Any vegans?

Options
What are some of your favorite easy, healthy go to meals or snacks?

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My go to meal/snack is mashed black beans with added seasoning. Either plain, or in a tortilla (I use both flour and corn tortillas). It may not be for am everyone, I LOVE black beans lol
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Www.ohsheglows.com

Vegan recipes, everything I've tried from this website and cookbook is amazing.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas can be a godsend!
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My go-to meals include either red beans or chickpeas. Vegan Tikka Masala is super delicious. On a quick day, I would easily make red beans
    (sometimes adding vegan sausage) and brown rice. As for snacks: popcorn or raisins and nuts. :) not fully vegan yet but I love making plant-based meals.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/vegan-red-beans-rice/

This is one of my very favorite meals.
    Lately as I adjust to this logging and keeping an eye on my macros, I've been having a protein shake as a snack.

But usually, I snack on fruit. :)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan but one of my favourite snacks is cherry or plum tomatoes! I usually cut them in half and add a little salt and pepper. Satisfies a salty or sweet craving :)
  • thatboyjosh73
    thatboyjosh73 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome tips guys ...thanks ..I need these recipes
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! The red beans and rice recipe looks delicious. As for the chickpea's. Do you just add them to salads? Bake them for crunchy snacks? I just started eating vegan and have felt amazing, but I am also eating the same things over and over again. Looking to switch things up. Have bought a couple vegan cookbooks, but everything seems so extensive in time and ingredients.
  • newvegdi
    newvegdi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Watermelon! I grow basil in my garden and cut up a few leaves with kitchen shears and mix it in with my watermelon or canteplope. Mint works too.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    maxphia32 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! The red beans and rice recipe looks delicious. As for the chickpea's. Do you just add them to salads? Bake them for crunchy snacks? I just started eating vegan and have felt amazing, but I am also eating the same things over and over again. Looking to switch things up. Have bought a couple vegan cookbooks, but everything seems so extensive in time and ingredients.

My favorite vegan cookbook is called Vegan on the Cheap. It's a great book, simple recipes with readily available inexpensive foods.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    gems74 wrote: »
    Www.ohsheglows.com

Vegan recipes, everything I've tried from this website and cookbook is amazing.

I second this. There's a recipe here for a 10 spice vegetable soup that I absolutely love. And I've had a bunch of other recipes here that were also great.
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    maxphia32 wrote: »

For the chickpeas, I've made curried chickpeas and vegan tikka masala. (Pinterest has the full recipe :) ) You can also make chickpea tacos, add chickpeas to a vegan pizza, and roasted chickpeas, as you suggested sound delicious. Also, if you like hummus, you can make hummus dip and eat it with a side of carrots or celery! :D
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm super excited about aaaaaaall the vegan foods. I especially enjoy the kind of recipes that are in the cookbook called Appetite for Reduction. I usually eat pretty low fat, but around 1-2 days of the week I eat higher fat. :p I like all plant whole foods, my go-to are sweet potatoes and red rice or basmati.

Also my fruit eating habits are simply madness.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/02/vegan-red-beans-rice/

This is one of my very favorite meals.
    Lately as I adjust to this logging and keeping an eye on my macros, I've been having a protein shake as a snack.

But usually, I snack on fruit. :)

Ohmygod, that looks delicious! So delicious that I might have to pop into town for some red beans right now and chuck it in the slow cooker..

(I get the feeling it's a recipe that would love being slow cooked..)

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    My vegan friends make legumes the backbone of their diet. Here are some vegan recipes featuring beans and lentils http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/search/ ?f[0]=field_special_diet:158786&f[1]=field_recipe_main_ingredient:789

I've moved away from Indian cooking to Thai, but before that Kitchari was one of my favorite vegan rice & bean dishes. This isn't the exact recipe I used, but it's close: https://kripalu.org/resources/kripalu-recipe-nourishing-kitchari
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently 100% vegan (I was for a while, right now I'm like 99% plant-based technically-ovo-veg) but one of my favourite places for easy, cheap, delicious vegan recipes is Jack Monroe's Cooking on a Bootstrap vegan section. I always have a stack of their carrot, cumin and kidney bean burgers in my freezer- I make double the amount, divide it into 12 and they're delicious and really handy. There's loads more stuff- the dahl there is one of my staples too (though I mix a couple of their recipes together!) and oh so many delicious soups and breads that are so easy even I don't mess them up :)
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for these suggestions. They all sound great!