Water drinking

Options
I have a hard time drinking 8 full glasses of water a day, i love the taste of it but i think my stomach cant take anymore. I generally drink a 4 to 6 glasses a day should i drink more then that? Tips?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    How big is your "glass"? Mfp considers and 8 oz cup to be a "glass"-- and most o my serving glasses are 12 or 16 oz. You may already be drinking more than you think!

One 16 oz glass at each meal is 6 servings-- so one more 16 oz glass in a day isn't that much!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Don't fall for the 8 glasses a day nonsense.

Keep yourself hydrated, as I assume you have been doing most of your adult life.

Remember also that our fluid needs are met by everything we eat and drink, not just plain drinks of water.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You have to mix it up. Throw in a glass of low sodium tomato juice (more potassium) or some coconut water. I struggled with water for this reason and you know water is not the only fluid that counts. Green tea, or any other tea. Sweeten to suit your own taste or goals.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. You can actually hurt yourself drinking to much water. Drink when you are thirsty, but don't force yourself if it makes you feel ill.
  • crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    One advantage to the "lots of water" school is that it's largely self- regulating. In other words, if you drink too much water you body will find a way to deal with it. (And the older you get, the better you'll understand that!) ;)

Also, if you're full of water, you may be less inclined to get yourself full of other things.

So water is unlikely to hurt - but you're probably doing just fine.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Just drink until you don't feel thirsty anymore. You get water from other sources of food/fluids throughout the day, so you're probably getting enough water without realizing it.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Just drink until you don't feel thirsty anymore. You get water from other sources of food/fluids throughout the day, so you're probably getting enough water without realizing it.

I disagree. I never felt thirsty and I was dehydrated. I realized that I was drinking MAYBE 24 oz of fluid a day sometimes less. I was never thirsty though. Dizzy and light headed, yes. Rapid heart rate, yes. Dry eyes, yes. Hungry? YES. Sometimes we mistake thirst for hunger and end up over eating. I increased my fluid intake and found my self feeling much less "hungry", dizzy, no more heart palps, no more dry eyes.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you feel well, don't worry about it.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No. That's a myth. Your fluid needs will vary based on your body weight, general health, how much you sweat, and other factors. More than you need won't help, and it can cause harm.
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    easy test: the colour of your urine. If you're dehydrated it will be dark. If you're well-hydrated it will be light/clear. If you feel like you can't drink any more, you've probably had enough. ;)