Husband wants me to lose weight

Options

Replies

• HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Personally, it kind of sounds like you wanted validation for your current situation rather than actual support for your weight loss. You should be excited to have someone who is supportive and on your side. He clearly loves you REGARDLESS of your size or he would probably be gone already. After all, you're the one that came to HIM about your weight loss, not the other way around. What would you want him to say? "No, don't lose weight, I love you the way you are?" Or did you actually want support, which to me it sounds like he gave you.

I recommend finding a constructive way to deal with your insecurities rather than channel it into resentment toward your spouse.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    newMDgirl wrote: »
    Thank you all for you insight. For the record I was hoping he would be supportive but more the "I'll help you if that's something you want to do." But I acknowledge that it was more likely an imperfect phrasing rather than an insult. It's not something he has experience with so he doesn't know how to talk about it. It's probably, as some suggested, more my internal negativity coloring the situation.

Yes, I think you're interpreting his comment through a negative lens. But now that you know that, you can move forward. :)

If 50 lbs is too daunting at first, make a deal that you can get XYZ rewards along the way... like a new pair of jeans at 10 lbs, some new shirts at 20 lbs, etc. to the point where you have your "new clothes" by the time you reach 50 lbs.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Mu hubby has been so super supportive of my weight loss efforts in every way imaginable, it made me realize how worried sick about me he probably was for years.

How much do YOU think you need to lose? Thank him for his support, and have a talk about how you can tackle this and ways he can support you. Write down your mutual plan. Maybe it's $ for a gym membership or an interim goal-weight outfit, or him making veggies or a salad every night for supper, taking walks with you, helping with meal planning, not buying ice cream, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    newMDgirl wrote: »
    Thank you all for you insight. For the record I was hoping he would be supportive but more the "I'll help you if that's something you want to do." But I acknowledge that it was more likely an imperfect phrasing rather than an insult. It's not something he has experience with so he doesn't know how to talk about it. It's probably, as some suggested, more my internal negativity coloring the situation.

Just be kind to yourself. And him. You can do this! I probably won't be easy, and there will likely be bad days and good days. But you can do it. Just stay positive.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes we fool ourselves in to believing the people around us haven't noticed our weight. I know I did. I thought I was so sneaky wearing solid colors and loose blouses and trying all the tricks the magazines tell you about. Then one day you say "I think I should lose some weight" and nobody looks shocked and it's a bucket of cold water for certain!

Exactly. And I was mad when someone noticed it... making it their problem when it was mine.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Great Response. This is a true support thread! Great job MFP family. :)
  • Pow377
    Pow377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a positive, you've expressed the wish to lose weight and he's being supportive by offering you new clothes when you hit a target. :-) maybe that 50 is just a number he plucked out of thin air at the time. Try not to read too much into it, enjoy the journey and look forward to that shopping trip :-)
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Do what YOU want/need to do to be who YOU need to be. He loves you. He wants you to be happy. He knows your potential. He also is a guy. Their communications skills suck some times not to mention that 50lbson a guy is a hell of a lot different than a gal. He will be thrilled when you are happy healthy and confident with yourself. Or he's a jerk and then dump him.... :D;):p:)
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I would say that he was trying to be supportive and give you a small push to start your weight loss journey. I also believe that him mentioning shopping new clothes was to give you motivation. I mean, you said yourself that "I have struggled with my weight for most of my life. It has lead me down very unhealthy paths of restricting, purging, and self-hate." It's only normal (in my opinion) for your husband to want to see you happy and I honestly do not believe he will be more affectionate if you lose weight, I mean he's with you all this time anyway right? You however will be happier and this will definitely reflect on your relationship! :smile:

I'd suggest not to let yourself into negative thoughts about your husband. Since you want to lose weight because you feel you have to take care of yourself and love yourself more, focus on that. Appreciate that your husband is supportive, you will really need him next to you along the bumps on the way. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't, and watch the egg shells. I think we need to work on our own issues instead of requiring other people to carefully craft their words around them letter by letter.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Damned if you do and damned if you don't, and watch the egg shells. I think we need to work on our own issues instead of requiring other people to carefully craft their words around them letter by letter.

^ I think this is absolutely key. If you aren't comfortable in your own skin then that is something you need to address.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I agree that its nice that he is supporting you and all but honestly , if It was me , I have to admit that I would be a little hurt. If I marry someone , I want him to marry me because he loves me the way I am. Not thinner , not fatter but the way I am. And if he complains that I need to lose weight , then he should have married someone thinner. I know most of you won't agree but I think that her husband was actually expecting her to lose weight .
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Yep, OP I had the same problem, except I was 5'5" and 106 lbs soaking wet when we married. After baby #3 (a 10-pounder, btw) I began packing on weight. When I mentioned losing weight he was waaaay too enthusiastic! So much so I was put off the idea altogether for several years.

Bottom line: Do it for you if that's what you want to do, otherwise you set yourself up for an epic fail. Then, when/if you decide to lose the weight, promise yourself to spend all of his money on a really killer new wardrobe! :D
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have. Last year he gave me an ultimatum.. lose weight by our anniversary or I'm leaving. It crushed me. It did motivate me to start bettering myself. I went from 180 to now 153. He wasn't nice about it the whole time i was busting my butt and after a while I realized it was mental and emotional abuse. I left last month and now bettering myself is less stressful and those around me lift me up and show me I'm amazing.

However, there's a huge difference between an ultimatum and what OP experienced. I'm glad you got out of that though because that's absolutely terrible.

OP, unfortunately we like to think our weight is invisible to the ones under the guise "they should love me no matter what." Although that should be a case, we use it as an excuse. I actually had a boyfriend tell me I was overweight. It was solely factual, and true, yet I still got upset at the time. And honestly? I still didn't do anything until years later when I was dating my now husband. Accept the support, continue to have conversations with your husband, but do this for you.

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Wait... You're mad because your husband is ready to support your efforts to lose?
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    "Lose 50lb and I'll pat you on the head like a good girl and buy you some clothes" is hardly supportive. At best it's downright bloody patronizing.

If he was being truly supportive, he'd have asked how much she felt she needed to lose, what she thinks are reasonable goals for getting there and what sort of support she needs.