Broken

Options
I'm truly suffering, and probably have depression... actually i'm sure of it.

Due to recent discovery of hypothyroidism, I've gained 40lbs in 3 years. That in itself is depressing. I've been taking synthroid now for 4 months, 50 mg, and dr says that seems to be right dose. At first I felt more energetic. I'd get up at 530 am every day and work out for 2 hours a day. I felt good. And feeling good made me not want to eat crap or binge, so I was eating healthy and staying under my calorie intake....

Did that strictly for 2 months... didn't lose one pound. not ONE! Which then brings on the depression, which brings on the poor choices is food, and not watching calorie intake... eventually i quit going to the gym.... I can cry at the drop of a hat.

My husband isn't very motivating, only tells me "you've let yourself go" or "you're not honest with yourself about your weight"... I'm honest! I'm honestly 190 lbs! He tells me "it's all about calories in vs calories out". Yeah, I know logically that IS true... I tell him to go google "hypothyroidism" and see what it says about weight gain. He says it's just an excuse. Hence, more depression, because I used to work my *kitten* off not to GAIN more weight... but I can't seem to LOSE weight. (can't ever get below 187 no matter how hard I try.)

My husband's idea of motivating is telling me that i'm "fat" or "gained a lot". He thinks that would motivate me to 'prove him wrong' and work out more and eat better. I've tried to tell him that's not how my mind works (and probably most women's) and that by telling me that only makes me more depressed and motivates me to finish off a carton of ice cream...

Can my synthroid meds be causing me to be so depressed?? How else can I battle this thyroid issue so i can actually LOSE weight? Even my trainer at the gym (looking at my intake vs output a few months back) couldn't believe that I wasn't losing...

WHAT CAN I DO??? HELP!

ps : I'm 29 years old, 5'9". Have always been active, playing soccer or basketball or gym classes like Zumba. Also, went off BC last summer thinking it MAY help by getting my natural hormones flowing, gained 12 lbs in the first month! That was with not changing my activity or diet. Was also tested for PCOS, which was negative, so I assume glucose and insulin levels are 'normal'.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    You might need to have your levels checked since you have been on it for a while.
  • jelloabz
    jelloabz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had them checked 2.5 months after starting, and they said it was right where it needed to be.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Well, let's look at the math. In 36 months, you gained 40 lbs. That is just about 1 lb per month...1/4 lb per week...which translates to about 800 extra calories in a week. 100 calories a day...just 100 more than you needed. That is one slice of bread, one cookie, one big apple. You didn't put this weight on with drastic changes in your caloric intake, and it doesn't sound as though your hypothyroidism is drastic; and now it is under control. Going from hypo- to normal doesn't speed your metabolism by any great measure, it just brings it up into a normal range. You will have as hard a time as anyone else losing weight...it sucks sometimes!

Were you measuring inches? Clothing size? What were you doing for exercise? Why did you stop after just 8 weeks?

Your husband needs an attitude adjustment, no doubt. And you may need medication for depression, or at least counseling. I have anxiety and depression and I've been on antidepressant/antianxiety meds for a while, and they help a great deal. I hope you can find a solution. :flowerforyou:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Not an easy solution, but it sounds like you need to drop your husband to start with. :( I'd look for a 2nd opinion from another dr and see a nutritionilst.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    1. can you please open your diary so i can see what you're eating on a regular basis, i think that would help.
    2. I've had a thyroid condition and that has not once hindered my ability to lose weight. I've gone from 160 to 130 within the last year and plan on finishing that last ten pounds by the end up the summer! There are some foods that you should be avoiding like the plague because they basically do nothing but reverse the effects of your medication (therefore you gain weight). If you truly believe that you have given it your best effort and are STILL not losing it might be time to up your medication. My medication increased about 3 times within the first two years before i found a level that actually worked for me. I'll tell you this because i wish someone had told me this when i was diagnosed: your doctor has very little nutritional training (in fact almost none).. i had to research hypothyroidism on my own to determine the things i should or should not eat, how much i should eat. Another little fact that just down right sucks: while we can still lose weight we have to be a little more creative and dedicated than most.

People NEVER understand a thyroid condition until they have it, they always think its just an "excuse," and sometimes I REALLY wish i could just have a normal metabolism. I don't think depression comes from a thyroid condition, but that would certainly be another thing to take straight to your doctor!

You're not the only one with a thyroid condition, so you're not alone. Feel free to message me if you need to! :)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need a second opinion regarding your synthroid. Also, I'm not sure of your age, however if you are nearing menopause, or have reached menopause that will also affect your metabolism and your mood. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to your dr about a low dose medication for depression. Also, be sure to measure your waist and hips. Alot of times you may not be losing pounds, but inches.

Don't let your husband drag you down. He is not a woman, and he has no clue about our metabolism. Ignore him like the plague. Keep working out, and keep eating right. You will get there. It won't happen overnight. You didn't gain your weight overnight, and you can't lose it overnight either. Also, make sure you are not retaining water. Sometimes we retain water, and that tells the scales that we aren't losing, when in fact we are. Even 1 10th of a pound is a success, don't forget that.
  • jelloabz
    jelloabz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, let's look at the math. In 36 months, you gained 40 lbs. That is just about 1 lb per month...1/4 lb per week...which translates to about 800 extra calories in a week. 100 calories a day...just 100 more than you needed. That is one slice of bread, one cookie, one big apple. You didn't put this weight on with drastic changes in your caloric intake, and it doesn't sound as though your hypothyroidism is drastic; and now it is under control. Going from hypo- to normal doesn't speed your metabolism by any great measure, it just brings it up into a normal range. You will have as hard a time as anyone else losing weight...it sucks sometimes!

Were you measuring inches? Clothing size? What were you doing for exercise? Why did you stop after just 8 weeks?

Your husband needs an attitude adjustment, no doubt. And you may need medication for depression, or at least counseling. I have anxiety and depression and I've been on antidepressant/antianxiety meds for a while, and they help a great deal. I hope you can find a solution. :flowerforyou:

I've measured both inches and weight.... (I'm 5' 9")
    Aug '08: ( when I felt I was in my best shape ever)
    wgt- 148
    hips- 39
    waist-28.5
    Bust-36
    thighs- 23
    biceps- 10.25

Now:
    wgt- 189
    hips- 44
    waist- 34.5
    bust- 41
    thi-26
    bi-11.5

That's a GAIN of 41 lbs, and a total of 24.5 inches!
    And with all that, of course I've made a couple boxes of "skinny clothes".
    I used to be able to buy size 9 or medium shirts without even trying them on. Now I'm embarrassed to say what size I wear.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    been there, I cannot say if for you are the same reasons, but it might help you to find out what is wrong with you. I also have hypothyroidism, I startet on 50 and am now on 137 and finally my blood work looks better there. But still I did not loose weight, I did not have any energy and deep depressions. A coworker then told me to go to the doctor and let the doctor check me for insulin resistance, because that is not done in normal blood work. Said and done and yes I was told I am insulin resistant and also had a total lack of vitamin D and B12, no wonder I wanted to sleep and then sleep and then sleep. My motivation is better now, I can finally loose weight, but not without exercise. I went from 184 to 260 in less than a half year. A lot to do with depressions too, though I am on medication for that too now and that helps. And for my weight gain... I ate between 1300 and 1500 calories a day and walked out dog between 2 and 3 hours each day and gained weight. So it can have health issues, just to be sure let them check out your vitamin levels and if you have insulin resistance, but as for the depressions, that did not change with the better blood work or the better energy and motivation.
    And when I read about your husbands attitude towards you, yes I guess my depressions would get worse too, try talking with your doctor about anti depressants and when your health gets better and motivation and energy gets up that might lift your self confidence :)
    Life is too short - live it!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What Songbyrdsweet said about depression.

I've been on antidepressants twice, and both times, they gave me the needed kick in the pants to keep pushing forward. They didn't solve all of the world's problems for me, but they made things easier to tackle. Like how wearing glasses or contacts helps you focus, my meds helped my brain focus.

Your husband is in much need of a kick in the pants, too, but in the front. :mad: Thyroid problems mean your body doesn't burn calories the same way. "Calories in vs calories out" isn't helpful.

Check back with your doctor to make sure you're on the right dose, and let them know the struggle you're having with your weight.
  • LisaCFSF
    LisaCFSF Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I'm also sure that your toxic relationship probably contributes to your self reported depression. You are beautiful no matter what size you are, remember that is NOT what defines you as a person...it's just a number. I know how much words can actually hurt, regardless of what you tell yourself about them not. Try to surround yourself with positive, like-minded people who support & motivate you. As for your husband, that is your personal business but I hope against odds for your sake that he gets a clue. Good luck & be happy! PS: You are the one in control of your own happiness, don't count on someone else to find it for you!:flowerforyou:
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    Depression is a symptom of hypothyroidism. You should be getting your levels checked every six weeks until your levels are normalized (you probably need more than one level to make sure it's normalized) and then every 6-12 months after that. Are you taking your medication at the same time, in the morning 1/2 to 1 hour before eating? Also if you're taking calcium make sure to separate your dose by a couple of hours. Finally if your levels are normal and you're still experiencing depression then you should see your doc about getting an antidepressant. It is possible to lose weight with hypothyroidism once you're stabilized on medication. It may take more than 8 weeks to start seeing results. You may need to adjust your calories up or down. I'm not sure what you were eating when you were watching your weight and not losing so I can't comment on that. Just try to decrease your calories for awhile and see if you lose weight at those. If that doesn't work maybe you weren't eating enough, that's entirely possible if you were working out for 2 hours a day. You may have to play with it to find the sweet spot for you. MFP can give you an estimate, but every body is different. By the way I am in pharmacy school which is how I know these counseling points for synthroid.

Edit: you may want to tell your doctor that you're still experiencing symptoms so you may need to adjust your dose. Sometimes switching to a different type of thyroid medication can make a huge difference. They don't prescribe it as often, but my mother swears by Armour Thyroid. You may want to ask about it. Also good point on the vitamins. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to depression as well. You should get a full workup.
  • hail87666
    hail87666 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and gained the same amount of weight to diagnose my hypothyroidism. I do believe it's miss understood and people think it's an excuse. But I also don't think that the weight gain is strictly a result of the slightly impaired metabolism. I think it's more to do with your state of mind. Do people realise that depression is one of the symptoms? And that's how it gets you. When it first started for me, I was beyond tired, I felt like I couldn't hold my body up up. I would make myself stand up on the train to work, near the door, holding onto the bar so I couldn't fall asleep and miss my stop. Working my 14 hour shifts was torture. And I was cold, ridiculously cold all the time. So naturally I stopped being as physically active, took all I could to not spend all my spare time curled up in a duvet. And I don't know about you but I hardly ate - I just didn't have an appetite which is also common. Since starting MFP I have had to make myself eat more .....and it seems to be working for me. I'll never be able to eat my exercise calories back (unless I'm going out for an indulgent meal or drinks) cause I'm just not hungry. My levels are "normal" now, even when I went to the doctor in April and cried like a baby cause I was so depressed and begged her to recheck my levels again, she said I didn't need to be on a higher dose. She also offered me antidepressants which I declined. I took a higher dose of thyroxine anyway. I had some left over from when my prescription changed before (please note I am not a medical professional and do not advise you do what I did), took it for 2 months and then went back to the doctors. I told her what I had done, told her how much better I felt (lost about a stone at this point) and she has amended my prescription. Maybe it's all psychological, but it's worked for me. And simply having more energy to do things has made me feel 100% more positive.
    I think my point is, it doesn't always matter what your "levels" are it's about how you feel, so go back to your doctor and tell them how depressed you are (it is a symptom of hypothyroidism). Maybe ask to try a higher dose for a month.
    I can't see your diary so don't know what you're eating but for me the problem was not what I was eating, I just wasn't eating often enough - i feel constantly stuffed now but the weight is shifting.
    Also your depression might have something to do with your *kitten* of a husband, what's worse than that. Either way your state of mind needs healing. Maybe you need to surround yourself with more supportive people, even if it's just us on here. Maybe it needs medically treating ...you'll know what's right for you.
    And I agree with adhillman01. I also take a vitamin D supplement.
    Get yourself back to the doctors and ask for help. Good luck xx