What to do use for tendonitis?

Options
I was wondering is it best to use a ice or heat pad to heal tendonitis, i heard using a heat pad and when resting will promote blood to tv tendons and after training use ice.
I have been icing my tendon whilst sitting at home should I change to using heat pad.

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I use Advil and ice. Just bought a ice/heat pack from CVS called "peas" which I've been using instead of real frozen peas. Love it. Haven't tried heat, but hope to also hear what works for others and give it a shot.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I use Advil and ice. Just bought a ice/heat pack from CVS called "peas" which I've been using instead of real frozen peas. Love it. Haven't tried heat, but hope to also hear what works for others and give it a shot.

I have been icing, people I heard were saying that heat should be used when resting and ice should be used after training.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    i heard using a heat pad and when resting will promote blood to tv tendons and after training use ice.

I agree with this. Warmth & movement promote circulation & repair. :+1:
  • KimberleyWilson2
    KimberleyWilson2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm a massage therapist, what I recommend for my clients is ice for injuries and inflammation, heat for tight muscles. If you use heat for tendonitis it'll make the inflammation worse. Tumeric milk is something you can drink to help with it. Deep blue, Biofreeze, and winter green essential oil are all things you can put on it typically. The only way it'll heal is with rest but not total isolation. Use it when you need it but no more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm a massage therapist, what I recommend for my clients is ice for injuries and inflammation, heat for tight muscles. If you use heat for tendonitis it'll make the inflammation worse. Tumeric milk is something you can drink to help with it. Deep blue, Biofreeze, and winter green essential oil are all things you can put on it typically. The only way it'll heal is with rest but not total isolation. Use it when you need it but no more.

Why would you think turmeric milk would help? As a flavouring find but the dosage of curcumin that has been shown in limited trials to help prevent (not treat) inflammation is far higher than could possibly be put in milk through turmeric

Essential oils ...where's the proof of effectiveness?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I use alternating heat and cold. Be very careful with stretching if the injury is new. It actually made mine worse. I wish I waited and only stretched after it healed to loosen up the tightness.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    For me, using heat in the morning when I would wake up stiff worked really well. I would ice after training and at the end of the day before going to bed. If you do not have a brace, I would recommend getting one. Wear it when you train and off and on during the day. If you are hurting really bad in the morning, wear your brace at night. Modify your training to avoid aggravating your tendonitis.
  • Roxinred
    Roxinred Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Which Tendon? Where?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Graston work. Hurts like a mother *kitten* but it works.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had it a lot for several years. My fix was collagen pills. It was fixed in just a few days. I have taken every since.