Crunchy Snacks.

Options
Hi there. So I eat by texture a lot. The texture of a food sometimes tells me whether or not I am going to enjoy the food. Lately, I've been noticing that the majority of my "crunchy" foods are chips and the like- obviously not low calorie or healthy. So I guess what I'm asking is what are some low-cal foods that are crunchy and easy to get/ cheap. (I already have those 100 cal. packs. They're expensive)!

Replies

• officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    baby carrots! yummy and cheap!!
  • MuchMovement
    MuchMovement Posts: 100
    Options
    Kale chips and wasabi peas
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love pita chips =)
  • hillbillygeek
    Options
    I've taken a real liking to Kix dry cereal - and it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper than 100 calorie packs of anything, or the protein bars/shakes, or whatever. And they are super crunchy! Whole wheat too!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots...but other than that, maybe unsalted pita chips? There are also a lot of tortilla chips now that are sold in the "health food" section at the grocery store that even though they aren't much lower in calories than other chips pack other health benefits, they are usually multigrain and have flax seeds and quinoa which are great for you. So...if you've got to snack crunchy at least look for something that will do some good for you :) I love crunchy chips too. My two favorite multigrain tortilla chips are by Food Should Taste Good and Snyder's of Hanover!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've taken a real liking to Kix dry cereal - and it's WAAAAAAAAY cheaper than 100 calorie packs of anything, or the protein bars/shakes, or whatever. And they are super crunchy! Whole wheat too!

I'm with you on a good dry cereal. I like the new Fiber One honey squares. 80 calories for 3/4 cup.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i love sugar snap peas, cucumbers, and carrots! i've even been known to eat raw green beans! :-)

ohhh.. and i'm not even sure how many calories are in one, but if i'm really needing a crunchy salty food, i LOVE those big sourdough pretzels with a little mustard or honey mustard for dipping.
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    i love baby carrots with roasted red pepper hummus or fat-free blue cheese dressing....& 100 calorie snack bags of microwave popcorn, they come in 94% fat free butter or kettle corn!
  • msnewbootie
    msnewbootie Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Whole grain Tostitos and Salsa
  • rahall14
    rahall14 Posts: 10
    Options
    Sliced cucumber in hummus. Its like a healthy chips and dip.
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find a good substitute for chips. You can try the baked and light versions which will shave about 50 calories off a one ounce serving. Is it just crunchy or crunchy/salty you are after?
  • RozeGod
    RozeGod Posts: 118
    Options
    Kale chips and wasabi peas

I just had some killer wasabi peas - they are SO GOOD!
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just tried and discovered that I love sugar snap peas. I am a huge veggie hater, but they have a great taste and an awesome crunch. I would eat them in place of a chip, which is saying A LOT.
  • angstypirates
    angstypirates Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Go Lean Kashi Crunch is amazing for satisfying crunchy cravings. I also like banana chips. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, try their Veggie Chips or Snap Pea Crisps. Both are pretty dang low-calorie, low sodium.

http://girltomom.com/skinny-mama-snacks/skinny-mama-snacks-crunchy/attachment/crunchysnacks-042

http://girltomom.com/skinny-mama-snacks/skinny-mama-snacks-crunchy/attachment/crunchysnacks-053
  • Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Popcorn! Air popped with no butter, of course, to make it a great diet snack. I eat mine with vinnegar and a bit of salt to curb chip cravings.
  • tscaringelli
    tscaringelli Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can try Beanitos. They are a little lower in fat than regular potato chips but just as crunchy. You would never know they are actually beans.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    carrot, celery and cucumber sticks, either plain or with home made hommus.

even have celery with peanut butter in the middle (yuuum)

there are these little snacks over here called 'chic nuts' they're roasted chick peas. yum.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like Jensen's Orchard Veggie chips. They are filling and a great chip alternative. I eat them like every night for a snack. Dip in some greek yogurt and YUM!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    bump for more ideas, I'm addicted to the crunch but not always a fan of plain old raw veggies
  • tiffanyforni
    Options
    Check it out.

Slice up yams kidna thin into chippy like shapes .... and den...
    heat your oven to 350...
    Mist with Olive Oil
    Sprinkle with Sea Salt

BAKE AND ENJOY!!

I call these bakies! They helped me through my 100lb weight loss and even now I continue to eat them! DEEEE-LISH!!

Tiffany Forni :D