When you travel for work...

Options
Hello everyone!

I travel a lot for work and find it hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle while one the road. Sometimes I am gone for days without access to a kitchen or a gym. Does anyone have tips for calorie-wise fast food or restaurant meals (even grab-and-go items from a grocery store)? Maybe even some exercise tips to keep moving while I'm away?

EDIT: Work provides a meal allowance of $9 for breakfast, $12 for lunch, and $24 for dinner (Canadian). I typically drive 6+ hours and work in some pretty remote locations. Sometimes, I prefer to not workout outside if I don't know the area or if it is really remote.

Thanks!

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I have similar challenges in that I travel a fair bit to our different offices (5+ days per month) and also have a lot of businesses lunches (1-2 per week).

I try to have a similar breakfast to what I would at home. Luckily most hotels have an ample selection of fresh fruit and usually scrambled eggs even if some countries are a bit too heavy on the pastries for me. If you need to buy your breakfast out I would swing by a grocery store. Sometimes I buy the little pots of oats and just add water from the kettle (if there's one in the room). Just check the sugar content!

For lunch I'll usually manage to grab a sandwich or a wrap, often from someplace with a nutrition label if not I just use my judgment to pick something with lean protein, no cheese and separate dressing. A grocery store is good for this or someplace like Freshii or even Starbucks.

Dinner tends to be in a restaurant and more often than not with a few colleagues. The regular principles apply:
    - Order only 1 course
    - Drink water (I've never been a big drinker so nobody remarks this)
    - Look for a dish that includes vegetables (not necessarily low kcal, but I do this to ensure I stay on top of my grens)
    - Look at the portion you receive and estimate how it compares to a serving you would cook at home. Try to eat only that amount.
    - Stay clear of things with added cheese, browned butter, deep-fried things (I make it a rule to not order fries when with work, seriously cuts down on the times I can have them!) or cream-based sauces.
  • Saaski
    Saaski Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Exercise-wise, if your hotel doesn't have a gym, bodyweight workouts are your friend. Take a walk outside (or in the halls of your hotel if you don't feel safe outside). Do push-ups, squats, plank, jumping jacks, stretch, etc in your room. Run in place while watching television. There's lots of stuff you can do!

As for meals, if you have a car, your best option is a grocery store+your hotel mini fridge. Buy salad ingredients, canned beans (bring a can opener with you), fruit, and so on. And just make good choices when eating out. Obviously you want to avoid fried foods and the like, but most restaurants have nutrition guides on their websites now, especially big chains--so you can check that. I always try to check and chose my meal AHEAD of time, which helps me avoid temptation and gives me more accuracy when I log stuff. Avoid "treat" meals; this is a routine for you, and should be treated like one. It's harder than being able to homecook, but it is possible!

For reference, I spent three years working as part of a traveling children's assembly program and could spend up to a week at a time in hotels.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you are always traveling by car, consider bringing along a Kettlebell and create a routine you can do in your hotel room for 30-45 minutes. Would double a security device :D. As for meals, look for grilled chicken and vegetables on the menu or pick up pre-packaged salads, apples, hard boiled eggs, etc.
  • BxRaymond
    BxRaymond Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Saaski wrote: »
    Avoid "treat" meals; this is a routine for you, and should be treated like one.

I love that statement! It's funny how I thought I knew that but reading it just drives home that I really didn't! I would often let myself little "treats" that definitely set me back!

Thanks for the tips ladies!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I also like to go to Whole Foods and get lunch or dinner from the prepared food bar, lots of healthy choices. Already prepared so no prep required. I will also occasionally get Chipotle (I use the menu builder online to build a menu that meets how many calories I have left), or takeout sushi. For breakfast I will get coffee and a fruit cup or scrambled eggs.

My pitfall is dinner meetings or drinks with coworkers, when we do that I try to order a Malibu and diet, or light beer so I can keep the calories in check.

For work we tend to stay at Courtyard or full-service Marriott properties. While they don't have a full gym they do have treadmills. Another option is to walk the hotel halls (mentioned above). I also have the Yoga Studio app and will do some yoga in the room (requires little room), while it doesn't burn a lot of calories, it does keep me centered and focused.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BxRaymond wrote: »
    Does anyone have tips for calorie-wise fast food or restaurant meals (even grab-and-go items from a grocery store)? !

Well, low-calorie meals can be had anywhere (simply limit portions), but if i didn't have healthy foods readily available, i'd consider getting a 12 volt refrigerator for the car and a hotplate for the motel room. And lots of canned salmon. :)

For strength training, i'd bring a pair of adjustable dumbbells, and a good resistance band kit that's door-mountable (Black Mountain, Bodylastics, etc).

For cardio, running shoes and bear spray. :+1:
  • Eleanor_82
    Eleanor_82 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're staying at hotels with wifi then there's a load of good workouts on YouTube too!
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you are driving to your work location, then it should be pretty easy to plan ahead for at least some of your meals - breakfast and lunch aren't too hard: sandwiches, cereal, fruit, yoghurt etc are easy to make as long as you have a cooler in the car on your drive out and a fridge (or ice for your cooler) once you get there. Or you can make a list and buy from the local supermarket for a full trip's worth of brekkies or lunches if work will reimburse you for this.

If you get to book your own accommodation, check online to see if there are any options who have a small kitchen - even a microwave and toaster give you options.

Eating out for dinner doesn't have to be so high in cals - grilled fish or steak or chicken is often on menus in the places I go, and you can add veggies and salad and ask for dressings, sauces etc on the side which gives you a bit more control. Getting used to eating just enough and leaving some on your plate if there's too much is a good idea too. Skip the sides or ask for mashed potato instead of chips (fries) or ask them to leave off garlic bread or similar if it all sounds like it will be too much.

If I am with colleagues who want to go to the pub, I usually have one beer or wine then stick to plain soda water with a slice of fresh lemon. It looks like a proper pub drink and I don't get asked why I'm not drinking. And my colleagues often go out for more drinks after a group dinner but they are used to me going home early now.

Exercise is tricker - if I'm not sure about the area, I will ask the hotel staff if they can suggest somewhere I can walk or run. Or if I'm not confident in the area, I will either skip it (I don't suggest this!)... but I like the idea to find online workouts or things you can do in your room. Have a look at darebee.com - lots of great free stuff there that you could print out ahead of time so you don't even need reliable internet (which can be tough to find in country parts around here).

• lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've not traveled for work but when I've taken the kid away I tend to prep salad in tuperware and have a selection of toppings (boiled eggs, mackerel and once a chopped up tandoori mixed grill I ordered the night before I left).
    I have a pretty impressive cool box and most places will give you a bucket of ice.