End of personal training

Options
magicpickles
magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Due to financial reasons, I might have to stop seeing my personal trainer. I was meeting him to help my meet specific goals so I could look a certain way.

I still have a lot of weight to lose. What should I do instead? I came up with these ideas:

1. buy some basic stuff like some dumbbells, tires, a step, a yoga ball and a skipping rope and use the internet to make up my own work-outs
2. train as a personal trainer
3. join some sports teams
4. do some of the workouts from bodybuilding.com
5. join a cheap gym, take some classes
6. try some of the videos from youtube
7. Do Kayla Istines thing
8. start using protein powder again
9. get a job at the gym, workout for free

Losing weight is one thing, but making my body look a certain way is another. I feel like a lot of these things will be great for losing weight, but not building my muscles in a specific way. How did you make your body look a certain way without spending too much money.

Training is about $350 a week, so any of these options would be cheaper.

*Its $120 a week, my maths sucks.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Jimminy, that's crazy expensive!!
  • magicpickles
    Options

I have 4 1/2 hour sessions a week for $30 a session. Wait, I think I got my maths wrong.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    $350 a week??? GODDAMN!!
  • DavPul
    Options
    Join a gym and do stronglifts
  • magicpickles
    Options
    u0n2xsyixyhh.jpg

I wanted to look something like this. Of course, with so much weight to lose, I'm unsure of whether I'll have loose skin.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Where is strong lifts available?
  • magicpickles
    Options
    Should I lose the weight first, than do the plan, or start the plan now?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I meet my trainer 1x per week for 1 hour ($65). The remaining days, I try to implement what he taught me during our previous session and report back. I also mix in various classes depending on my schedule and interest that week (bootcamps, indoor cycle, boxing, etc.). Try to use the expensive resource more efficiently - that way you don't have to give it up.

Best of luck with your fitness goals.
    -s
  • magicpickles
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    I meet my trainer 1x per week for 1 hour ($65). The remaining days, I try to implement what he taught me during our previous session and report back. I also mix in various classes depending on my schedule and interest that week (bootcamps, indoor cycle, boxing, etc.). Try to use the expensive resource more efficiently - that way you don't have to give it up.

Best of luck with your fitness goals.
    -s

I was thinking I could cut back to 1 session a week.
  • magicpickles
    edited September 2016
    Options
    fdap4scz23n2.jpg

Me currently. This is after a year and a half of personal training. I have lost 17kg, although I get gaining and losing the same 3kg. I lost about 7kg by myself, and the rest with various trainers.
  • DavPul
    Options

Under your Google button
  • DavPul
    Options
    You can do this on your own with a pretty simple program, basic gym access, and reasonable calorie deficit that you can calculate on MFP
  • Sloth2016
    Options
    Wow, you look beautiful! :)

Keep up the good work - and remember, you can shape up on your own time too. Trainers are great for the knowledge they can give us - couldn't have dropped 90lbs and become athletic without mine - but we don't always need one to be there when we go to the gym, jogging trail, pool or what have you to have some fun and burn off some calories.

Also, what we take in helps a great deal - sticking to a reasonable calorie goal can provide steady consistent fat loss while exercise improves strength and cardiovascular health.

Best wishes in meeting your goals!
    -s
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Does your trainer offer partner training sessions? It can be less expensive and motivational. He might even be able to pair you up with someone. If your trainer knows how to do this, you don't have to be at the same ability level. Each person uses the appropriate weight or does the exercise variation appropriate to their fitness level. This has worked out really well for me, and I get the same training benefit as solo training.
  • magicpickles
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Does your trainer offer partner training sessions? It can be less expensive and motivational. He might even be able to pair you up with someone. If your trainer knows how to do this, you don't have to be at the same ability level. Each person uses the appropriate weight or does the exercise variation appropriate to their fitness level. This has worked out really well for me, and I get the same training benefit as solo training.

I talked to him just now, and he said I can pay for half an hour and get an hour if I go with a friend.
  • Sloth2016
    edited September 2016
    Options

I've done this one too. It's lots of fun. Here is a good website (http://stronglifts.com) with some tools to set up a schedule (the "bros" call it a "program") of what how much to lift and when. You can watch his videos to get the "how-to" aspects and maybe ask your trainer if you have some questions about the finer points...

Enjoy!
  • SouthernPeach1
    SouthernPeach1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Until you have to stop seeing him, ask him to give you a written list of the exercises he has you do each session. Save these, and if you are no longer using his services, use these lists to work out on your own. Depending on the types of exercises he has you doing, though, you may need to join a gym to access the equipment.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

I have 4 1/2 hour sessions a week for $30 a session. Wait, I think I got my maths wrong.

Could you afford to see your trainer once a week and go on your own the other 3 times and replicate your training?

Or once every two weeks or once a month or every 2 months. Sounds like you're buying in his/her willpower and if it's difficult to afford you don't have that option really.

Your list in your OP sounds odd to me and you have, IMO, the following options

Not even on the list cos it's the first and most important thing: eat to a calorie defecit

1) Find a gym you can afford that has the equipment you need
    2) Buy the equipment your need
    3) Turn to free resources, bodyweight programmes, fitnessblender etc
    4) do any of the free progressive strength training programmes (strong curves, well you have to buy the book, stronglifts5x5, starting strength
This discussion has been closed.