninja. The blades go up around a middle shaft, different from a traditional blender.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have a ninja. Love it. It blends everything.
  • mapetry
    mapetry Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know they are expensive and it took me like 5 years to finally splurge and buy the vitamix. I got the base model ( they all have the same motor - just fancier settings on more expensive models). On sale at Costco. And I LOVE it. Wish I had bought years ago. We make smoothies and protein shakes everyday and it powers through a blender full of frozen fruit no problem. It is an investment but well worth it if you make a lot of shakes with frozen stuff.
  • KRuss70
    KRuss70 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love the Vitamix also. Blends anything well.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    What's sticking to the sides?

FWIW, I was having problems w/my protein powder sticking to the sides of my blender.

Soultion: Put everything else including the liquids in first and blend til smooth. Then, w/the blender still running, slowly add the powder trying to keep put in the vortex so that it doesn't hit the sides 1st.

Problem solved. Should work w/other powdered products as well.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a ninja I only use for smoothies though, absolutely love it. Best $110 I've spent in a while.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    I'm hoping to try this recipe and I'm worried about getting the chickpeas blended in smoothly and not having chunks. So put the yogurt, olive oil, and lemon juice in first?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to try this recipe and I'm worried about getting the chickpeas blended in smoothly and not having chunks. So put the yogurt, olive oil, and lemon juice in first?

I'd use a food processor (not a blender) for a hummus recipe. Just throw everything all together. Pulse to get the consistency you want and use a spatula as need to get the unprocessed bits off the side of the container down into the blades.

• clicketykeys
    Options
    Actually, I've been busy enough that I just added it to my husband's honey-do list for tonight while I head to play practice. Soooo ... I'll let everyone know how it turns out ;D
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I'd use a food processor (not a blender) for a hummus recipe. Just throw everything all together. Pulse to get the consistency you want and use a spatula as need to get the unprocessed bits off the side of the container down into the blades.

Have you tried a hand blender?
    http://slimages.macys.com/is/image/MCY/products/3/optimized/1514991_fpx.tif?hei=434&$filterlrg$&op_sharpen=1

I make hummus with it, blend cream soups right in the sauce pan, make smoothies and blend frozen fruit into yogurt right in the container from which I'll eat/drink it. Use the thing every day.
  • clicketykeys
    Options
    Got a Ninja Master Prep Pro at Target this past weekend. So far it has been AWESOME! Blackberry slushie a few days ago, then last night I remembered that chunky hummus glop I had sitting in the fridge. Put it through the Ninja and it's smooth as silk. Taking it to school today for my snack! :smiley:
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Yep Ninja is where its at!