I don't understand about the numbers on the fat and protein

Options
First time EVER on a diet, so completely brand new to this, but super pumped to use this software. I love this software, it really helps me understand how to lose weight.

Here is my question,
At the end of the day when the software totals everything up I am within the recommended calories, but it says
-27 g Fat
-26 g Protein

So is this okay? What exactly does that mean? Am I still going to lose weight?
Thank you in advance.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    This means basically that you consumed your calories mainly through carbs and that your protein and fat goals are under for the day.. You are under your fats by 27 grams and under your protein by 26 grams.

In my opinion, it is always a wise choice to balance your diet with the MFP recommendations when trying to loose weight. You need protein and fats in your diet. These are very important to help provide you with right nutritional benefits to keep you strong and healthy during weight loss.

What do you normally eat that is considered your protein source during the day? How do you get fats in your diet each day? I would start there with what may be lacking in your diet if you want to meet these goals each day.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    What she said above.

It is not 100% necessary to track your macros (fat/protein/carbs) but if you want to do so a good site to look at is the TDEE calculator https://tdeecalculator.net/ it gives you different options for maintenance, weight loss or bulking and different macros breakdowns to choose from.

Nice guide to start with if you want to track macros.

Most people start off just tracking calories rather than the macros.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you stick to your calorie deficit. I was a big carb lover, still am. But I have noticed if I focus on my protien intake I stay fuller longer and less likely to binge. But you will learn as you go.
  • Roxinred
    Roxinred Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Let me write out exactly what it says
    Carbs
    Total 72
    Goal 176
    Remaining 104

Fat
    Total 74
    Goal 47
    Remaining -27

Protein
    Total 96
    Goal 70
    Remaining -26

So now with this fuller information am I following an appropriate diet to lose weight? My fats are coming from my olive oil and I can't give that up. I am weighing my food, I have a state inspected certified scale, accurate within 2 grams.

I am almost exactly on the exact money on the calories like 10/15 calories below.

Following this diet I am on it says I should lose 5lbs in 5 weeks. That seems pretty good to me.
  • Roxinred
    Options
    Oh crap I just forgot, I ate a piece of bread with butter with my fried eggs today and I didn't write it down. I guess that means I went over a little bit. Thankfully I hardly used any butter, not even a tab.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Roxinred wrote: »
    Let me write out exactly what it says
    Carbs
    Total 72
    Goal 176
    Remaining 104

Fat
    Total 74
    Goal 47
    Remaining -27

Protein
    Total 96
    Goal 70
    Remaining -26

So now with this fuller information am I following an appropriate diet to lose weight? My fats are coming from my olive oil and I can't give that up. I am weighing my food, I have a state inspected certified scale, accurate within 2 grams.

I am almost exactly on the exact money on the calories like 10/15 calories below.

Following this diet I am on it says I should lose 5lbs in 5 weeks. That seems pretty good to me.

In that case, you ate more protein and fat than MFP recommended, and fewer carbs. IMO, that's not really a problem. The calories determine your weight loss. Of course, within those calories, getting enough protein and fat is important for nutrition and health (it's also important to get micronutrients - vitamins & minerals & such, and fiber).

Some people think MFP's default protein recommendations are on the low side in some cases, so that may be something you'd like to learn about and decide for yourself. Your current day's amount would exceed the minimum to avoid malnutrition by quite a bit if you're a typical-height woman. But it can be good to get more when we're losing weight, when working out regularly, and as we age.

I'm 60 y/o, and while I was losing weight I strove to get 0.6g (minimum) to 0.8g protein per pound of a healthy goal body weight. Some would argue that 1g per pound would be even better. For fat, I tried to get .35g minimum per pound, as much as possible from healthy sources like nuts, olive oil, avocado, etc. For most people, carbs can just fall where they end up.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yep my post should before should now be in reverse. You ate more proteins and fats..and under carb goals not a bad thing.. You are over protein by 104 calories, fats are over by 240 calories and your carbs are under 416 calories..

I actually predict that your protein goal should probably be around this amount actually. When losing weight one does need ample protein in order to use that for muscle sparing.

Not to go into any further long details, have you read any of the stickies at the beginning of the forums? maybe these links can help you in the future, and of course the community support is great.

http://fit101.org/the-step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal/

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • Roxinred
    Options
    Thanks AnnP77
    I"n that case, you ate more protein and fat than MFP recommended, and fewer carbs. IMO, that's not really a problem. The calories determine your weight loss".

This is exactly what I needed to know. I think I'll do okay, I put down lose half a pound a week and that I was sedentary which I am sedentary. Yesterday I walked 15 minutes at a slow pace, but today I realized I had to do more, so today I walked twice 15 minutes at a moderate pace.

I've had a hip replaced and I really can't put much weight on that hip, and my other hip is going on me. Running is out, not that I would do that anyway. I need to find one or two exercises that I think are going to be safe for my hip. If I carry a really heavy bag of groceries it hurts my hip. I am hoping if I lose 30lbs over the course of a year or maybe a bit longer, that will help my hip, I know it won't hurt that is for sure.

I'll probably gradually work my way up to walking longer, I am pretty good with follow through, this is my very first diet but I think I will follow through. This software helps tremendously.