Where do you guys get the push?

Options
I can't find that push I need to exercise...it's this vicious cycle of "I know what I have to do, but I dont want to do it" and then I regret not doing it, get down on myself, and don't do it anyway. It's so irritating and I can't snap out of it.

I've been eating really well but I want to get some exercise in the mix, too.

All advice & support buddies are welcome.

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    can you get someone to go with you? That's how I started - with a friend. Then I got a trainer who gave me a plan and I went and did the plan. Now I just do it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I made it a habit. I picked a program, found something I loved, and after 4 weeks it hurt more NOT to workout. In two years I've only missed a handful of workouts. I know what I'm going to do every time I walk in the gym-down to the weight I'm going to lift, how many reps and sets and WHY I'm doing that. I also set goals...whether it's a strength goal with a powerlifting meet, or a physique goal with some bodybuilding routines.
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    For me my motivation came looking in the mirror. We had a treadmill and since moving we have actually had a place to set it up. So now I get up at 4:30am and do an hour on treadmill/free weights before work. I'm more of a morning person and would rather get the exercise out the way!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Pow377 wrote: »
    For me my motivation came looking in the mirror. We had a treadmill and since moving we have actually had a place to set it up. So now I get up at 4:30am and do an hour on treadmill/free weights before work. I'm more of a morning person and would rather get the exercise out the way!

Props. I can't imagine working out that early. You know you gotta get it done though!
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Props. I can't imagine working out that early. You know you gotta get it done though!

It's easy once it becomes routine. I struggled so bad the first couple of days. Also breaks the monotony of wake up, work, home, sleep,
    Makes me feel like I'm doing more with my day than working and I get to enjoy the evenings with my partner :-)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Do things you like doing.

I like going for a walk at lunch. It gives me a chance to get out of the office, get some fresh air, move around, see something different than my cubical walls. I look forward to my lunchtime walks.

I also like cycling. Getting out into the countryside ... the feeling of freedom.

And I like trying other things ... hiking, canoeing, kayaking, swimming ...

Those things are fun! I feel like a kid again when I'm out there just having fun. :)
  • arditarose
    Options
    Pow377 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

It's easy once it becomes routine. I struggled so bad the first couple of days. Also breaks the monotony of wake up, work, home, sleep,
    Makes me feel like I'm doing more with my day than working and I get to enjoy the evenings with my partner :-)

Oh yeah. I'm single so I just spend hours at the gym at night so I don't spend time eating/thinking about that. lol...

I have to get up at 5 for work though so even if I wanted to I'm not gonna workout at 3 am haha
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Start by finding 2 physical activities per week that you enjoy and schedule them on your calendar. Treat this schedule with the same respect as your work schedule. Once it becomes a habit, increase the intensity if you wish.

The best workout is the one you will actually do.
  • S2tupidAss
    S2tupidAss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I find it quite amusing to cheat the brain and tell it of all the additional benefits. More of GAINS, if I think next time am swimming this is how I would like to look like. Perhaps, sometimes thinking of how I'd feel having a full week of working out. The additional benefits are incomparable. It kinda gives you the drive, and with a mat or easy gym access HIIT may be a good option.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I just treat it like a job. I don't always want to work even though I love my job, but I do it anyway because I need to. All it takes is getting over the 5 seconds of that internal "I don't want to" dialogue. If you find an activity you enjoy and get over that initial laziness, even if you have to force yourself through it, you are good to go. More often than not, if you have found something you enjoy, what sounded like a chore in those 5 seconds will be magically transform into something really pleasant once you are into the activity.

The trick is not to allow yourself to contemplate it for more than 5 seconds. The longer you wait the more time you get to convince yourself against it.

It usually goes something like this for me:
    - I don't feel like it.
    - Not an option.
    - But I just want to check my email first.
    - Nop. Can be done later.
    - But I'm tired.
    - Rest will feel so much better after my workout session.

I get off right away and start putting on my workout clothes and off I go. No further internal dialogue allowed. In almost all cases I'm usually so glad I forced myself off my butt because I really do enjoy my choice of activity and I enjoy the way I feel after it even more.
  • satisatisati
    satisatisati Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I get my push from following various fitness models on Instagram
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I started exercising by doing short DVDs - Jillian Michaels' workouts. I had the time and they were like 25-30 minutes long. I had ZERO excuses. So, I begrudgingly did those and built up a habit.

That was 5 years ago - Now I couldn't imagine not working out.

Things that help when I don't feel like exercising: I legit just sort of go 'robot' - stop thinking or feeling about it. I remove my emotions-thoughts from it. Automatically put on the exercise clothes. Just start the warm up. I also remind myself that I can stop at any time, e.g. 'Just do the warm up and you can stop after if you really don't want to!' (that's never happened). I still do some guided workouts (e.g. FitnessBlender on YouTube) when I am feeling unmotivated as they take the guess work out of it and I don't have to design the workout that day. E.g. I don't have to think about how many miles to run or what sets/reps to do. It's all figured out for me.

Also, I remember what it is like when I feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in my skin. Not doing anything will lead to no changes. Doing something is better than nothing.

Good luck x
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    Options
    I felt the same... still do at times... and the initial pain from working out was terrible like I'm not talking sore.. I mean I couldn't roll over in bed without my muscles screaming bloody murder at me. I still get sore but no where near as sore as I was in the beginning. My advice would be to take baby steps. And don't think to much about it. Start by getting dressed in your work out outfit. Get your shoes on and once you've done that your minds already committed to going.
  • julito888
    julito888 Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I believe is about setting a realistic goal and focus your mind on achieving it by a certain amount of time. Eating healthy can be difficult at first but the body learns to adapt its all about training the mind first.
    Good luck you can do it!
  • shmeega
    shmeega Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your support and ideas. I love the idea of treating it like a job, just have to get there. Gonna start today off with some yoga flow, so hey, I'm already inspired. Thanks, lovely people. Keep the thoughts and positivity coming.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love watching those fitness girls vlogging on YouTube, it gets me so motivated! Like Heidi Somers, or Amanda Bucci. I think watching different workout videos on YouTube helps a lot at first. I think you have to figure out a goal and then, the WHY. If you don't know why you're doing it, you won't be motivated. And then, just give yourself a chance to like it! The first times will suck, but just push through. Once you figure out how to break out of your own limitation, it will become so rewarding and addictive. You know when you think you're done? That's when the changes start happening. So don't be afraid and find your limit, then push past it. A little more every time! You can do this!! :) Good luck oxox
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I made myself do it. I laid out my exercise clothes every night before bed. I woke up every morning whining "I don't want to go". I went anyway. Sometime about the third week I stopped whining. I love working out now. Endorphin highs are no joke.