Running question

Options
So I can walk from now until doomsday, loose and limber. But when I run, after 30 seconds or so, all the muscles in my body tighten up until I feel like I'm trying to run thru sludge. What causes this, and how do I make it go away. I've done a 5k before, powering and suffering thru it, it didn't stop during the entire run. I did the couch to 5k to train for it. Please help if you can.

Replies

• NewSouthernBelle
    NewSouthernBelle Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Depending on which muscles are giving you trouble, you may want to consider modifying your running style. I struggled with my back and lower leg muscles until I adapted to "pose running" (landing mid-foot instead of heel). It worked wonders for me and I can now run much longer distances. Try searching for pose running on youtube.

If your running style is not the issue, then I suggest starting with a different type of workout, which could help you start building up the strength to start the running.
  • andersonb79
    andersonb79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I recently started running again. I'm 36, 6'6'' and about 220lbs. I gave up on running in my mid 20s because, even though I loved it, it always made my knees hurt. I never knew anything about using proper technique (I was a total heel striker), and I always kind of thought that running was a masochistic exercise. What got me back into it was that I read about proper running technique - mid-foot striking, which causes your muscles to absorb the impact instead of your joints. And I read a few books that really informed and inspired me to make running a permanent part of my life - Born to Run, Eat and Run, The Inner Runner.

I'm working my way through a book called The Running Revolution (Pose Technique), and doing the couch to 5k routine to train for a 5k in October.

It's funny, but what got me back into running wasn't actually the exercise aspect of it. Over the past year I've been getting more into mindfulness and I read how (distance) running is a great way to meditate, and that running correctly (meaning you are constantly paying attention to your form and breathing) is one of the most effective ways to let go of the stress and anxiety of life and just be present in the moment.

If your body is giving you some difficult feedback, just try to accept it and surrender to it. If you stick with it long enough you will probably understand it eventually. When your muscles tighten up try visualize yourself gliding along effortlessly instead. It might help you relax.

I truly hope you are able to release whatever is causing your tension, so that you can run like a kid again :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    definitely sounds like you are pushing your muscles in ways they don't want to - try running slower, and with shorter steps - keep your steps below your body, and lean forwards so it feels like you are kicking up your heels when you run.

I clearly tense my upper body when I run, as I did 8 1/2 miles yesterday (my longest ever) and my arms and shoulders are aching like I did 100 push-ups.