Problem with sweets... :(

Options
I have always had random cravings for sweets/chocolate and Ive always had trouble to control it.. thats also the only reason i gain weight, i dont eat any other unhealthy food only sweets... for about a month i was able to control it and not eat at all for days but lately I am so stressed.. Im thinking about my exams in uni, if i'll be able to graduate on time etc... and chocolate relaxes me.
Does anyone has any tips on how to stop/ control these random cravings? Or any advice in general? Id really appreciate it!
Thank you!

Replies

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Protein shakes are what I have for my sweet tooth. I have Banana, Vanilla, Strawberry, and Chocolate atm. You could also sparingly use gum to curb a sweet tooth, and there are some pretty decent Greek yogurts out there that might hit the spot too.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    ^ I always include sweets! Mainly dark chocolate. Dark chocolate is sweet and curbs your sweet tooth. My favorites are dove dark chocolate with almonds. I get the pack with individual chocolates.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Slowly increase the darkness of your chocolate until you find your "sweet spot". For me, that's 70% (though 80% will do in a pinch). Sweet enough to satisfy the craving but not so sweet that I just want more and more. Also, darker is chocolatey-er. :smiley:
  • kally_wph
    kally_wph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! It's a bad "addiction" I have and I really want to control it so i can become healthier! I appreciate all of your advice:)
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Good apples help me. Sweet and lots of fiber to fill me up.
  • TheArtist070
    TheArtist070 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been eating a lot of chocolate cake, but I buy it in single servings - way too many calories and I hope by the time I muster up the determination to stick with a proper meal plan I can look back and remind myself I can have all the cake I want but I can choose not to. I struggle with both craving and control. I find if I eat fruit the sugary foods like cake and candy start to taste too sweet and I don't think so much about them. Sometimes I look at all the pretty desserts in the store - I say oh, how pretty! as if they are mini sculptures made of plastic and move on. Maybe I'll start taking photos of them!

i
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Allowing a planned portion of sweets every day keeps off the urge to binge. I found that when I cut out foods I really enjoy I tended to crave them more and would end up overindulging more. I really love the 85% dark chocolate Mosser Roth bars from Aldi. Each package comes with 5 bars and 1 bar is only 142 calories and I fond slowly enjoying one piece is enough to satisfy.

Also like Theartist070 I often buy things in single servings so I can only eat the one piece. One slice of really yummy cake or other baked sweet from a local bakery is a nice treat. Don't keep things you can't moderate in the house in larger amounts. For instance I can keep a bag of Twizzlers and be content with the 4 piece serving but cannot keep a bag of Lindor Truffles around because I can't stop at three.
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Slowly increase the darkness of your chocolate until you find your "sweet spot". For me, that's 70% (though 80% will do in a pinch). Sweet enough to satisfy the craving but not so sweet that I just want more and more. Also, darker is chocolatey-er. :smiley:

I agree! A gradual move from the sweeter milk chocolates to dark chocolates was the way to go for me as well. Turned out it wasn't the chocolate that I craved, but the sugar.

I used to wolf down an entire 12 ounce bag of "fun-size" Snickers bars at one sitting if I was feeling stressed, but there's no way that I can eat an entire 1.5 oz bar of my new favorite, Trader Joe's 85% cacao. Two or three small pieces do the trick.

• cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What works for me is when I meet my protein macros. That seems to decrease the cravings. Other than that find sweets that fit into your goals and don't keep any trigger sweets around that may cause you problems.
  • kally_wph
    kally_wph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Guys you have been all so helpful! Thank u so much, really :) im gonna start using your advice from tomorrow! Also i think a big factor is that i am so stressed lately, and chocolate helps me with my stress levels! So im just gonna try also to be more organised and hopefully that will help me control these cravings as well!
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eat Cinnamon everyday, add it to your food, protein shake, etc, don't over do it though, 5g should be enough or just a dash everyday.
    Read more here:
    http://cinnamonvogue.com/blog/6-reasons-why-cinnamon-can-kill-your-sugar-cravings/

Also high protein diet, leafy green salads can help with the cravings.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Do you log your food? If it doesn't fit in your day, don't eat it. Pre-log. Or you could eat all sweets and stay in a deficit but that wouldn't be very healthy.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    As long as you work it into your daily calorie counts, sweets are fine. I usually have something sweet after work [usually a sugary juice or soda] since my blood sugars are usually in the hypoglycemic range around that time [new job + shot adjustments are a lot of fun].
  • Leesespieces412
    Leesespieces412 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is my problem too!! I yoyo back and forth through the years because of it. Ice cream is my weakness and I found two brands that are actually delicious and only around 300-400 calories per pint. They are Halo Top and Enlightened. Even my husband who isn't a sweets guy thinks they're good!
  • glacierlilly
    glacierlilly Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Someone else was talking about the Halo ice cream. I've never seen it before. Is it in the states? I really appreciate this post, thanks for the topic kally_wph. Next I'm going to read the cinnamon article. Sounds interesting. I have a horrible sweet tooth and when I remove sweets completely I binge, :(
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    i love sweets so much so i always prelog in some sweets everyday

usually chocolate brownie larabars or some other kind of chocolate

oh also dried mango is like candy so i always have a serving or two of that
  • ybakhtiar95
    ybakhtiar95 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    what do to about the cravings..?????
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    If I can manage, I make sure not to have sweets around. That forces me to get past the craving, and eventually the cravings go away. If I must have sweets, I make sure to include healthy fats and fiber with them, such as fruit and nuts. At least, on days that I don't have massive failures in judgement...

To satisfy the chocolate tooth, I drink "brewing cocoa" which is made of ground and roasted cacao beans that are brewed like coffee. No sweeteners, thickeners, calories, etc. that you'd find in chocolate drinks. I brew an 8 oz cup and add 2 oz of dairy milk (although almond, soy, or coconut milk would work, too). It is delicious and satisfying and the only calories/sugar come from the little bit of milk added.

Here is whom I buy it from (I am gonna plug her business because she is a small-batch brewer, a lovely person, and I want to support her): https://choklatude.com/collections/vendors?q=choklatude
  • leslee2013
    leslee2013 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through the posts very well so I apologize if this is a repeat. I have made energy bites in the past and found them to be very sweet and satisfying. This site has a variety http://www.eatthis.com/these-energy-bites-make-a-perfect-healthy-snack
    I made a kind with honey, peanut butter, oats, chai seeds, hemp hearts, and I used cocoa nibs instead of mini choc chips (because I had them and could) and this is by memory so I may be missing ingredients but you the idea... it is a simple way to satisfy sweet and add in healthy