Change of diet reason I havnt lost any weight?

Options
Quick run down. I started a gym and a trainer August 26th been going to the gym 4-days a week. ( what my trainer told me to do) and had my first session with him last Thursday. Now, I'm eating higher proteins and less sugar. And smaller portion sizes but I haven't lost a pound.... I'm wondering if it's because I'm eating higher proteins? More fruits veggies and almond butter.... does it take longer to drop lbs when eating this way?

Replies

• positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    tv3mTVK.jpg
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories.

You're likely to retain extra water when you start a new exercise program. You're likely to retain less water if you are eating a lot fewer carbs. Weight loss isn't linear so you need to wait a few weeks or even months to see your weight trend.

Are you tracking your food? Weight loss is mostly about controlling your calorie intake.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Most likely water retention from exercise. Are you logging your food correctly?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    All of the above....
  • Justforme160yee
    Justforme160yee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss is all about calories.

You're likely to retain extra water when you start a new exercise program. You're likely to retain less water if you are eating a lot fewer carbs. Weight loss isn't linear so you need to wait a few weeks or even months to see your weight trend.

Are you tracking your food? Weight loss is mostly about controlling your calorie intake.

Yes, I log everything and also just bought a scale so I'm trying to weigh what ever I can. I also upped my water intake to a gal a day. I was about 1/2 gal a day before I started the gym. It does make sense. Thank you!
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
    I been under my 1450 calorie goal everyday. It's confusing. I lost 50lbs last year like nothing. But, than I was extremely obese and. From what I have read the weight comes off faster the bigger you are. I also starved my self... And this time I'm trying to do it the Healthy way. So I don't gain it all back plus some. My body is sore. Lol I'm just being. Inpatient
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I been under my 1450 calorie goal everyday. It's confusing. I lost 50lbs last year like nothing. But, than I was extremely obese and. From what I have read the weight comes off faster the bigger you are. I also starved my self... And this time I'm trying to do it the Healthy way. So I don't gain it all back plus some. My body is sore. Lol I'm just being. Inpatient

You're retaining water due to a new exercise regime.

The soreness is caused primarily as a result of microscopic tears in your muscle tissue. These tears cause inflammation which helps protect and heal the muscle fibers, this requires extra water.

Also, as your body initially adapts to a new exersice regime your glycogen stores increase. For each gram of additional glycogen stored in the muscles, your body needs 3 grams of water to store it in.

This natural increase in water will mask fat loss on the scale.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Definitely water weight for muscle repair has at least something to do with it. Stay the course and be patient for a few more weeks until things settle.
  • Justforme160yee
    Options
  • brent1980
    brent1980 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cityruss nailed it. Your gonna stay or maybe even gain a little at first. Give it more time and stick with it. Consistency is key. Your body will adapt and recover. After that the results will come.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Please also be alert for the tendency to eat back too many calories. I always find myself doing this when I start a new exercise regime. I overestimate calories burned and underestimate what I eat, because "I've earned it". Water retention is also a real thing, but if you notice you still aren't dropping weight after awhile, consider your calories in vs. out again.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you're working out more than you used to, also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may be putting on muscle so if you are staying approximately the same size, It may be that you are putting on muscle! Give it some time.
  • AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    kavahni wrote: »
    If you're working out more than you used to, also remember that muscle weighs more than fat. You may be putting on muscle so if you are staying approximately the same size, It may be that you are putting on muscle! Give it some time.

No.